• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Cherry blossoms in DC

marzNC

Angel Diva
Took a quick impromptu trip up to DC to catch the cherry blossoms at peak a couple days ago. Perfect weather and timing since Marz Jr. was on spring break. We took our bikes. Best way to get around downtown DC. Especially since there is free parking in East Potomac park. A long walk from Haines Point to the Tidal Basin, but an easy bike ride.

Marz Jr. said the trees looked like they had snow on them. :smile:

Late afternoon March 31, peak bloom
DCcherrytrees2010-1.jpg

DCcherrytrees2010-2.jpg

Plenty of parking in East Potomac park at 10am April 1, close to ranger office
DCcherrytrees2010-3.jpg

Views around Tidal Basin from a paddle boat
DCcherrytrees2010-4.jpg

DCcherrytrees2010-5.jpg

DCcherrytrees2010-6.jpg

DCcherrytrees2010-7.jpg

DCcherrytrees2010-8.jpg

DCcherrytrees2010-9.jpg

Done

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Gorgeous! I was there last year, but just after peak, and there had been rain that washed a lot of the blossoms off. They were still beautiful, though. Some day, I'll be there for peak!

abc

Banned
Marz Jr. said the trees looked like they had snow on them.
Fnny that's what abc senior (my Dad) said, the same!

I guess we all expect them to be pink so was a bit surprised it's so light in color. Not sure if that's normal. It's my first time despite living only 250 miles away for the past 10 years...

I didn't have the luxury of using bikes as transports since my Dad's health doesn't allow it any more. But being a New Yorker, I'm pretty used to bumper to bumper traffic and have long honed my parking hunting skill...:wink: But the signage of DC highway, on the other hand, could use some improvement. :(

marzNC

Angel Diva
Fnny that's what abc senior (my Dad) said, the same!

I guess we all expect them to be pink so was a bit surprised it's so light in color. Not sure if that's normal. It's my first time despite living only 250 miles away for the past 10 years...

I didn't have the luxury of using bikes as transports since my Dad's health doesn't allow it any more. But being a New Yorker, I'm pretty used to bumper to bumper traffic and have long honed my parking hunting skill...:wink: But the signage of DC highway, on the other hand, could use some improvement. :(

As I remember, the cherry blossoms in Brooklyn are pink. My father was a professor at Brooklyn College. I remember going with my family to see those cherry trees several times growing up. The trees around the Tidal Basin in DC are a different variety.

I've seen the trees in bloom before, but usually only for a quick walk with my parents. My brother has lived in DC for quite a while. He would drop us off and go hunting for a parking space.

The paddle boat was a great way to enjoy the views without being part of the crowd.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As I remember, the cherry blossoms in Brooklyn are pink. My father was a professor at Brooklyn College. I remember going with my family to see those cherry trees several times growing up. The trees around the Tidal Basin in DC are a different variety.

I'm not sure what variety they are, but every now and then, there are a few that are more pink than white. The crowds are getting crazy here. I went out to the tidal basin during lunch on Thursday, and it was nuts. Yesterday, too.

Great pics, marzNC!

Marigee

Angel Diva
Loved the pics! Using a paddleboat to view the cherry blossoms was a smart idea! It is impossible to drive into the District this time of year from VA b/c of all the traffic - and the crowds around the tidal basin (as Pequenita says) can be really heavy.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I'm not sure what variety they are, but every now and then, there are a few that are more pink than white. The crowds are getting crazy here. I went out to the tidal basin during lunch on Thursday, and it was nuts. Yesterday, too.

Great pics, marzNC!

Thanks! We were over by the Festival tents eating lunch on Thu. The Japanese-inspired fast food was pretty good.

We had a free Marriott hotel night to use up so got to stay in a downtown hotel. Otherwise, probably would've stayed outside the beltline and taken the metro in. We rented bikes at the Old Post Office when we were there a few weekends ago meeting up with friends. That option makes visiting the Mall area a lot nicer.

abc

Banned
I'm not sure what variety they are, but every now and then, there are a few that are more pink than white. The crowds are getting crazy here.
The ones around Tidal Basin are Japanese cherry.

It's the first time I've seen this variety. So I can't say what color they should be. All I can say is it's quite beautiful and I enjoy the short visit.

I saw a small group of kayakers. I think that's how I'll do it the next time around. :smile:

kanajb

Certified Ski Diva
I was there for a conference the same week. The trees were beautiful and the weather was very warm. It was a nice break from the 40 degree weather in Germany!! :smile:

Beli_Grrl

Certified Ski Diva
I missed the blossoms!

Thanks for sharing these gorgeous photos.

Alas, I missed the blossoms. By the time I got there last week they were already gone and it was so rainy, too. :mad2:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly