• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Choosing a first all-mountain ski

SierraLuLu

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hello! New diva here! I’m looking to buy my first pair of skis before winter hits this year.

About me: west coast skier, mostly Mammoth. 5’4” 135 lbs, upper intermediate skier who can manage about 10-15 days per year.

From what I’ve been on so far, I prefer lighter, shorter, more playful skis with a smaller turning radius. I’m spend a lot of time off trail and in Mammoth it’s easy to encounter powder, ice, and crud all in the same day. I have decent form but not a ton of strength and I’m cautious about going fast. At the end of the day, I’d be willing to sacrifice speed for a ski that can get me through tight terrain in a pinch.

I’m looking at skis that are about 85-95 mm and I’ve singled out the following models as possibilities:
- Blizzard Black Pearl 88
- Blizzard Sheeva 9
- Line Pandora 94
- Nordica Santa Ana 93
- Salomon QST Lux 92
- Volkl Yumi

Note that I’m looking at last years models since they’re on sale for several of these skis right now.

I’d love to hear from anyone who has experience with this skis, or who has a suggestion for something I might like better.

Thanks!!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Welcome!!

I’m pretty much your exact size and started skiing the Blizzard sheeva 9 in a 164 as my daily driver last season. I LOVE it. I ski in Maine mostly, and prefer to be in bumps and trees as much as possible. These skis are so very versatile and turn on a dime, they can also hold a surprisingly good edge on icy groomers. I’ve demoed everything else on your list except the Line, and the Sheeva is definitely my favorite. Second choice would be the Santa Ana 93 for me. Good luck with your selection!!! Will you be able to demo early season? That is the best way to really figure out what you like because it is really so subjective.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hello! New diva here! I’m looking to buy my first pair of skis before winter hits this year.

About me: west coast skier, mostly Mammoth. 5’4” 135 lbs, upper intermediate skier who can manage about 10-15 days per year.

From what I’ve been on so far, I prefer lighter, shorter, more playful skis with a smaller turning radius. I’m spend a lot of time off trail and in Mammoth it’s easy to encounter powder, ice, and crud all in the same day. I have decent form but not a ton of strength and I’m cautious about going fast. At the end of the day, I’d be willing to sacrifice speed for a ski that can get me through tight terrain in a pinch.

I’m looking at skis that are about 85-95 mm and I’ve singled out the following models as possibilities:
- Blizzard Black Pearl 88
- Blizzard Sheeva 9
- Line Pandora 94
- Nordica Santa Ana 93
- Salomon QST Lux 92
- Volkl Yumi

Note that I’m looking at last years models since they’re on sale for several of these skis right now.

I’d love to hear from anyone who has experience with this skis, or who has a suggestion for something I might like better.

Thanks!!
What skis have you been skiing on? Rentals? Demos? If you've been any current skis, were there any that you liked or disliked? What lengths?

I've skied and/or owned all of those skis except the Pandoras. Any one of them will fit the bill for you which means it would really come down to personal preference.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'll add the Kastle FX 85 to the list. But it on sale for sure since this is an expensive ski and you won't get a chance to try it out before plunking down the cash.

These skis are smooth in all conditions. Damp is the word for that. They are torsionally strong, so when you tip them up on edge they hold well, so they are very good for carving on hard snow. For a light (read: woman, not big man) skier, their flex pattern is great and they bend without too much speed and weight so you can carve/schmeer your turns with a short radius whenever you like. Mine are perfect in the bumps, and in New England's heavy cut-up crud.

Used demo skis for sale are one way to keep the price down. I LOVE mine. Unless you are big and heavy, you don't need the HP version of these skis so you can look for the regular version of them. Demo bindings will make adjusting the bindings to fit your boots easy.

Bookworm

Angel Diva
I have the BP88. I've only had them one season and they are the first skis I've owned. I've skied them only out West and not in anything deeper than ankle deep powder and they are a strong ski. They are easy to turn on hard and soft snow. The only thing I don't like about them is the way they work in crud, but I'm not sure it's the ski. I am 5'5" and way 150. I have the 156 and I wonder if they'd do better in crud if they were longer. Anyway, my 2 cents

Pixie Perfect

Certified Ski Diva
I am 5’2” & primarily ski Tahoe. Last winter I demoed both Blizzard BP 88 in 152 and Volkl Yumi in 147 (2019 models). I had a lot of fun skiing on both skis and would have been happy with either.

I thought the BP were great in soft slushy snow. I typically struggle in those conditions but powered through without falling once.

When I demoed the Yumi it was on perfect snow conditions. The snow was nice to smear around on and I just had a lot of fun. My dad thought I was making great parallel turns on the skis and was edging nicely. I even ventured onto a tough blue run and felt very in control & confident.

Both skis made me feel a lot more confident in previously difficult conditions for me and I could see myself growing my skills with either ski!

I ultimately ended up with the Yumi as my local shop only had BPs in 145. I can’t wait to get out on my new skis this winter!

SierraLuLu

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What skis have you been skiing on? Rentals? Demos? If you've been any current skis, were there any that you liked or disliked? What lengths?

I’ve rented, I haven’t demoed and tbh most of the skis I’ve been on have been pretty narrow, including some carving skis out east. I ended up sizing down from ~155cm to ~150cm when some rental house didn’t have my size, and I ended up enjoying the shorter skis a lot more than I thought I would. I had the most fun on a pair of 149 Dynastar Glory 74s but I would like something a little more stable that can handle more powder. Last season I basically went from skiing blues and some blacks on cheap rental skis to at the end of the season just starting to explore double blacks and trickier terrain like chutes and steeper trees. I want to find something I won’t grow out of but at the same time don’t want a ski that will overwhelm me.

I’m wondering if I just need to suck it up and do a good demo day, but I also don’t want to spend $600+ if some of these models listed are selling for less than $500 online right now. I also don’t want to go another winter without owning skis.

Ps. Many thanks to those who have replied!! I obviously have a lot of good choices. =)

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
150ish is REALLY short for you, particularly with skis with rocker. Since you haven't skied anything as a demo and therefore of the type of construction as the skis you have on your list, I'd highly recommend a demo day with the skis longer than what you've so far preferred. I'd not put you on anything shorter than a 159 in the Black Pearl, for instance. And I'd recommend you try the Sheeva 9 in a 164. I'm an inch taller than you and even those lengths are a bit short for me. Any of those skis are going to feel lightyears better than what you've been skiing on, especially off-piste.

mountainwest

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
150ish is REALLY short for you, particularly with skis with rocker. Since you haven't skied anything as a demo and therefore of the type of construction as the skis you have on your list, I'd highly recommend a demo day with the skis longer than what you've so far preferred.
Agreed! And since you mentioned that you would like a more stable ski, definitely try something in the 160s in length.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Agreed! And since you mentioned that you would like a more stable ski, definitely try something in the 160s in length.

I’ll chime in here too. As I said in a previous post, I’m pretty much your same exact height and weight.. my first pair of skis were 147 and that was when I was very very slow and timid. As soon as I started skiing any real terrain at speed, they got scary chattery. Now I usually ski lengths from the mid to high 160s. It sounds like you are skiing challenging terrain now, and could benefit from a bit more length since you are wanting more stability. It can be scary to just jump up in size, so it might be very with your while to demo so you can try different lengths in multiple skis before making a decision.

Jilly

Staff member
I'm 5'4 too, but got 20lbs on you. My carvng skis are 154. My tip rockered carvers are 161 and my wide skis 95 are 171. So some more comparisons.

Demo. $500 is still a lot on money if you don't love them.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I’m wondering if I just need to suck it up and do a good demo day, but I also don’t want to spend $600+ if some of these models listed are selling for less than $500 online right now. I also don’t want to go another winter without owning skis.
May not be the right solution for you, but what I did once I was skiing >5 days a season was buy a really cheap pair of used skis online, under $150. They were former rental skis and quite short. At the time I was skiing at small hills in the southeast with young kids, so just wanted to avoid the rental process for the 3-4 ski weekends based on driving a few hours.

By the time I bought the first pair of skis, I'd already learned enough about boot fitting to have bought decent boots from a local boot fitter. They were relatively inexpensive rec boots but good enough for an intermediate skiing < 20 days.

Candebsna

Certified Ski Diva
I'm in the same boat but I'm bigger, 5'9" and 165. I ski primarily Mammoth with the occasional out of state CO trip. I'm eyeing the BP 82 in the 160 range. I know it's short but my struggle is turning so I prefer a shorter, slower ski.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm in the same boat but I'm bigger, 5'9" and 165. I ski primarily Mammoth with the occasional out of state CO trip. I'm eyeing the BP 82 in the 160 range. I know it's short but my struggle is turning so I prefer a shorter, slower ski.
What have you been skiing on? Have they ever been tuned?

Candebsna

Certified Ski Diva
I have the BP88. I've only had them one season and they are the first skis I've owned. I've skied them only out West and not in anything deeper than ankle deep powder and they are a strong ski. They are easy to turn on hard and soft snow. The only thing I don't like about them is the way they work in crud, but I'm not sure it's the ski. I am 5'5" and way 150. I have the 156 and I wonder if they'd do better in crud if they were longer. Anyway, my 2 cents
What do you mean about the crud? Do they drag in it?

newboots

Angel Diva
You’ll be amazed when you get them tuned. I hate to say it because of the expense, but be sure your boots fit and are in good shape.

Welcome!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been skiing on 15 year old Dynastars at 162 length. At their skinniest waist they are 67mm. Never been tuned!
Stay in that length or close to it. Any of those skis are going to feel lightyears better than what you've been on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna