• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Catskills in NY 2017-18

marzNC

Angel Diva
There are four medium-size ski areas in the Catskills of NY. People in NJ and the NYC area who within driving distance, it's worth checking all of them out at some point to see which one is a better fit. Plattekill and Belleayre are less crowded on weekends.

Belleayre - ORDA
Hunter - Peak
Windham - independent
Plattekill - independent, regular ski days Fri, Sat, Sun, mostly natural snow

marzNC

Angel Diva
Belleayre is blowing snow! Opening Day scheduled for Thanksgiving weekend.

Exactly when the gondola opens up isn't clear yet. On Facebook, saw mention of mid-December. But Peter of Liftblog thinks it may not happen until the end of December. Presumably they are doing everything they can to finish before the holiday week.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
Hunter opened last Tuesday. We went yesterday (Sunday).

it was rather packed. they had 4 lifts running and 10 trails available. it was decent for opening weekend. i was expecting much less.

getting our on-hill legs back. we both have new boots. LO has new skis as well b/c she's grown.

hubs works at Hunter as an instructor and LO is in the seasonal program there. we will be there all season. we might visit Windham b/c family members go to that mtn.

Hunter is going to expand by 2018-2019 season - they're adding blue square (intermediate) terrain between the main lodge and Hunter West. Peaks resorts i think announced it earlier this summer.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The only good thing about the continued warm weather is that construction at Belleayre related to the new gondola is moving ahead steadily. There are pictures and video on the Belle Facebook page. The haul rope will be spliced next week, which means the cabins can be put on soon after. The real question is when they can schedule the final safety inspection. Sounds like the gondola stands a good chance of operating during the Christmas holiday weeks.

marzNC

Angel Diva
One reason I'm watching the status of the gondola is that I'll be skiing Belleayre in mid-December. If anyone reading does not have enough posts to see Meet On The Hill threads in Divas Only, send me a PM and I can tell you the details. Always fun to meet up with Divas for a few runs.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Lots of cold weather coming in Wednesday night and staying for a good spell. I hope that means Poconos and Catskills mountains will be closer to fully open by the weekend.

newboots

Angel Diva
Lots of cold weather coming in Wednesday night and staying for a good spell. I hope that means Poconos and Catskills mountains will be closer to fully open by the weekend.

And New England! (hoping!)

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And New England! (hoping!)

I'm literally sitting at my desk working on my resume and portfolio trying to get a job in New England. The six-hour drives to see family and play outside are killing me. And my job here is becoming increasingly Orwellian.

But I am excited to visit Plattekill this year. Fyi, there are still some good Liftopia deals on one-day tickets to P-kill, especially if you can get away on a Friday.

marzNC

Angel Diva
But I am excited to visit Plattekill this year. Fyi, there are still some good Liftopia deals on one-day tickets to P-kill, especially if you can get away on a Friday.
Plattekill is a cool little mountain. Heard they enlarged a parking lot.

My daughter had a great time when North Country School had a group of telemark skiers go for the Telepalooza a few years ago. Two days with tele skiers all over Platty midweek.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Eep! Single digits predicted at night for Belleayre the middle of next week. Have to say I'm glad it's going to warm back up to the 20s-30s by the weekend when I'm going to be in the Catskills. Certainly going to be great snowmaking weather for the next few weeks.

Have heard that there is a little concern that Hunter might not have quite enough water to run the snow guns every hour that's cold enough. That's another reason that a warm spell can be a good thing when the base is being built. Then the excess snow not on the trails can melt back into the snowmaking ponds.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Anyone else interested in Belleayre this weekend? If so, either check the Meet On The Hill thread or PM me if you can find it. Will be at least me and another Diva there first thing in the morning.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
hi there! i've been skiing Hunter each weekend. Dec 2-3 weekend we hear was icy b/c there was a lot melting.

But Dec 9-10 was marvelous b/c of all the new snow we got (about 6 in or so?) and Dec 16-17 was quite good b/c it stayed cold and there was lots of runs open and coverage in lots of spots.

Dec 23 it rained, we skiied on Dec 24 and it was nice with some ice underneath. then we got a big snow dump on Dec 25, and Dec 26 and 27 were quite good. Dec 28 (yesterday) was quite cold. started out at -2F and the high was 4F. i didn't ski yesterday. today i did, and the high was 17F. it's back down to 12F now. the morning was great, and they had been making lots of new snow. we were supposed to get snow today and tomorrow. Then Sunday again will be worse than Thursday with a high of 0-2F predicted. Monday will be more of the same.

Dec skiing has been pretty good i must say it really is like it's the middle of January. we're all quite happy with the snow.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Have heard that the gondola cabins at Belleayre are hanging for final testing in the next week or so.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The Belleayre gondola opened on Dec. 30 with no fanfare. Guess those staff members who told me the goal was Jan. 1 were closer than they thought.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Apparently the quad lift that failed at Windham is not working yet. They are running the old triple that runs parallel to the Express Quad, but given the cold temps that's a long ride. Offering reduced rates for New Year's Day. The replacement part is on the way from SLC.

Screen Shot 2018-01-01 at 10.13.21 AM.png

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna