• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Chairlift Etiquette

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
It's vacation week for a lot of schools here in New England, and we've been getting a lot of people on the hill who seem not to have a clue on how to behave on the chairlift. So I was wondering: what is it you wish people would NOT do on the lift? What's a real breach of lift etiquette, in your opinion?

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We have some visitors at Royal this week In particular are 2 Teen Boys skiing WITH their Juke boxes in their back packs- On the lifts the bad rap music is SOOOOO LOUD!! First time ever we've had this.

They also don't understand take turns in the lift line.
They don't want to put the safety bar down

If they bounce we'll all throw them off the MT. (we have old doubles- no bouncing allowed)

lisamamot

Angel Diva
  • You need to zipper merge in line
  • Don’t put the bar down until you’ve confirmed everyone is ready. Nothing like the bar coming down just as you sit down and lean forward to make sure you are sitting on your poles properly.

Jilly

Staff member
I don't think I can add to anything that's here.
The jukebox drove me nuts on the chair a couple of weeks ago.

I was waiting to be the next group to load and someone was on my skis. Since they were my older pair, I lifted my tail to move forward. Boarder fell over...tough s*&t buddy. Get off my skis.

Just because I have the fast pass, doesn't mean I can be a jerk about it either. Some don't get that. Be polite and wait a bit. You're still way ahead of the others. Or fill chair if you're a single in that line.

Yeah, fill all chairs.

HikenSki

Angel Diva
Don’t put the bar down until you’ve confirmed everyone is ready. Nothing like the bar coming down just as you sit down and lean forward to make sure you are sitting on your poles properly.
Oh my gosh yes! Someone a few weeks back pulled the bar down when I wasn't quite ready and smashed my elbow/forearm between the chair and bar. My arm was bruised and sore for a week.

mountainwest

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Also, re lift line etiquette: on the most crowded powder day of the year here, a dude in the middle of the packed line decided to do some bizarre leg stretching WITH HIS SKIS ON. He was directly in front of me and lifted a leg behind him until his ski was perpendicular to the ground and was resting only on the top of the ski. Then he started swinging that leg around, and the ski began banging into me. People were gasping in horror. I started whacking him with my pole with increasing intensity, yelling “hey dude!!” until I finally got his attention. He acted ~totally surprised~ that wasn’t appropriate behavior for someone in the middle of a huge line.

Predictably, he then had difficulty getting that leg back in the standing position again, and whacked me a few more times while trying to right himself. I whacked him with my pole again several more times while yelling, “Still getting me! Still getting me!” as more people continued to gasp in horror at him. He did at least seem to be embarrassed by the time it was over.

But seriously, what is WRONG with some people?

kiki

Angel Diva
I noticed at a smaller local hill I was at recently that there were middle sized children without adults monitoring them. Not optimal in a line up.

As others have noted
- zipper system, figure it out!
- stay the h#%* off my skis!
- fill the chair!
- the bar is going down.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Also, re lift line etiquette: on the most crowded powder day of the year here, a dude in the middle of the packed line decided to do some bizarre leg stretching WITH HIS SKIS ON. He was directly in front of me and lifted a leg behind him until his ski was perpendicular to the ground and was resting only on the top of the ski. Then he started swinging that leg around, and the ski began banging into me. People were gasping in horror. I started whacking him with my pole with increasing intensity, yelling “hey dude!!” until I finally got his attention. He acted ~totally surprised~ that wasn’t appropriate behavior for someone in the middle of a huge line.

Predictably, he then had difficulty getting that leg back in the standing position again, and whacked me a few more times while trying to right himself. I whacked him with my pole again several more times while yelling, “Still getting me! Still getting me!” as more people continued to gasp in horror at him. He did at least seem to be embarrassed by the time it was over.

But seriously, what is WRONG with some people?

:eek: Just wow! Glad you hit him with your pole, some people are so clueless to the fact that the world doesn’t revolve around them!

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh the worst is when people (snowboarders!) grab on to you when offloading to regain their balance and sometimes take you down with them. Or crossing into you rather than offloading straight forward till everyone has enough space to turn. Also not getting out of the way when getting off the lift...

Christy

Angel Diva
Hearing amplified music while skiing is annoying, although I've only seen it from teenager boys (and luckily not that many, really) and I give kids a bit of a break for being young and stupid and having brains that are only 80% formed. Where this really makes me crazy is on the hiking trail where I've seen adults do this and in fact the worst cases were from people that were 65 if they were a day. Why in the world wouldn't you use headphones? (I wonder if some people are afraid of wildlife, in which case they should just stay home). Similarly we went out on a paved multi use trail near my in-laws house in Iowa and every third family that went by was blaring country music from their bike. ??

Like2Ski

Angel Diva
Having business calls on the cell phone!

And ditto on riding with the bar up. One person airlifted off this year is one too many IMHO and we are at or beyond that.

I’ve seen this on the gondola at Killington. Really annoying. I don’t care about your business meeting next Tuesday! I’m on vacation...

teppaz

Angel Diva
Don't smoke, especially weed, in a gondola. That seems obvious but apparently it's not. The smell lingers for hours. I had to bail out of 3 cabins on my January trip to Killington because they reeked so much. (They actually have a sign at the bottom of the K-1 Express warning of spot smell checks at the top — I'd never seen anything like that anywhere else.)

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh the worst is when people (snowboarders!) grab on to you when offloading to regain their balance and sometimes take you down with them. Or crossing into you rather than offloading straight forward till everyone has enough space to turn. Also not getting out of the way when getting off the lift...

Even mid week, if I'm riding with people I don't know, I announce where I am going. Seems to help get others to announce their intentions, too.

Littlesonique

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have never had issues on the chairlifts. (probably jinxing myself)

However, if you want to talk mountain etiquette....
1. How about not dropping at the tree line to smoke weed. My kid is on the mountain too and I would prefer to not have them run over because you are high.

2. You don't need the whole mountain to hear your tunes. That is what earbuds are for.

3. Please keep your undergarments on your body and not throw them in the trees.

4. Please don't bury bottles and cans in the snow. It's dangerous and my kids are on the mountain and I have to drive them down. I would prefer not to break a leg.

5. If you fall and your snowboard is laying in the middle of the run, don't be a baby and ignore it because you are mad and embarrassed. Pick it up!

6. Also, I would prefer not to see your hard nipples and pot belly, so keep your shirt on.

I'm sure there is more... gotta love SoCal :frusty:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly