• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Checking boot bag on direct flight?

Michelle55

Certified Ski Diva
That’s interesting about American Airlines. I guess now I will ask if anyone has ever gotten pushback from Southwest for not having boots in the “boot“ bag? Before the pandemic, my boots and skis went together, Boot bag and ski tube. I did have one trip where my Sunday flight was canceled so I went out first thing Monday morning. The flight got changed at the airport or actually in the air. As it turned out I could have made the flight they said I wouldn’t make as it was leaving or close to leaving as I was in the airport. I rescheduled and had to take a two stop flight to get there. My skis and boots had arrived from the first flight and gone through as should have been scheduled! They had been sitting in the Southwest unclaimed baggage area for about three hours!

now I’m a little more concerned since I can’t imagine skiing in boots outside of the ones custom fitted for my crappy feet! On the other hand, I’m also a little concerned with a mostly rehabbed, torn rotator cuff about getting boots in the roll-on up over my head!

If you're nervous about the dimensions of boot bags not meeting airline requirements for a carry-on, I highly recommend the Kulkea Kayda bag for travel. It's an amazing bag, rugged and very well thought out...it is made for airline travel, so meets all requirements.

Any boot bag that has boots sitting on their soles will not technically meet the requirements (even my 22.5 boots are longer than the 9" allowable dimension). As you can see in this thread though...most airlines aren't going to stop you for having something an inch or two larger.
Thanks!

Michelle55

Certified Ski Diva
Just before Covid hit, I was supposed to be going to France for World Championship race, paddling, not skiing. I bought an Eddie Bauer roller bag to use as a take on. I got to also use for my boots. I do have an older Salomon "go to ski" boot bag that meets TSA. With the EB, I can get my tablet or laptop in too.
Thanks for the suggestion!

Bonnie2617

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have the Dakin 50l and do like it. Have brought it on as a carryon and still find it roomy enough for my needs. I often don’t use the helmet pocket and clip helmet to the bag and in that case can fit a ton into the bag. Ski pants, other layers, gloves, snacks, a couple waters.

Michelle55

Certified Ski Diva
I have the Dakin 50l and do like it. Have brought it on as a carryon and still find it roomy enough for my needs. I often don’t use the helmet pocket and clip helmet to the bag and in that case can fit a ton into the bag. Ski pants, other layers, gloves, snacks, a couple waters.
Thanks!

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
I've been using the Unigear 50L on Southwest for about 3-4 years now. It works very well for my boots, helmet, gloves, goggles, hats, and other small essentials that I don't trust to cargo. I can even fit my laptop in it. It also works well to go to and from the slopes, and I like that it has an option to be able to attach your skis onto it. I can easily slide it under the seat, even when fully packed. Highly recommend!

Michelle55

Certified Ski Diva
I've been using the Unigear 50L on Southwest for about 3-4 years now. It works very well for my boots, helmet, gloves, goggles, hats, and other small essentials that I don't trust to cargo. I can even fit my laptop in it. It also works well to go to and from the slopes, and I like that it has an option to be able to attach your skis onto it. I can easily slide it under the seat, even when fully packed. Highly recommend!
Thank you for your input!

mustski

Angel Diva
The Kayda is a good choice. My heated trans pack works. I just have to lay the bag down and it’s fine. I only put my boots in the bag. Most boot bags work on domestic airlines. European airlines are more restrictive. If they give me a hard time, I pull my boots out and carry them with a strap and pack the bag in my suitcase.

Last edited:

jthree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Michelle55

Certified Ski Diva

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna