• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Checking in...

Powgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hello Divas! I haven't been on the forums much. I've been diagnosed with spinal stenosis and have not been able to ski...or do much of anything. Awaiting treatment, which I'm hoping will get me back on the hill at some point...I sure do miss it...I only skied 4x last year, thankfully all in nice powder, and a couple of times the year before due to my fall which I sustained back fractures, concussion...sigh.

I do check in every once in awhile...I miss the connection here. I feel so out of touch with new equipment, etc. I think I've forgotten how to ski.

Hope you are all well and enjoying the season.

Powgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I sure hope so! The doc is going to try some injections first (March 2)...my back is a bit junked up with arthritis and an old fracture on L4 as well...I am supposed to start back with my gardening season soon, too...I feel so up in the air right now. Its challenging for me to go from being extremely active to struggling to walk.

newboots

Angel Diva
Skiing and gardening - the two things I want from this time in my life! So very sorry to hear this! I hope you can get some help that really makes a difference.

(You haven't forgotten how to ski, I'm sure of it!)

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Hello Divas! I haven't been on the forums much. I've been diagnosed with spinal stenosis and have not been able to ski...or do much of anything
So sorry you are in so much discomfort - it is awful.

My husband has stenosis in the facet joints along with a blown disc, 3 bulging discs and an calcified cyst that is pressing on his spinal cord. He tried the facet block shots and is now moving onto an ablation before he considers surgery. The surgery would require fusing of several vertebrae, so of course it is a last resort, but not being ruled out.

He skis, but carefully and very short days. He skied 10 days last year and is just about there so far this year. Diva West should be interesting! I am just as concerned about making it through the airport experience as I am about the skiing, lol.

Hope the treatment brings you relief.

Powgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you all so much for the good thoughts...

Yes, @newboots , I, too, live for gardening and skiing at this stage of my life. I have my own gardening business and of course wondering how that will go this year. I have my doubts that I can put in 6 hour days, 6 days a week. I do have a crew...and I may have to look at shaving down my client list.

I did try a green run at Copper early December...I barely made it down a run I usually fly down. My guy tried to talk me into a sled ride and 2 ski patrollers stopped to ask if I was ok...highly painful and embarrassing.

@lisamamot , I have similar issues as your husband...and, my treatment plan is the same as well. I am hopeful the shots will allow me at least a couple of runs at a time.

Thanks again for all the well wishes!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
@Powgirl - so sorry to read this, sending healing vibes, from someone who has, more or less, been there/done that.

After 2 years of mysterious, referred pain, I was finally diagnosed in November, 2021, had the medial branch block shortly thereafter, followed by the radio frequency ablation (@ L4, L5, S1) in December.

It has taken some time to settle in - and I *think* I tried to ski a *bit* too soon (ax 5 weeks), so I had a bit of a setback. Things are better now. Don't hesitate to consider the RFA. It is not a difficult procedure, takes about an hour to 90 minutes.

I was fortunate not to have had any fractures, but I do have osteopenia.

The thing about RFA is that it's more or less a "band-aid." The nerves can grow back, and the procedure will, in most likelihood, need to be repeated. And that's okay. It's largely non-invasive. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again when/if it becomes necessary.

Here is a good video that describes and illustrates the procedure:
https://www.spine-health.com/video/lumbar-radiofrequency-neurotomy-video

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly