• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Carving ski for me ????

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You might consider the Stockli Nela 80. Because you want a ski that carves well and one suited for groomers that become roughed up, this ski will do it all !! It's a wonderfully versatile and precise option for you. I bought mine un-demoed and have NO REGRETS. In fact, I also purchased the Stockli MX to try this year. The MX is specifically for groomed terrain as it is more like a slalom ski at 67 wide. Hope I don't fall off the things, as it has been years since I have skied anything that narrow.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You might consider the Stockli Nela 80. Because you want a ski that carves well and one suited for groomers that become roughed up, this ski will do it all !! It's a wonderfully versatile and precise option for you. I bought mine un-demoed and have NO REGRETS. In fact, I also purchased the Stockli MX to try this year. The MX is specifically for groomed terrain as it is more like a slalom ski at 67 wide. Hope I don't fall off the things, as it has been years since I have skied anything that narrow.
Sadly we dont have Stockli over here in NZ :cry: But I hear ya re falling off the things !! Even the Atomic Could 9's looked scarily skinny esp looking down on the them while riding up the chair :laughter:

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Being bluntly honest, this is the most boring type of ski. Buuuut...it's also one of the best types of skis to help progress, and a necessary ski to have in a quiver. I spent years avoiding this type of ski because whenever I demoed nothing screamed "buy me". No ski in this category wow'ed me and left me thinking about days later. Then I came across a good deal on the RTMs, so bought them undemoed...I ski them a lot. And they've helped me progress A LOT. So, overall...regardless of how boring they are, they were worth every penny.
Yes the potential purchase isn't filling me with excitement but I know its something I need to have in my quiver. I dont really want to spend a fortune on them so will probably keep an eye for deals as well.

NWSkiGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ok team, after it being recommended on my thread re body position I just might be in the market for a carving ski however I have absolutely ZERO knowledge of carving ski's and what I might be looking for.
I did demo a pair of Atomic Cloud 9's the other day and was very underwhelmed by them, the rep did say I probably wouldn't like them, he even went so far as to say they were a "Sunday Mums Ski" , his words not mine ! The L3 guy who I've been skiing with mentioned I might like a kids race ski at around 150cm. I skied today in spring conditions with another friend who busted out his old racing ski's and after a few tentative runs (lets face it they are terrifyng when your used to skiing a much wider ski) and after he got used to them again he was raving about them, he even took them down a heavily slush puppied mogul run and had a ball ( I too had a ball on my Sheevas just sayin). So here I am seeking your knowledge and advise once again :smile: Oh I'm 165cm (5'5"?) and around 56kg and an okayish skier, oh and I'm 58 so no spring chicken and have very little leg strength (I missed "leg day" :laughter: ) x
Ski Magazine just came out with their gear guide, including their top rated frontside skis: https://www.skimag.com/gear/ski-reviews/frontside-skis/best-womens-frontside-recreational-skis/

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@NWSkiGirl , Would you happen to have the reviews from Ski on the carving skis? I really hate to use the term "carving" but it seems that skis with the below 75 waist are now stuck in that category. I remember when a 75 was considered wide!

Reactions: AJM

NWSkiGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@NWSkiGirl , Would you happen to have the reviews from Ski on the carving skis? I really hate to use the term "carving" but it seems that skis with the below 75 waist are now stuck in that category. I remember when a 75 was considered wide!
They didn't do them for carving skis this year. Frontside is as skinny as they went. :-(

A lot of instructors have carving skis, as they are on the flatter slopes and have to do technical skiing in order to keep their credentials. So you may have luck trying to find out their favorites. In spring 2021 I had someone in PSIA recommend this ski for instructors: Nordica spitfire 80 flat

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ski Magazine just came out with their gear guide, including their top rated frontside skis: https://www.skimag.com/gear/ski-reviews/frontside-skis/best-womens-frontside-recreational-skis/
Interestingly enough I've literally just got back from our local ski shop having my boots tweaked and asked them what the best selling ski has been for women this year (remember we're skiing on the 2023 models already) and it was the Rossi Experience 82Ti . I might have to see if they've got a demo pair better still if they have I might get them for a good price at the end of the season !!! And look my beloved Sheeva 9's are top of their class in the All Mountain category :yahoo:

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Okaaaay Divas, I've found a pair of Stockli Cross CR in 160cm ex demos for sale over here , thoughts ??

NWSkiGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Interestingly enough I've literally just got back from our local ski shop having my boots tweaked and asked them what the best selling ski has been for women this year (remember we're skiing on the 2023 models already) and it was the Rossi Experience 82Ti . I might have to see if they've got a demo pair better still if they have I might get them for a good price at the end of the season !!! And look my beloved Sheeva 9's are top of their class in the All Mountain category :yahoo:
Yes, the Sheevas are crushing it now! I have the Sheeva 10s and love them.

• Love

Skidreamer

Certified Ski Diva
I have the Dynastar Intense 10's, they are perfect for me, but surprisingly soft for a ski supposedly for an advanced skiier (which I'm not) - presumably the 12 is a bit more stiff. Interesting what they say about the Atomic Clouds being a "Sunday mum's ski" because that's what I feel I need, and have. All I aspire to do is turns on safe groomers and they feel great for this, but then, I feel the Dynastars would also step it up with and for a more capable skiier. This review exactly mimics my opinion, so definitely give some type of Dynastar a go if you can!

elemmac

Angel Diva
Okaaaay Divas, I've found a pair of Stockli Cross CR in 160cm ex demos for sale over here , thoughts ??
Without knowing the exact year....those have to be 10+ years old. If my assumption is correct, unless they're free, you can do much better. A frontside ski from the early 2000s is going to be beastly compared to a newer ski (i.e. heavy and cumbersome). Then there's the question of if the bindings are still serviceable and on manufactures indemnified list.

Jilly

Staff member

Without knowing the exact year....those have to be 10+ years old. If my assumption is correct, unless they're free, you can do much better. A frontside ski from the early 2000s is going to be beastly compared to a newer ski (i.e. heavy and cumbersome). Then there's the question of if the bindings are still serviceable and on manufactures indemnified list.

RUN AWAY, FAR AWAY!!

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How old are those Stockli's?
I have no idea, an outdoor company in Christchurch (our nearest city) has brought them in as ex demo's from Europe and apparently they are in pretty good condition $399 NZD with bindings.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Actually, I think a jr SL ski is not a bad idea, in large part because of their price, and they will teach you to be balanced. There’s also valuable learning to be had when your ski waist is that much skinnier than your boot. I spend a not insignificant amount of time in Tahoe on my SL skis.
Only issue at her size would be the length. Just looking at Head's site (I think most jr race skis are pretty consistent across brands sizing-wise), the longest jr SL they make is 156. Maybe b/c women's FIS is 156?? Just a guess. I dunno with her weight and height if that's gonna be enough? My jr SLs are def softer than my 2018 Yumis. GS goes A LOT longer and could work, but I personally prefer SL for versatility over GS just b/c of the turn radius.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So I'm thinking of either going for the Rossi Experience if I can jump on a pair to try or the Fischer RC 1 GT that a friend who works at our local ski shop might be selling on. Although to be honest our season is now rapidly coming to an end so I might not get a chance to try them but fingers crossed

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna