• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Clothing for family of beginners

hwachs

Diva in Training
Hi, all! I’m taking my family of five for our first real ski trip. We’re going to June Mountain for five days in December. If you were starting from scratch outfitting a new skier for not-that-cold conditions (highs in the 40s), what would you buy? I’m the most experienced skier in the bunch, but I’ve never skied this many days in a row—do I really need multiple sets of long underwear? Or do people spend all their off time washing stuff in the hotel sink? Thank you for your wisdom!

Amie H

Angel Diva
Hi, all! I’m taking my family of five for our first real ski trip. We’re going to June Mountain for five days in December. If you were starting from scratch outfitting a new skier for not-that-cold conditions (highs in the 40s), what would you buy? I’m the most experienced skier in the bunch, but I’ve never skied this many days in a row—do I really need multiple sets of long underwear? Or do people spend all their off time washing stuff in the hotel sink? Thank you for your wisdom!
I usually only take 2 baselayer tops, 2 baselayer bottom, and 2 pairs of ski socks for a 3-4 days of skiing trip. Most of the time I've had access to laundry facilities but in Tahoe, the hotel had a heat lamp in the bathroom. I would wash things in the sink and hang up, and it'd dry quickly with the lamp on. The key thing is to attend to the clothes right after you get into your room so things have time to dry (incl outer layers.)

When my husband took snowboarding lessons for the 1st time (and ONLY time!) he over-layered and got so sweaty! With a decent jacket, a bunch of layers are not needed for mild weather. NEVER cotton - it will hang on to the perspiration and make you feel cold and damp.

Christy

Angel Diva
I bring new socks for every day but will only bring a couple base layers for a week. I do not do laundry. If you buy wool (Icebreaker, Smartwool, etc) they don't smell. And if you want to go synthetic, look for quality brands that say they are odor resistant. There's a little more trial and error with synthetics. Patagonia capilene is good. I am pretty sure my husband will only bring 1 baselayer bottom on a trip, so that can be done.

I like to bring a second jacket for going out to dinner in case my ski coat is wet from the day.

Btw when I started skiing I just wore my hiking/backpacking clothes. So rain pants over my warmest bottom base layer I took backpacking, for example. It worked.

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've actually worn wool ski socks for at least three ski days in a row without them getting gross. It's one of the reasons I have so many merino wool items of clothing - the relative lack of stench is awesome. I can only get a day out of synthetic baselayers before I don't want to wear them anymore! I don't think I've ever had high quality ones though.

Same with woolen baselayers, can comfortably get 3+ days out of them.

Btw when I started skiing I just wore my hiking/backpacking clothes. So rain pants over my warmest bottom base layer I took backpacking, for example. It worked.
Same here, borrowed rain overpants from a friend who did a lot of outdoorsy stuff and just wore them over trackpants or jeans (yeah, i didn't know much then haha). Kept me dry!

Jilly

Staff member
I take 2 sets of base layers for a week of skiing. Even "long johns" from Walmart will work. But socks are another story. 1 pr/day. My feet sweat, so I need a few pairs. They stuff easily into places in luggage. If I know I have laundry, I'll take less.

As for outer wear, we had a family friend that moved to Mexico. But they came back for Christmas every year. Grandma would hit the second hand shops and buy coats and pants for the kids. Once everyone out grew them, they gave them back to the stores.

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In addition to using rain over trousers my kids also wore their normal rain coats (marmot kids membrane type) over a fleece or down sweater weight jacket or both as their “ski shell” layering system. Worked fine for moderate temps and all the layers got plenty of use during the rest of the year as well.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Welcome! Assuming there are children involved, what age range? Have they seen snow before?

For myself I bring more socks than anything else. Lately that means 4 pairs for a one-week ski trip. I usually do laundry once mid-week.

For kids, having more than one pair of gloves/mittens is best. Do they have decent snow pants? With temps in the 40s, if they are wearing insulated snow pants, not much need for long underwear. Keeping their core warm is important. Do they have vests? What about neck warmers?

Amie H

Angel Diva
Good advice from @marzNC on making sure kids have dry gloves/mittens.

Also, if boots have removable liner, pop them out to dry once in your lodging. Can lay a towel on the floor and rest them on there. Near a heating vent is great or fireplace but not TOO near - you don't want them to melt!

I am short, so most of my "ski pants" are actually hiking or rain pants. I wear either merino wool capris or (in Spring) just typical workout capris under them. But then the pants work great for taking hikes, snowshoeing, etc too.

Maybe assign 1 large bag per family member for everything instead of suitcase+ boot bag? Less to schlep, imo. (I use an inexpensive wheeled duffle.) There is a thread here in the forums where ladies shared their individual ski trip packing strategies.

Re: outerwear
I usually pack my ski outerwear and wear a winter vest (down or polyfill) or heavyweight poncho/ruana wrap on the plane or in the car. That way, as noted by @Christy , you can let your ski gear dry and still have something for going out for dinner, etc. I also like a lighter outerwear option for travel bc then I don't get overheated and can easily stow it in my backpack if needed. It's easier to drive in a vest, too, imo. Maybe an easily packable fleece, vest, or heavyweight hoodie for the kids for travel?

Here I am after landing at EGE (Vail) in March. I was comfortable in just a down vest while navigating a rather hectic Spring Break day at Ohare, & stowing once aboard. Thin knit hat & gloves tucked into a purse in case it was chilly there.

20210321_110222.jpg

Amie H

Angel Diva
Have 100% done this as a younger, budget constrained human.
I definitely had spicier ski outfits in my younger days (college) bc mom & dad were shopping for them! I wore whatever they gave me - luckily I trusted their taste!

But, yeah, what is most important is being safe & comfortable.

brooksnow

Angel Diva
Lots of great advice here. Kids always ask why, so here are a few buying/packing thoughts along with why.

Remember sports bras. A cold clammy damp regular bra is so unpleasant. (Ok, not a kid issue unless you have teen girls but BTDT.)

You probably all already own some excellent base layers - fleece and running/fitness wicking clothing. You don't need ski specific long underwear, and the cheap long underwear is often waffle weave cotton. Cotton absorbs moisture and stays chillingly wet. On warm days I wear light running leggings and a wicking shirt as a base, on colder days it's some fleecy lined yoga pants and a light fleece turtleneck. My kids grew up wearing fleece pajamas as a first layer.

One very important consideration is that any bottoms have to be short or easily pulled up/folded above the boots. There's a saying that the only two things go inside boots - socks and feet. Any extra bulk or clumping in boots can cause blisters and affect the fit.

Ski socks should be thin and go over the calf. Thick socks will require oversized boots to fit and will compress as you turn, giving you less control as your feet slop from side to side. Shorter socks bunch up as you ski. The good news is thin ski socks wash easily by hand and dry quickly.

In addition to warm mittens if it's cold, have some light gloves if it's warm. These don't have to be ski specific, just something to protect your hands. Snow crystals, ice and ski edges can scrape unprotected hands. And yes to the multiple pairs for kids suggestion, especially if they're going to be playing in the snow too.

Have fun and let us know all about your trip!

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
With clean underpants under leggings/long johns (no cotton) kids, and even non sweaty grownups can wear same base layer for 3-4-5 days. I advise 2 pair socks per kid mostly wool, not too thick, airing inside out and alternating days. May not need to wash. PJs or fleece pants a great idea if you don’t want to commit to long Johns. Also I swear by Lands End bibs for kids. They come w room to grow hems, and are extremely durable…3 seasons. And DEFINITELY extra mittens/socks and bring them to the mountain. Losing or soaking a mitten or sock can ruin everyone’s day. I still bring extras when skiing w my kids ages 21 and 22! What a Mom!

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
I can highly recommend the thicker Target C9 long undies for the kids as a base layer. They are wicking and keep you cozy. We skied into the single digits here, and the kids were fine in those and their Lands End snow pants/jackets with a fleece mid-layer on top. To be fair, they are hearty midwestern stock who are accustomed to that outfit. ;)

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi @hwachs I love June Mountain! - have you been there before? The only reason I ask is that the early morning ride up J1 can be a bit nippy. If you are totally starting from scratch check out eBay/ poshmark etc a good source for outgrown but high end ski wear.

newboots

Angel Diva
Hello! I also recommend merino socks. They will have them until they grow out of them and pass them to the next younger kid. No smell, wear like iron. Darn Tough brand will replace your socks when (if!) they wear out!

And it's great to have you here!

:welcome:

Eera

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Personally I only wear a pair of thick tights and thin socks under my ski pants and have never had an issue with being cold (though to be fair my regular slopes are rarely below -10C) - they do get pretty rancid and I wouldn't go for more than two days on a pair but they fold up to nothing so plenty of room. A long sleeved T-shirt and a thermal on top under jacket and I'm good to go. Kids tend to wear regular close-fitting trackie daks under their snow pants (Aldi specials! they've done the kids for 4 seasons) and a hoodie under jacket on top. We don't venture away from the groomers though, and being mainly ski-in-ski-out it's easy for us to layer up or down for conditions.

Last edited:

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’d say focus on feet, head, hands for purchases, go through closets to hunt for other usable stuff. So socks, helmet, gloves or mitts. Sierra has good prices for all 3, but also check Level 9.

And feel free to file this under “bad mom “ advice, but two sets of anything that gets wet, and if things start to get stinky, heck, it’s only for a few days. Stick the kids in the tub and clean pjs for when you’re hanging out within sniffing distance and make sure they start with everything dry in the morning. Done.

Eera

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have no idea what trackie daks are but I’m going to choose an item of clothing and start calling it that!

Signed,

Aussie/Kiwi Slang Fan
"Sweatpants" I believe is the Transatlantic term.

There's a great thread on Reddit for the Most Australian Sentence Ever, I quite like: I was looking for my thongs but they weren't double pluggas and were cactus. So I cadged some durries from Bazza and we reckoned we'd go on a Macca's run. But there was a bingle on the Broady 'cause some dropkick was hooning his ute outside the servo so we spat the dummy and picked up a slab from the bottle-o then spent the arvo getting maggoted.

I can assure you this makes perfect sense to an Australian :becky::becky:

Jilly

Staff member
I remember a scene on Bondi Beach Rescue. They had used the pain killers on a Quebecer. The lifeguards asked him about any thongs. He understood as asking if had any underwear, not footwear. Flip flops is the term here, although I grew with them as thongs.

Back to clothes that are good for winter!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna