• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Climbing divas

Pocono bunny

Certified Ski Diva
I'm wondering if there are any other divas out there who are into rock climbing. I'm just a beginner and haven't gotten outside yet, but I love climbing as a foil to skiing. Sometimes traveling upward is a nice change!

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think there was another thread about this previously, and there are a few climbers floating around here. I have been climbing for a few years now, both trad and sport.

This year I am stoke to have upcoming trips to the RRG in Kentucky and my big splurge, climbing in Finale Ligure on the Italian Riviera. Climbing + vino = !!!

I see your name is Pocono--- do you live in PA? If so, where? I live by Valley Forge and we frequently go to Birdsboro for crowded chossy sport climbing and climb regularly at the PRG in Oaks.

K.

bouldergirl

Certified Ski Diva
I also sport climb (mostly indoors, but am working up the confidence to lead outdoors). I've just moved to Boulder, CO after 3 years in Chicago (originally from Calgary, Alberta), and am looking forward to some spring/summer climbing here. It's definitely quite a different workout as compared to skiing! Tons of fun though!

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Bouldergirl- I am planning a move to CO this fall from PA! We were hoping for Boulder, but looks like we will be in the Springs for a year or so until we can finagle a move to the Denver/Boulder area.

My husband recently took a work trip to Boulder and took a hike by Eldo, the pictures look phenomenal- what a great place to climb and so close to the city! You are going to have great fun this warm season!

K.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
I climbed for several years then when I started kayaking, just couldn't find the time. Now that I'm in New Mexico for the summer, I have been able to get back out climbing. There are some awesome areas close by here. I am currently just top roping, mostly in White Rock Canyon.

I did some sport climbing years ago in the gym and in Utah.

I realized how much I missed being on the rock! Now that I am back at it I am going to keep it up....it is a great workout and a great mental challenge! I was surprised that my body remembered how to make some difficult moves after 3 years....but I paid for it the next day in muscle soreness!:laugh:

Pocono bunny

Certified Ski Diva
first whipper!

Hey divas, hope you're having a good climbing season. I started this thread awhile back, and now I'm really into outdoor sport climbing. I took my first whipper leading outside this past weekend but only sprained my ankle, thank God. If anyone's from southeast PA I'll be climbing at birdsboro quarry this Sunday and would love to meet some divas!

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Pocono bunny, I won't be there this Sunday but Bboro is right in my neck of the woods (well nearer than any other crags). You should have a good time, the weather looks much cooler. For some reason it always seems that the quarry gets more crowds on Sunday than Saturday, which is weird. Have fun!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I climb, mostly indoors at the BRC in Boulder, Colorado, but I have been making some forays into the outdoors - this year I seconded the first Flatiron, the second Flatiron, and just yesterday I did some routes in Eldo (Eldorado Canyon). I challenge myself physically in the gym; outdoors, I find that even low-rated stuff is plenty challenging, not to mention beautiful. The gym is go, go, go! ... outdoors, with my set of climbing partners, is much more about the outdoor experience and, of course, safety.

Kari_P

Certified Ski Diva
I started climbing seven years ago, but I've done it very sporadically, so I'm better than the average beginner, but not by all that much. I've also worked for a few different outdoor education centers, so have a lot of experience setting up ropes courses, tying knots, playing with hardware, and belaying. I've done mostly top rope climbing and some multipitch, but never lead, although I'd feel really comfortable doing it on an easy 5.5 or 5.6 route. I would like to get back into climbing, but most of my friends are either newbs or climbing die hards, so its hard to find people who have the gear plus a wall with routes that are both easy and really challenging. I'm probably a 5.7-5.8 climber, but the only climbing I've done recently is at our Y, where there are no routes taped, and I'm not experienced enough to just for myself how challenging or easy a particular route is.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Have you climbed with your die hard climber friends? The reason I ask is, if you can belay, I don't see why they wouldn't let you tag along for a day of cragging or something, it would benefit them because they'd get an experienced belayer and you would get to follow their harder leads, thus getting better. In our group of climbing friends, we are always looking to 'mentor' newer climbers... if they're passionate about the sport, then its fun to take them out and watch them get better! I bet your climbing friends feel the same!

Pocono bunny

Certified Ski Diva
+1 to Kimmyt. I started climbing outside with a few friends, and I learned to lead outside on 5's and and 6's. I can lead up to a 5.9 now, although tentatively. I'm always willing to take new people outside, but only if I have a few people going with us. Once you get comfortable lead belaying and get some practice, it's going to be easier to climb more. One thing you might want to think about is joining a climbing gym- best way to make new climbing friends.

Kari_P

Certified Ski Diva
Kimmyt: My most die hard climbing friend is the one who taught me to climb and we both just moved to the same general area, so I'm hoping to climb with him. My other climber friends I've met at school and haven't climbed with yet, but most don't own their own gear for climbing outdoors.

Pocono bunny: The closest climbing gym is an hour away and way too expensive for my budget, however the Y down the street has a decent wall. The free climb hours are pretty much non-existent, but one of my classmates teaches the kids climbing programs there, so I've been climbing with her and a few teenage girls during the teen climbs on Thursday evenings, plus she's trying to start a women's climb. The Y is so much more affordable and accessible than a straight climbing gym, plus offers free classes, a weight room, fitness center, basketball gym, pool, and other facilities that make it totally worth it.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Bumping this, as climbing season is upon us. Anyone out there that's been getting some climbing days in?

I have been hitting the gym (Boulder RC) once a week, usually a Tuesday or THursday, to get my strength and endurance back and my husband and I have been heading out to the various local crags after work on the alternate day depending on weather. It's really nice to be in a place where you can get some routes done after work because everything is so close! Our weekends are still spend skiing until the resorts close, and then we can start doing some weekend climbing trips.

In a few weeks we're headed to Red Rocks (NV) to get some desert climbing in, which should be fun, and meeting up with some old friends from the east coast we haven't seen in a while.

Anyone else have any trips planned?

Ringrat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I climb. Almost no gym climbing this winter though. I didn't have the motivation to drive an hour to the bouldering gym.

Elkford's not really close enough to any crags that I'll be able to get much after-work climbing in this year either, but I'm hopeful that there'll be some weekend exploring happening. I am determined to get down to Stonehill while I'm close. Once I head back to the West Kootenays in the late summer I'll be back in a place where after-work climbing is accessible and that should help the frequency out!

So here we are...ski hills closed, but still -10C and snowing on an almost daily basis. I've been getting a bit of touring, but it's definitely not rock climbing season here yet!

I headed to Red Rocks last March for a climbing trip and LOVED it. I'm jealous!

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ringrat, I also didn't do any climbing this winter! My first time out since December, a few weeks ago, and I was soooo weak. I struggled to lead a 5.6 and then felt like I'd been beaten with a sledgehammer. Of course, it was also the day after a long run, but my arms were killing me!

Good luck on getting through the in-between season, those are the hardest.

I am hoping it won't be too hot on our upcoming trip. May can be iffy like that, but hopefully the weather will be ok and not too hot. Either that or we will be doing single pitch sport climbing, and I'd hate to drive 10 hours just for that!

B

B.E.G.

Ooh timely! I'm looking into starting, and I actually found a rock climbing gym near where I'm moving in the Bay Area, so I'm excited to start in a couple months!

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Cool! Hope you enjoy it! I find it very different from skiing, in that it's not so much an adrenaline rush/speed thing, but it's more internalized. I almost find it on par with yoga in that it requires one to get inside oneself and really focus on your body and mind.

Plus it gives you killer back and shoulder muscles. :smile:

Ringrat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Plus it gives you killer back and shoulder muscles. :smile:

Sure does! It drives my mother nuts 'cause none of my sweaters fit anymore. :D

I am hoping it won't be too hot on our upcoming trip. May can be iffy like that, but hopefully the weather will be ok and not too hot. Either that or we will be doing single pitch sport climbing, and I'd hate to drive 10 hours just for that!

We got snowed off the rock on our March trip, and then had to climb on limestone for a day to let everything dry out. We had a mixed group as far as experience went, with some good climbers just starting to trad climb, so we did a mix of sport and trad. Capped it all off with a run up Cat in the Hat on our last day, which was a super fun 5.6 multi (trad).

I can't wait to get out...but I look out the window of the office across the hall and all I can see are snowflakes against the pile of coal...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna