• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add webmaster@theskidiva.com to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Choosing skis for kids

I called one ski shop for some suggestions for my kiddos and was kind of surprised at the advice I got especially regarding length. Does anyone have a person they trust to ask such questions?

Son is 10. 55 inches tall and 74 lbs. He is an advanced skier who likes speed on groomers and moguls mostly but will ski trees with his sister. Rec was for Salomon XDR 80 at 140 cm.

Sister is age 12, 58 inches tall and 118 lbs. She is a solid intermediate and prefers feeling in control to speed. She loves to ski trees. Rec was for Rossi Black Ops Dreamer 150 cm. She also has her eye on my Yumis....

Looking for a solid all mountain skis since our plans are up in the air. One part of the family owns a ski home in UT and the other in VT. Who knows what Covid will mean but leaning toward UT at the moment.

Would love to get two seasons out of the skis but not at the expense of them being overwhelmed or worse getting hurt esp during Covid times.

Son is 10. 55 inches tall and 74 lbs. He is an advanced skier who likes speed on groomers and moguls mostly but will ski trees with his sister. Rec was for Salomon XDR 80 at 140 cm.

Sister is age 12, 58 inches tall and 118 lbs. She is a solid intermediate and prefers feeling in control to speed. She loves to ski trees. Rec was for Rossi Black Ops Dreamer 150 cm. She also has her eye on my Yumis....

Looking for a solid all mountain skis since our plans are up in the air. One part of the family owns a ski home in UT and the other in VT. Who knows what Covid will mean but leaning toward UT at the moment.

Would love to get two seasons out of the skis but not at the expense of them being overwhelmed or worse getting hurt esp during Covid times.
Are you thinking the recommendations are too long or too short? I'm actually about the same size as your daughter, a few pounds lighter, a little taller. My narrower skis that I used in the east are 148cm, 78 underfoot. My all-mountain skis are 159cm, 85 underfoot.

My daughter switched to tele so never used the next pair of skis I bought for her when she was about 4'11 and 105 lbs, which were 149cm, 70 underfoot. I ended up using them for a while before I decided on some narrow skis for mid-Atlantic skiing.

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The lengths didn’t seem too long to me. My kids are the same age and the younger also the more aggressive skier. She is a little lighter at about 65lb. The 11 years old is about the same height and weight as your daughter. I have the small going on her sister’s from last year 145cm 78 underfoot and the older one is having a chance on my old 161cm 88 mm underfoot ski. I feel these lengths are a tad long—will be on the snow in about a week to find out and hopefully they are ok. I think the lengths you mentioned would have been ideal fwiw.

Staff online

Members Online