• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Catskills and ADKs

newboots

Angel Diva
I tried to start a thread about Hunter, but no takers, mostly. So I'm broadening my reach! I'm skiing Hunter, Windham, Belleayre, and Gore this year. Also little Thunder Ridge in Patterson, NY, where there is snow but only on the trails! I might get to Whiteface if things go well!

Tomorrow going to Windham for the first time. We may get a smattering of snow, but nothing substantial. Temp predicted at 25F, but with winds gusting up to 30+ mph! That means, wind chill down to -1F! Yikes! It's been a couple years since I've skied in that kind of cold. I have a super-thick waffley UnderArmor Cold Gear baselayer, that's too hot for me to wear most of the time, skiing or anywhere else. I tossed my old fleece running tights (dang!) but I can layer a few under my insulated (and roomy) ski pants. Heated boots, boot gloves, and heated gloves. But somehow I feel unprepared! I'm meeting the ski club for a clinic - first time out with them. I think it's the fact that it's a new mountain and I have to get there early to meet up with the group that has me frazzled. I do, after all, know how to dress for the cold! But if I also add a down layer, there will be no place to store it if it's too hot.

Hmmm.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I tried to start a thread about Hunter, but no takers, mostly. So I'm broadening my reach! I'm skiing Hunter, Windham, Belleayre, and Gore this year. Also little Thunder Ridge in Patterson, NY, where there is snow but only on the trails! I might get to Whiteface if things go well!

Tomorrow going to Windham for the first time. We may get a smattering of snow, but nothing substantial. Temp predicted at 25F, but with winds gusting up to 30+ mph! That means, wind chill down to -1F! Yikes! It's been a couple years since I've skied in that kind of cold. I have a super-thick waffley UnderArmor Cold Gear baselayer, that's too hot for me to wear most of the time, skiing or anywhere else. I tossed my old fleece running tights (dang!) but I can layer a few under my insulated (and roomy) ski pants. Heated boots, boot gloves, and heated gloves. But somehow I feel unprepared! I'm meeting the ski club for a clinic - first time out with them. I think it's the fact that it's a new mountain and I have to get there early to meet up with the group that has me frazzled. I do, after all, know how to dress for the cold! But if I also add a down layer, there will be no place to store it if it's too hot.

Hmmm.

And? Your report?

newboots

Angel Diva
Just got back!

Windham is a lovely mountain! There were a few inches of new, fluffy snow. I was a little overdressed since the National Weather Service warned of wind chill down to -1F. I was warm enough but not too warm, miracle of miracles! It snowed on and off (mostly on) all day, which was so pretty and kept softening up the trails. Not crowded.

The Hudson Valley Ski Club offers a free clinic once a month. The instructor is Herb Eschbach (sp?), with a PSIA jacket. I didn't ask for more detail - no grilling the instructor who volunteered his time. We worked on turns bit by bit and wow! I was able to put together upper/lower separation, getting forward, side slipping, and my skiing improved as the day went on! I didn't get tired until after lunch, when we just skied down the trails, instead of stopping 3 or 4 times for feedback. This was so valuable. I had to pay for a ticket ($62 + RFID) but apparently there is some ski club season pass that's quite inexpensive.

I had a better time here than Hunter (but so much terrain was closed when I was at Hunter) and the skiing was better than Belleayre (where it was icy and not enough terrain open). Now that the Catskills have had more snow, I'm sure more terrain is opening up elsewhere, too. The vibe was nice at Windham, too. The food was mixed: they had homemade potato chips which were big and superb. I had a "Tandoori Vegetable Wrap" that was bland and uninteresting.

Overall, great day! My hip still limits me, but if stopping frequently helps prolong my day, I'm going to start doing that.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Just got back!

Windham is a lovely mountain! There were a few inches of new, fluffy snow. I was a little overdressed since the National Weather Service warned of wind chill down to -1F. I was warm enough but not too warm, miracle of miracles! It snowed on and off (mostly on) all day, which was so pretty and kept softening up the trails. Not crowded.

The Hudson Valley Ski Club offers a free clinic once a month. The instructor is Herb Eschbach (sp?), with a PSIA jacket. I didn't ask for more detail - no grilling the instructor who volunteered his time. We worked on turns bit by bit and wow! I was able to put together upper/lower separation, getting forward, side slipping, and my skiing improved as the day went on! I didn't get tired until after lunch, when we just skied down the trails, instead of stopping 3 or 4 times for feedback. This was so valuable. I had to pay for a ticket ($62 + RFID) but apparently there is some ski club season pass that's quite inexpensive.

I had a better time here than Hunter (but so much terrain was closed when I was at Hunter) and the skiing was better than Belleayre (where it was icy and not enough terrain open). Now that the Catskills have had more snow, I'm sure more terrain is opening up elsewhere, too. The vibe was nice at Windham, too. The food was mixed: they had homemade potato chips which were big and superb. I had a "Tandoori Vegetable Wrap" that was bland and uninteresting.

Overall, great day! My hip still limits me, but if stopping frequently helps prolong my day, I'm going to start doing that.

Sounds like a great day and lesson!

newboots

Angel Diva
I enjoyed skiing with them. It was a geriatric crowd, which I suppose means they are my people. :scared:

This club operates year-round, with hikes, kayaking trips, and monthly "apres" at a restaurant/bar in Poughkeepsie, which was suspended in November (finally!). And there are two gatherings on the hill next week. Things are looking up!

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I enjoyed skiing with them. It was a geriatric crowd, which I suppose means they are my people. :scared:

This club operates year-round, with hikes, kayaking trips, and monthly "apres" at a restaurant/bar in Poughkeepsie, which was suspended in November (finally!). And there are two gatherings on the hill next week. Things are looking up!

That’s great! It’s nice to have folks around.

DeeSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sounds like a great day! Windham was always my favourite place to ski when I lived in NYC. The terrain was enough for me on a day trip, and I always found it well organised and, like you, I just enjoyed the vibe. The ski club sounds like a great find too. Good times!

teppaz

Angel Diva
Just got back!

Interesting about Windham vs Belleayre. I'm going there on Feb. 9-10 and am wondering if I should do one day at each or do both days at the same, and in that case which one. I've never been to Windham so I'm curious.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Interesting about Windham vs Belleayre. I'm going there on Feb. 9-10 and am wondering if I should do one day at each or do both days at the same, and in that case which one. I've never been to Windham so I'm curious.
Depends a bit on the weather. If it's really windy, stick with Windham. If it's decent weather in general, I would check out both for future reference. I like Belleayre and have been a couple times in early or late season. Have stopped by to look at the Windham from the base. Less variety of terrain than Belleayre I think.

teppaz

Angel Diva
I’m wondering how far ahead I need to buy my lift tickets. I’m going midweek but still. I may not be able to wait for the weather report.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I’m wondering how far ahead I need to buy my lift tickets. I’m going midweek but still. I may not be able to wait for the weather report.
Have not heard of issues getting tickets midweek in the Catskills, only on weekends.

newboots

Angel Diva
@teppaz - If you're coming on a weekend, reserve now. You can cancel. Weekdays are so much easier.

I have had mixed feelings about Belleayre. There are a bunch of parallel trails that I would find boring if I weren't dodging the ice. Now, that's unfair! It does get icy, like everywhere, but the last time I was there the steep parts were skied off and icy. Not terrible, just annoying.

In contrast, my only trip to Windham was after and during this lovely snowstorm! I was in a lesson all day, so I was concentrating on skills, rather than just cruising down. But I really liked it. Beautiful views!

newboots

Angel Diva
Hi @hollyberry - are you asking me? My answer is no, but I really want to go. A series of orthopedic issues (this hip, that hip, now this knee) keeps slowing me down! I went to PT all summer and fall so I would be in shape for skiing, but it was not to be. Maybe I’m living under some curse of Ullr (Norse, I think, god of snow).

And welcome to the clan here! Happy to have you!

hollyberry

Certified Ski Diva
Hi newboots, sorry your skiing is slowing down with joint issues - my knees are pretty cranky these days, too, using knee sleeves on both now. I have been skiing Gore off and on for almost 40 years. It has a pretty good variety of runs, my son did an instructor recertification course there last year and he really enjoyed the glades. I am just a cruiser now, happy to ski mid-week. Hope you get a chance to try it when hips and knees cooperate. Appreciate your notes about Windham, have been meaning to ski there some day, Thanks for the warm welcome - cheers!

teppaz

Angel Diva
Hi @hollyberry - are you asking me? My answer is no, but I really want to go. A series of orthopedic issues (this hip, that hip, now this knee) keeps slowing me down! I went to PT all summer and fall so I would be in shape for skiing, but it was not to be. Maybe I’m living under some curse of Ullr (Norse, I think, god of snow).

And welcome to the clan here! Happy to have you!
Any tips on where to boot up at Windham? Is there some space where people come with their ski bags or do they tend to boot up at the car?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly