• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Climbers?

ellae

Certified Ski Diva
Does anyone on here climb? Right now I only do indoors at Evo rock gym in Portland, Maine, but I would like to start dipping my toes in the real outdoors. Does anyone climb around here or in the White Mountains? Just curious!

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My husband and I met climbing at the Gunks in NY and I've done some climbing up in NH back when I lived on the East Coast (I went to Rumney a few times, have climbed Whitehorse and Cathedral, some in the Daks in NY). We used to climb A LOT and have climbed many places, but I have a toddler and am pregnant with #2 now so we don't get out as much. They are building a climbing gym in my town- with hopefully childcare! so maybe I can get back into it after this baby when I'm done procreating. I've been a few days in the past few years, but nothing major and my gear is definitely gathering dust!

Soujan

Angel Diva
I've dabbled in climbing. Been to the indoor gym near me and also try to get a climbing day in while on vacation. I've climbed at the Gunks, Acadia, Red Rock Canyon and hopefully Yosemite later this month. I have my owe harness and shoes. DH has been going a lot and is learning to top rope and build anchors.

DeweySki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am in your same boat...just started indoors and looking to start going outdoors. I picked it up as a "summer" sport because I was experiencing a huge let down after ski season. So far I like it!

socalgal

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:bump:

I've been climbing, indoors only so far, for the past year or so. I go to a smallish gym in Orange County, Ca. It's great to get stronger and be able to climb things that initially were "just" out of reach.

luliski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I used to climb a bit. I lived in San Francisco with a couple of climbers. One of them had spent his teen and college summers at Yosemite climbing. We all joined an indoor gym, and my housemates taught me about outdoor climbing. I met my ex at the climbing gym, and we have a daughter together who is now 22. Now my climbing is limited to occasional indoors (my old housemates and I have all moved away from San Francisco). One lives in Bozeman, and is still an avid climber. The other moved to Mt. Shasta, and I think he's stopped climbing. If you hang around the climbing gym enough, and maybe post notices looking for climbing partners, you might find people to "teach you the ropes." Just make sure they know what they're doing! I never got skilled enough at outdoor climbing to be able to teach anyone or to go without someone more experienced, and I miss it!

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been rediscovering my love of climbing recently. I've found a few other moms of young kids who had former lives as climbers and we are all pushing the stoke for each other, its amazing. Mostly in the gym right now, but I've been getting stronger and getting my head back in order and I'm hoping to get a morning out at a local crag in the next few weeks.

socalgal

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been rediscovering my love of climbing recently. I've found a few other moms of young kids who had former lives as climbers and we are all pushing the stoke for each other, its amazing. Mostly in the gym right now, but I've been getting stronger and getting my head back in order and I'm hoping to get a morning out at a local crag in the next few weeks.

Nice! So far, we are the only ones at our gym bringing our little one. DD is a rock hound and will soon blow right pass her parents, lol. Her strength to weight ratio is MUCH better than ours.:boxing:

socalgal

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, I just competed in my first bouldering comp! It was a red point format and a whole lot of fun. I was pleasantly surprised to have won the intermediates catergory. :clap: The field of women was small, but I still got a cool goodie bag of prizes. Woo woo!

MissySki

Angel Diva
I haven't really climbed much beyond high school gym class for a bunch of semesters because we had a cool indoor climbing wall which I don't think is very common at other schools. The point of it was a focus on team building more than the actual climbing, but it was really fun. I've thought about trying again, but the gyms I've looked at recently require that you have a partner to switch off belaying with and I don't have anyone local to go with. Then yesterday on Facebook I saw that a new climbing gym local to me in RI is having a women's night meetup on Wednesday nights. I inquired about being a beginner and whether I needed a partner and was told that beginners are welcome and no partner is needed. Sooooo perhaps I'll try it out sometime soon. :smile:

luliski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I haven't really climbed much beyond high school gym class for a bunch of semesters because we had a cool indoor climbing wall which I don't think is very common at other schools. The point of it was a focus on team building more than the actual climbing, but it was really fun. I've thought about trying again, but the gyms I've looked at recently require that you have a partner to switch off belaying with and I don't have anyone local to go with. Then yesterday on Facebook I saw that a new climbing gym local to me in RI is having a women's night meetup on Wednesday nights. I inquired about being a beginner and whether I needed a partner and was told that beginners are welcome and no partner is needed. Sooooo perhaps I'll try it out sometime soon. :smile:
In my experience, it's pretty easy to meet other solo climbers at the gym. Most gyms also have a bouldering area you can work on without a partner (as you keep an eye out for other solo people). My local gym also has auto-belay devices on some wall, but I'm not sure how common those are. The women's meetup sounds great!

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Dooeeeeeet!

Climbers are usually pretty friendly. They might seem intimidating or whatever but as @luliski mentioned, bouldering can be a great way to meet up. If you pick a night to go regularly you will probably start seeing the same faces around and you can meet some great people! Or just do like I did and find a local fb group for climbers and advertise looking for one. I've found two solid partners that way. They also do a women's meetup which sounds awesome but I haven't yet needed to go to that to get my fix.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just have to post because I'm quite chuffed right now. I've been getting back into climbing in the past few months and recently have been noticing some awesome improvements. Met some good partners and am climbing several times a week, and have seen my lead grades improve remarkably! Just today at the gym I led a 10c and 10d clean- a week ago I was barely doing 10bs! Plus I led outside the other day for the first time in YEARS and felt pretty great. Finally feel like I'm seeing light at the end of the tunnel after having my second baby and getting a bit of 'myself' back!!

swrJdI3.jpg

Pulling a roof the other day!

socalgal

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just have to post because I'm quite chuffed right now. I've been getting back into climbing in the past few months and recently have been noticing some awesome improvements. Met some good partners and am climbing several times a week, and have seen my lead grades improve remarkably! Just today at the gym I led a 10c and 10d clean- a week ago I was barely doing 10bs! Plus I led outside the other day for the first time in YEARS and felt pretty great. Finally feel like I'm seeing light at the end of the tunnel after having my second baby and getting a bit of 'myself' back!!

swrJdI3.jpg

Pulling a roof the other day!

Awesome! I REEEEEAAAALLLLLYYYY want to get into outdoor climbing. Keep on fueling the stoke!

socalgal

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Do it! Do it! Do it!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gilly1965