• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Categories for MTB proficiency and gender!!

heather matthews

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Today at my local club run downhill mtb skills clinic ,which of course attracts a mixture of abilities ,the guy running it announced that we would split into four groups-advanced,intermediate,beginner and yes you guessed it,women.Whilst I enjoy the different dynamic that riding with other women has,I really struggle to come to terms with femaleness as an ability category! Our happy band of five had one beginner,two intermediates and two more advanced riders so how was our coach going to keep everyone happy.It meant two of us went back to fundamentals which is maybe not such a bad thing and then ended up being the demo bitches for the morning.It was fun and great to help and see the improvement in the other riders but it did leave my friend and I thinking,what about us don't we get a bit of analysis and tips.Next time I'm going to insist on going with the guys!!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:mad2:

I would definitely file a complaint/comment. Sure, everyone can use work on fundamentals - but is that what you wanted when you signed up? No feedback?

I wonder if this was a misguided attempt to provide a "women's clinic" experience within a broader clinic, or to allocate coaches across a relatively even number of people ... if you're feeling kind and have the access, you could ask about it gently first. But regardless of intent, this was BS, especially if both you and your friend felt like you didn't get full value out of it.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
What Monique said. I would contact the clinic organizers and ask them if they think its 1950. Caveat, I run the education program for our local chapter of a statewide organization, and I have two different coaching certifications. I

Two key points: 1. Gender has zero, zip, nada to do with ability. 2. There is no way, none, to adequately clinic/coach/teach a range of students from beginner to advanced where someone isn't left out. AS OP noted, she ended up being the demo person for the clinic.

If client attendees were not notified of the format, I'd be really tempted to ask for my money back. Its a real WTF for me. IS NZ behind the curve on sexism in sports? Is this kind of thinking common culturally? If nothing else, writing in or setting up a meeting with the powers that planned this thing and making an educational moment out of it might be one way to handle it.

Gah, the more I think about this the more pissed off I get!! I've never heard of such a break out. Every clinic I've ever attended or put together is broken down by ability, and then by gender. By gender I mean the clinics are women's only, or coed.

Who put this sh*tshow of a clinic together? Lets sic Amanda Batty on them. Were they completely clueless volunteers that had no idea what they were doing? Inexcusable.

altagirl

Staff member
That's crazy. Women's clinics still break down into skill levels. And if there aren't enough for that, why on earth wouldn't you just go with coed groups of similar skill levels? I've done plenty of (advanced DH race) clinics in years past where I was the only woman. Not a big deal.

heather matthews

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Monique pretty much hit the nail on the head and I emailed the club and gave them appropriate feedback.They charge a nominal fee for the clinic so it was more my time rather than any money being underutilised.There is another mixed skills clinic in October so I hope they take it on board but f I'd have known how it would pan out,I'd have gone skiing instead.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly