• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Choosing nordic skis

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Hi, I’m also interested in Nordic skiing... for me the hardest part is the clothing. I always end up feeling uncomfortably hot while Nordic skiing and then as soon as I stop I am freezing cold completed drenched in sweat. I see some of the people at the Nordic center in very expensive looking specialized garments. I do not have the opportunity for Nordic skiing very often and would prefer not to spend a fortune. Any advice? P.S. Should this be a separate discussion topic? It’s related but not exactly. Thank you :smile:

Thing about it like dressing in layers and not too many. Lots of folks wear cycling tops and jackets as they do perfect double duty. Beginners have a tendency to overdress. Think layers, venting, breathable. Skating will generate a lot more heat than classic, but still. I wear warm tights, a wool base layer, a light vest (that may or may not come off) and vary jacket weight depending on how cold it really is. I wear more that some people. My hub hardley wears anything on top. The idea you start out cold and will be just right 1/2 mile down the trail as you get warmed up.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I feel like this is a dumb question, but how do you store and also transport cross country skis? Basically I’m like hmmmm no brakes so there is no way to just keep them together naturally. Do you use the same type of strap as on downhill skis, or do narrower nordic ones exist? Or do you just stand or lay them side by side for storage and transport, and I’m overthinking it completely?

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
I feel like this is a dumb question, but how do you store and also transport cross country skis? Basically I’m like hmmmm no brakes so there is no way to just keep them together naturally. Do you use the same type of strap as on downhill skis, or do narrower nordic ones exist? Or do you just stand or lay them side by side for storage and transport, and I’m overthinking it completely?

Side by side - or perhaps a rubber band would work...

Jilly

Staff member
Mine came with straps advertising the store...

As far a transporting - I do see lots in roof racks. Just remember to point the tails forward. That way the tips don't get all the crap off the roads, and won't bend at speed.

Christy

Angel Diva
I FiNALLY have a cross country lesson scheduled for Monday morning in Maine. So excited!!

That is great! I haven't been nearly as much as I expected due to all the snow and highway closures, and then wanting to downhill ski on calm days...I was going to go last Wednesday, and the forecast was great, but then they announced a 3 hour avy closure on I-90 between Seattle and Snoqualmie Pass and I didn't want to get stuck on the other side of that. But, we are going up to the Methow Valley next weekend, so hopefully conditions will be good.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Going back to boots and bindings. Since most nordic skis last forever if well cared for, I am reluctant to recommend a combi boot. Having taught both classis and skate, I really find that a comfy classic boot will be great for long tours, while a quality skate boot sort of sucks for diagonal stride skiing.

Also, not only are there two main non compatible binding/boot systems, but for classic the bar on the touring beefier boot does not fit into the narrower version of the same company's binding. Also, some skate ski bindings only work with a very specific skate ski boot.

I have velcro straps for carrying mine, but at the nordic center we just used produce rubber bands.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Going back to boots and bindings. Since most nordic skis last forever if well cared for, I am reluctant to recommend a combi boot. Having taught both classis and skate, I really find that a comfy classic boot will be great for long tours, while a quality skate boot sort of sucks for diagonal stride skiing.

Also, not only are there two main non compatible binding/boot systems, but for classic the bar on the touring beefier boot does not fit into the narrower version of the same company's binding. Also, some skate ski bindings only work with a very specific skate ski boot.

I have velcro straps for carrying mine, but at the nordic center we just used produce rubber bands.

Is there such a thing as a combo skate/classic ski? What is a combi boot...use it with two different pairs of skis (skate/classic? Thanks.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
While I have been out of the new hear loop for a while, there is not yet to my knowledge, or likely to ever be, a combo skate and classic ski. The camber is different, one has a kick zone that allows for forward propulsion the other uses the ski at an angle and the edge, not the base, for forward propulsion. The stiffness and lengths also differ.

Skate skiing evolved out of the skating moves classic skiers, one in particular, did in races to go faster. They became distinct disciplines, and from then on the gear evolved to make skating a truly unique sport with very different movement patterns.

ling

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, there’re combi skis that can be used for skate and classic. you just need to use kick wax in the kick zone for classic. My ski buddy has a pair like that. I personally would find the need to wax annoying.

Combi boots, on the other hand, are the best thing since sliced bread! Good lateral stability and still easy to kick. I have both skate and combi boots. I just grab the combi most days.

MissySki

Angel Diva
@lisamamot and I did a a cross country lesson today, and I think it was quite successful. Our instructor got us to feeling comfortable enough to spend several more hours explorings groomed trails and fields on our own after the lesson which was great. I loved the quiet of the wooded trails and the mountain views from the wide open groomed field tracks, we also were lucky enough to have a fabulous blue bird day.

It was actually harder to get used to this type of skiing than I thought it would be, I went back and forth on feeling balanced or like I was about to fall over haha. It’s funny because your front leg being the opposite of your poling arm should be natural since it’s how we swing our arms when walking.. yet it was something I totally kept getting tripped up on. Our conditions were quite icy so that likely didn’t help in some cases. Not having metal edges is also really disconcerting on firm groomers, especially trying to wedge down little hills. That piece got better when I more aggressively wedged versus the dainty thing I started with though. Wedging down and herringboning and side stepping up were at least all things that made sense and transferred well from downhill skiing.

It’s funny to be transformed back into a total beginner at sliding on snow. Very humbling!!
Overall I had a really fun time, it was a great change of pace. Looking forward to getting out and practicing more!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly