• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Catskills in NY 2017-18

marzNC

Angel Diva
There was a lull in the snow from about 11:00-1:30. Got 2-3 inches in the first wave. Not exactly fluffy powder but a snowball wouldn't hold together. On the steeper slopes the snow wasn't sticking and hitting bottom would happen in spots.

The heavy snow has arrived as of 2pm. Noticed that the Winter Weather Advisory for Boston lasts until 1pm on Thursday, 3/8. My daughter's school in Weston sent the day students and staff home at 2:00pm.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Plattekill will be open for a Powder Daize on Thursday, 3/8/2018. Usually only open Fri-Sun unless there is a big storm. So far 10-12 inches today and it's still snowing.

Tvan

Angel Diva
As for Jiminy Peak, there is at least 8 inches on the ground from today. Qualifies as powder for sure.

Jealous! We easily have 10" on the ground at home, and it's continuing to snow through until 3 am. Wish we were at Jiminy...or Stratton, or Okemo, or really ANYWHERE. :smile:

echo_VT

Angel Diva
hunter report:
the weekend was a good one. it was crowded for sure...! it looks like everyone got the memo that winter is still on. so many people showed up.
the conditions were excellent. there were quite a few moguls still around. i got to practice some mogul skiing.

i went to take some demos for a test ride on Saturday! they rescheduled demo day for 3/10 Saturday so i got on it early in the AM. i tried 8 different skis. i wrote it up in the thread: https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/help-me-figure-out-which-skis-to-demo.22379

on Saturday the conditions stayed good all day as it was cold blustery and snowing. what a day.

on Sunday it started out super cold, but by mid morning we were hot on the front side (east facing slopes). the sun was blaring. it was still below freezing. but it slowly crept to above freezing and things started to melt. the sun was super strong. i stopped for the afternoon and instead went for a run.

i won't be there next weekend! there's a storm (nor'easter) expected Mon/Tue but it may also miss us. we'll see. we will go back Mar 24/25 and Mar 30-Apr 1.

sevensaes

Certified Ski Diva
I was at Belleayre yesterday and it was even nicer than the weekend before. Got there by 8:30 and had 2 hours of peaceful skiing in perfect conditions before the crowds descended. Maybe a bit less crazy then last Sunday but cars still parked down to the main road when I left. So many people with whom I chatted on the lifts said that this was their first day on the slopes in a year or more, i.e. the snow did bring out EVERYONE. It was great to see all the cars parked at Potter Bros in Kingston and Jimmy's Ski Shop as I feel for the local businesses during times of bad snow. I also can't really get too annoyed at longer lift lines when everyone is out there on a sunny blue sky day with huge smiles on their faces (though I did hear some of the locals complaining about it at lunch, lol.) :smile:

Lmk92

Angel Diva
Coming in late, but we were also there March 10-11th. Crowds were crazy, but we had the best weekend we've had there in years. We got there early-ish Saturday, got two day lift passes, and parked at Tomahawk Sunday, so the crowds were never really an issue for us.

We were able to ski the Goat Path! That thing is never open. Also Cathedral Brook! The kids loved the glades, and I loved the fact that I wasn't scared all weekend (but, I didn't go into the glades...). What a great March for them. I wish I could go back!

echo_VT

Angel Diva
so there was still so much snow this past weekend 3/23-3/24 - we skipped 3/18-3/19.

it has stayed cold and only started to go above freezing last Fri and Sat. on Sun it was cloudy and windy with snowfall. not a lot, but it still felt like winter. the snow is no longer packed powder, but hardpack now. it's supposed to rain this week so perhaps we'll count this as the beginning of the melt? we'll see what happens. we'll be back at Hunter from 3/30 to 4/1.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
we went this past weekend and there were bare patches everywhere. in the shadows of belt pkwy and jimmy, it was icy. the conditions in part were good, but we had to get thru a tricky bare patch to be able to ski (minya and midstation come to mind). the snow on gun hill was very good. it's well shaded/protected. but near everything else was not in good condition. we did hellgate, cliff, minya, eastside to milky way, jimmy, belt, and gun hill. we called it a day at that point. i'm not sure why, she wasn't feeling up to it and i was a little preoccupied with moving. we've been moving out of our winter rental home 3/25, this past weekend, and we'll be doing the final parts this coming weekend 4/7-4/8.

altho on sunday morning it was snowing when we left! it was almost storming i want to say. and in NYC we just got about 4 inches. it's unreal. it was 60F in NYC yesterday.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The 2017-18 season may be over but sounds like next season could be pretty exciting with a new lift and five new trails going in on the north side. The ride on the new 6-pack will take about 4 minutes. New parking will be available at the base of the new chair. The expansion price tag is around $9 million.

https://liftblog.com/2018/04/05/hinter-mountain-to-expand-northward-with-a-six-pack/

With the new gondola at Belleayre, a new lift at Windham, and a new lift at Hunter for new terrain, the options for skiing in the Catskills are growing quite a bit for the 2018-19 season.

SuperSkiMom

Certified Ski Diva
Conditions have been changing rapidly in the east, but the snow was pretty nice over Pres. Day weekend at Belleayre. The Alba family has a house near Pico. But as their kids grow up, they have also explored other mountains within reach driving from NYC.

Thank you marzNC . I am still getting the hang of theskidive forum.

This was all filmed in one day, Feb 10th, 2018. It was one of the only weekends this season we had to be in the city, because our daughter had a dance performance on Sunday. With Saturday free, we decided to take a day trip up to Belleayre. If you live in NYC like us, it is great to have a close mountain like Belleayre to go to.

SuperSkiMom

Certified Ski Diva
That's great. I wish I had done more filming when my kids were younger. They would have really loved to see themselves skiing, set to music, like that.
Thank you! That is exactly how we started. At first it was just to have something for us to remember the days by, and then it sort of took off.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Thank you marzNC . I am still getting the hang of theskidive forum.

This was all filmed in one day, Feb 10th, 2018. It was one of the only weekends this season we had to be in the city, because our daughter had a dance performance on Sunday. With Saturday free, we decided to take a day trip up to Belleayre. If you live in NYC like us, it is great to have a close mountain like Belleayre to go to.
Thanks for popping in. Your family is amazing at fitting in skiing in the midst of very busy lives in the city. :becky:

SuperSkiMom

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks for popping in. Your family is amazing at fitting in skiing in the midst of very busy lives in the city. :becky:
Thank you! It feels we did not ski enough this year, even though we have over 55 days each, this season. Only a couple more weekends for us this season.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
nice! i managed 48 days on snow this season.

Apr 7-8 was decent at Hunter! yes things were melting. but it was cold enough! the snow was hard due to the melt freeze cycles. we ended up having the LO learn to snowboard that weekend. we enjoyed our time, and we cleaned out what we had in the winter rental home we had.

we didn't go back for Apr 14-15 but i believe that was closing wknd! we will be back at Hunter in the spring/summer/fall for some hiking which is our go-to activity for warmer temps.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly