• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: chapped skin?

LKillick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm having a problem I don't recall having skiing when younger.. perhaps because I use more things on my skin than I did as a kiddo...

I was very sore on my chin, cheeks, upper lip after skiing last weekend. I thought it was sunburn, but I wore a great sunscreen this time (La Roche) and it has recurred. I assume its more of a wind chap.

Any recommendations? Would prefer to not have to cover my whole lower face if it isn't super cold.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I'm having a problem I don't recall having skiing when younger.. perhaps because I use more things on my skin than I did as a kiddo...

I was very sore on my chin, cheeks, upper lip after skiing last weekend. I thought it was sunburn, but I wore a great sunscreen this time (La Roche) and it has recurred. I assume its more of a wind chap.

Any recommendations? Would prefer to not have to cover my whole lower face if it isn't super cold.

How often did you re-apply the sunscreen? Since you mention upper lip sounds more like sunburn than wind. On the snow, need to add sunscreen multiple times a day. That's one reason I'll sometimes use the FaceSaver for part of the day even when it's relatively warm and I don't need it to keep warm.

My face became much more sun-sensitive after age 40 or 45.

LKillick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ok, perhaps its that.. just thought with my hefty sunscreen I'd be ok. I have never burned through it before, but perhaps with the snow.... I do use retin A, which I know makes me more photosensitive. Was just still surprised. Will try frequently reapplying and see if that helps. Thanks :smile:

water.rat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ok, perhaps its that.. just thought with my hefty sunscreen I'd be ok. I have never burned through it before, but perhaps with the snow.... I do use retin A, which I know makes me more photosensitive. Was just still surprised. Will try frequently reapplying and see if that helps. Thanks :smile:
LKillick is probably right. Sunscreen reapplied more often, especially with the RetinA! Also a sunscreen lip balm. I made the mistake of neglecting my lips for years and now have the beginnings of actinic keratosis. If you do get another burn, a drop of a high quality lavender essential oil added to your usual dose of moisturizer, or in a bit of a light oil, like sweet almond oil or something, does wonders for any kind of burn, including sunburn. But prevention is better. Don't make my mistake!

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When I was in the insanely sunny Sierras last June for some late-season skiing, I noticed that people covered their faces and necks with buffs. I started doing the same, even though I was also wearing sunscreen. The combination of sunscreen and buff worked well (they make very light half-buffs as well, which are not as bulky and hot as the regular ones in warm spring conditions). I could get the fabric off my face when it was bothering me knowing that I had sunscreen on, and yet still use the buff as an extra layer of protection on the lift when it was more tolerable.

LKillick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the tips. It feels a lot better today, so I think perhaps it was just the sun.

I was wearing good sunscreen, it was a cloudy day, and I was only out for about 4hrs, so just didn't think it could be... but guess the late season sun + snow was enough. Will probably do a combo of reapplication and buff protection. Thanks!

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
@LKillick - the air is really dry here, so I use Kiehl's Ultra Facial Deep Moisture Balm my face when I go skiing (or am outside in the winter generally). I love it. It's really moisturizing. I usually put that on my face first in the morning, then put on sunscreen after my skin has soaked it all in. I'm also pretty generous with the thickness of both the cream and sunscreen layers.

DvR

Certified Ski Diva
I always discontinue retin A at least a week before I go skiing and carry sunscreen with me on the slopes and reapply every couple of hours. Even if the sun isn't out the UV rays are and you'll get sun burned.

LKillick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks! Just bought some Dermatone as well. I get to ski 3 days in a row next week, so I certainly don't want cumulative damage.

Grizzla

Certified Ski Diva
Hi. I get a fair bit of dry upper lip and around lower nose and now general lower face. Maturing age in my case. Get it when out vwalking/hiking, not just on the snow. Strong sun can just make it worse over the winter & spring months.
Wearing a buff against the cold or wind is very common and fashinable in the UK (and Europe?).
I don't put any creams on during bring outside but use good moisturising creams once in. A bit of Bio Oil is good, as is plain 'emulsifying ointment': a bit greasy but worth it just for overnight or a day or so. I also use a lip cream called Blistex Intensive Moisturiser, which is really great before and after getting sore lips and around. Lives in my purse all year round.

LKillick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for all the ideas. I did end up layering my dermatone and la roche, and ensured I had a good lip balm on. I was still dry/chapped a bit, but it was much improved. :smile:

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Blotchy Irish Person here to help!

If you want to bring in the big guns, the ballistic missile of facial moistening, the Howitzer aimed at dry skin, I can say that I sometimes use creamy baby oil on my face.

That's right, I said it.

Is it greasy? You bet. Messy? Heck, yes. But used at night I find that my Sahara-like skin transforms into a tropical rainforest of healthy moisture balance in the morning.

https://www.ebay.com/i/222607623884?chn=ps&dispItem=1

Last edited:

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have very light and sensitive skin. If I ski for 2+ days without wearing a full face mask my face will get dry and peel on day 3 or so. I always wear sunscreen, use a good face moisturizer after washing my face and have a neck gaiter to pull up in the wind. I have dermatone but don't like slathering it all over my face. I'll use it in really rough conditions but can't stand it for regular days. I'm not sure what else I can do. The worst is once I'm home and back to regular life,the peeling takes a day or two to stop and I'm sure people wonder why my skin is so dry.

Cascadia

Certified Ski Diva
Oh fellow Retin-A user here! Hi! I use both a thick mineral sunscreen (don’t recall if Laroche is mineral based) so that means it’s a physical barrier to the UV and less prone to degrading as fast. I also smear on a thick layer of CeraVe cream from the tub. Spot check with that stuff as some folks do breakout from it. I keep a mineral sunscreen stick in my pocket for really sunny days or if I’m not wearing my balaclava. Dark stormy days in the PNW I don’t really reapply as often as I should. I think because the Retin-A thins the skin by sloughing away the dead cells we have less protection to the wind as well and that seems to be the worst culprit for me. Excessively windy days. Make sure to have a balaclava to pull up and don’t be afraid to smear the chapstick up higher around your lips/nose.

I’m fighting the flakies/peeling from a few laps Saturday afternoon too. I have oily skin to boot so it’s such an attractive professional look when I’m presenting to managers 3 levels above me today :rolleyes:

Blondeinabmw

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I always stop exfoliating and using my retinoid product a few days before skiing. I love Belif's Moisture Bomb, but I also stockpile all of the super hydrating samples I receive throughout the year and stash them in my backpack and pockets, and in my travel bag for ski trips. Sephora, Ulta and Birchbox are my sources for samples. This stuff was a favorite this year: Embryolisse Lait-Crème Concentré (24-Hour Miracle Cream) - 30 ml. It is super silky and soothing. I also love Fresh's rose mask, as well as good old Clinique moisture surge.
Oh, and the Dermatone stick is my favorite sunscreen for my face when skiing, and I love it at the beach!

VTsnowflower

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And when it's REALLY cold out there, you need a serious barrier between the weather and your skin. As a ski instructor, I carry a small tube of plain old Vaseline in my pocket and apply it liberally to nose, cheeks, and lips. There are times when greasiness is best!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I use Dermatone, too. They say it's good protection against windburn, sunburn, and frostbite. I'm pretty careful now. I had some frostbite on my cheek a few years ago, and it left a nasty mark. I don't want to repeat that.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly