• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Catskills in NY 2017-18

marzNC

Angel Diva
That's great. I wish I had done more filming when my kids were younger. They would have really loved to see themselves skiing, set to music, like that.
The Alba family have been refining their video edit skills for a few years. The poems that the the mother has written are quite fun as narrative for the video story. They document summer trips too.

https://www.albaadventures.com

marzNC

Angel Diva
Looks like the Catskills could be the big winner for the next snowstorm. All depends on when the temps cool and the precipitation changes from rain to snow. Plattekill isn't tracked by OpenSnow but I'm sure the folks who ski Plattekill after storms are watching closely. The predictions are for Belleayre, Hunter, and Windham. I think all three will continue with snowmaking for at least another week or two when it's cold enough. At least to keep the base areas functional.

Screen Shot 2018-03-01 at 8.07.13 AM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Snowing like crazy in the Catskills. Here's a forecast from some local TV weather. The snow conditions reports for early this morning are from Windham, Hunter, Belleayre, and Plattekill. They are all talking about 1.5-2.0 FEET of snow from this storm, dubbed Riley.

I didn't realize that today is Telefest at Plattekill. Their Winterfest is on Saturday. Turns out that Plattekill has the best webcams. Still shots but they update regularly.

Screen Shot 2018-03-02 at 8.03.17 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-03-02 at 7.50.23 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-03-02 at 7.59.39 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-03-02 at 8.08.49 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-03-02 at 8.13.02 AM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Well, too much wind to go with the snowstorm. Hunter and Belleayre are closed due to power outages. Windham lost power in the morning but managed to get open for the afternoon. People who have full day tickets for today at Windham will be able to use them any day during the rest of the season.

Given that it's Friday, probably weren't too many people trying to drive during a blizzard.

Screen Shot 2018-03-02 at 3.10.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-02 at 3.09.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-02 at 3.14.36 PM.png

Tvan

Angel Diva
I hope they are prepared to sleep in the lodge tonight...conditions are very, very dangerous.

Randi M.

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So glad to hear it was all snow in the mountains, despite the wind. Here in NYC it was a wretched mix of rain, snow and sleet. I am holding out hope that we will be able to get one more ski weekend in, and maybe a couple of days during spring break in early April. But it sure has been warm lately...

gr8outdoors

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hunter remains without power today. Belleayre is also still out. Windham now has all of their trails open.

marzNC

Angel Diva
People who are at Plattekill today are undoubtedly having a great time. Happens to be the day pre-scheduled for Winterfest with "Torchlight Parade, Chicken BBQ, Live Music & HUGE RAFFLE - all proceeds to benefit the Plattekill Volunteer Ski Patrol (5pm)" so the timing for the storm is perfect.

Melody

Diva in Training
Where to go tomorrow (Sunday)?? I have reservations in Kingston tonight (Sat., March 3rd).
I was planning on Belleayre, but so far, Hunter and Belleayre remain closed today (Saturday).

If Belleayre re-opens, should I still go there, or will it be really crowded with everyone trying to get fresh powder?
They are not reporting if trails are groomed and ready to go, and they still do not say 100% open, like Windham does.

Do I plan on Windham, if Belleayre and Hunter reopen? Will the crowds head to those resorts for fresh powder? Everyone is at Windham today, skiing off the fresh powder and the lift lines look terribly crowded and parking lots are full and it looks like a madhouse. Do I even try to go there tomorrow, if Hunter and Belleayre do not have power restored? Do I get there 2 hours early to find a place to park?

Do I just drive to Plattekill no matter what? Will it be non-crowded even if the other resorts remain closed? I've never been there, so its my least favorite option.
It looks like they have terrible lift capacity, and we are not double expert skiers so it looks like they have limited terrain we'd enjoy, unless their double expert trails compare to Hunter's main face black trails... Plattekill is also the furthest drive from Kingston, and I'd have a longer drive home Sunday night.

I really want to ski in this powder but am frustrated with conditions, as I am sure lots of other people are!

Thanks for any insight.

marzNC

Angel Diva
If Belleayre re-opens, should I still go there, or will it be really crowded with everyone trying to get fresh powder?
They are not reporting if trails are groomed and ready to go, and they still do not say 100% open, like Windham does.

Do I plan on Windham, if Belleayre and Hunter reopen? Will the crowds head to those resorts for fresh powder? Everyone is at Windham today, skiing off the fresh powder and the lift lines look terribly crowded and parking lots are full and it looks like a madhouse. Do I even try to go there tomorrow, if Hunter and Belleayre do not have power restored? Do I get there 2 hours early to find a place to park?

Do I just drive to Plattekill no matter what? Will it be non-crowded even if the other resorts remain closed? I've never been there, so its my least favorite option.
It looks like they have terrible lift capacity, and we are not double expert skiers so it looks like they have limited terrain we'd enjoy, unless their double expert trails compare to Hunter's main face black trails... Plattekill is also the furthest drive from Kingston, and I'd have a longer drive home Sunday night.
Does your family ski Hunter West at all? I don't remember the double-black on the front side that well. Plattekill is not just for advanced/experts but you are correct they don't usually get people who prefer places that groom as much as Windham or Hunter. The lifts are old and slow but for those who like skiing 1000 ft vertical without very little run out on a Catskill black trail, it's worth the ride. Classic "old school" fun. Lift capacity is a non-issue because relatively few people from NYC bother to make the drive.

I've skied at Belleayre, Plattekill, and Hunter. Have stopped by the base of Windham when the lifts weren't running. Based on what I read in the NYSkiBlog, from Kinston I would be hoping Belleayre opens on Sunday but if the roads looked decent I would be making the drive to Plattekill. Of course, I'm biased because I like to ski deep powder at Alta and like the old school vibe of smaller ski areas.

Plattekill has more than enough blue and single black terrain for a day of fun away from the masses. According to the report for today, they groomed half the blacks. There are black trails where half is groomed and half is left natural. So good for playing in a few bumps with the open to bail.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Here's what a busy powder day looks like at Plattekill around 1pm on a Saturday when people head out after lunch. Hard to imagine that just a few days ago there was grass on all the slopes. 2-3 feet in about 36 hours . . . amazing!

Screen Shot 2018-03-03 at 1.02.16 PM.png

sevensaes

Certified Ski Diva
Looks like Belleayre and Hunter both opened in the afternoon today, but I'm going to guess that crowds were light. Tomorrow is gonna be crazy at both places! My advice would be to try to arrive before the lifts start running. Normally it doesn't start getting really bad until after 10am or so, when the people driving up from NYC get there. However, given that these are probably the best conditions of the season, plus the delayed anticipation from the closures today, all bets may be off tomorrow.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Glad the power was restored. Belleayre is doing pretty well getting updates on their website. Having the gondola definitely made a difference for this weekend.

"3/3 @ 12:00 noon - The power has back up and the mountain will be opening shortly. We plan on opening the Catskill Thunder Gondola first and then make our way across the mountain. Ski Patrol has to clear the trails and lifts first and as soon as they do we will be ready to rock and roll. Normal half day rates will be in effect. Stay tuned for the actual snow report for trail and lifts opening. At this time, only the Discovery Lodge and services will be open."

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hunter posted updates on their website at 5:08am, 6:00am, 9:00am on 3/3, and finally could say at 2:28pm that lifts would spin starting at 2:30pm. At 9am, they offered a refund for people holding a day ticket or the option to use the ticket later this season or next season. $30 lift ticket for those buying just for the rest of the afternoon until 5pm. Had opened "41 trails and 3 lifts the Flyer, B & C lifts." Hunter West stayed closed until Sunday, 3/4.

Screen Shot 2018-03-03 at 5.36.30 PM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Heard that Windham parking was crazy today. The story was that someone who took the day bus up from NYC with his daughter didn't get on the slopes until noon because of there were too many cars.

Tvan

Angel Diva
Ok, that does it. We were going to go to Belleayer tomorrow, but we’re trying Butternut instead.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna