• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Challenges to getting ready for skiing

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ongoing knee issues mean that dealing with my knees pre-season is my "normal", unfortunately. Hopefully one day this won't be the case. So for me, the past two seasons, my problems and difficulties lie around getting my leg muscles strong and balanced to take the pressure off my knees. My knee issue is bilateral chronic patellar tendinosis (worse on one side - now that I think about it, worse on the side that my ski turns are also worse on....).

Absolutely fitness and endurance as well. This really ties into the above for me. I've made big improvements with my knees this season and it's really showed as my average # of runs per day has increased a lot since the start of the season, as my fitness and leg strength increases and the burning in my knees decreases.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ongoing knee issues mean that dealing with my knees pre-season is my "normal", unfortunately. Hopefully one day this won't be the case. So for me, the past two seasons, my problems and difficulties lie around getting my leg muscles strong and balanced to take the pressure off my knees. My knee issue is bilateral chronic patellar tendinosis (worse on one side - now that I think about it, worse on the side that my ski turns are also worse on....).
....as my fitness and leg strength increases and the burning in my knees decreases.
Another way to take pressure off the knees instead of building massive quad strenth, is to stand up taller. You, @fgor, unlike so many newish skiers, keep your ankles flexed forward to maintain tongue-shin contact. Good for you! This is a remarkable thing; most skiers open their ankles and lose that contact. You keep it. Big advantage to saving your knees.

Accompanying that strong continuous dorsiflexion (I do this, but not everyone does), is your race stance. Your knees are bent and you are bent forward at the hips, so that your thighs and torso are very tilted. At the speeds you are traveling, such a dramatic low stance is not that needed. You could open up your knees a bit and open up your hips to get your thighs andtorso more upright.

You'll get two benefits. First, your knees won't have so much pressure on them and your thighs won't have to exert so much effort so building high quad strength won't be so essential. Second, your balance will be fine because of the closed ankles. You won't be pushed aft by standing up at the knees and hips, because you are simply raising your CoM, not moving it fore or aft. You'll have more up-down range of motion to use for suspension when encountering lumpy snow.

Since you are good at keeping those ankles closed, you could give this a try and see how your quads feel at the end of the day. The burning may disappear. I used to have that quad burn and hot knees, and the endorphin rush after skiing that dealt with the quad pain. I thought it was a sign of skiing hard and skiing well. Now I ski with much better balance, with ankles closed, and the burn never ever happens. I wish I had gotten rid of the strain I put on my knees earlier. They don't heal up in the summer now like they did years ago.

There are people who will insist that their balance is better if they open and close their ankles. I think this is true for them. The difference between people who do and don't open/close ankles must be in anatomy and gear. So know this: I am not saying this suggestion will work for everyone. But it may for you.

Last edited:

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@liquidfeet Since you are not teaching this year have you thought about doing the sort of evaluations online that you have done here for a number of ski divas? Obviously I haven’t put any real time or thought into how you would do it but having someone film an interested student, or a client, if you will, and then send it to you for review might let you stay more connected to skiing and could really be valuable to those who would like an eye on what they are doing. And you could email back thoughts, or you could do it live on some platform such as Zoom. You have a good eye and obviously love teaching and have a lot to share. Maybe there’s some way to keep it going despite COVID-19.

These thoughts popped into my head since I am teaching Pilates on Zoom now. If you had told me in 2019 I would be teaching online I would have laughed. But when the studio where I teach (not in past winters since I was in Vermont) had to shut down during March the owner scrambled to come up with a way to stay in business. We actually really expanded our client base since we are no longer restricted to the number of people we could teach in the physical spaces we had. Online we can be teaching dozens of people in any given hour. In the past we might have been restricted to 10 or less depending on what sort of work we were teaching. And I am teaching people in multiple states now. I would not have been able to do that before. My studio owner is working with a teacher in another continent! So we have created a whole lot of lemonade out of what had been a large pile of lemons.

I hope you will forgive me my foray into your life! I just like to see the work that you do continue in some way!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna