• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Carvers to compare: 97-67-113 vs. 121-73-105

Lilia

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hello knowledgeable Divas,

I am considering a pair of older model Stockli Sinox Pro where I only know a few data. Unable to try them before buying!
I am interested in knowing what would be their performance versus my regular Volkl Fuego.

Here is some information about the skis:

stockli-sinox-pro.jpg

Stockli Sinox Pro 97-67-113, 156 cm, radius 12.5. Cap construction, Sintered graphite base, Stone finish. Tail Type: flat

My regulars are 121-73-105, 154 cm, radius 12.5. The tail does not look flat to me ;)
fuego.JPG

Could someone shed me some light on how differently would those Stockli perform? I have searched though all internet, but since the model is 2006, nothing is available.
The skis that I am considering appear to have very few wear and tear, despite their age. I also trust in manual Stockli ski production. I am looking for something longer, easier turns, precise carving.

Thank you all!

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have yet to ski a Stockli, so I can't weigh in on that, but do consider what bindings are on them since the skis are from 2006. There's a good chance they won't be on the indemnified list anymore, in which case you will have a hard time finding a ski tech to do any adjustments on them. Do you know what bindings are on the skis?

Lilia

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Bindings are Marker. Not checked them being on the list right now, but at the moment I believe they should be. mar.jpg

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was just doing a quick look online, and all the photos I found had those same bindings, Marker M900. I did not see them on last year's list.

Lilia

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Much appreciated your looking, diymom!

Lilia

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just called my technician, they said they are doing Marker M900...

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am looking for something longer, easier turns, precise carving.

I looked up both skis with "review" in the search. Both skis are old so it's hard to find reviews. But what I did find is general marketing from the manufacturers for both skis. The Volkls are marketed as skis for advanced/expert skiers. These particular Stocklis are marketed to intermediates.

It sounds like you are looking for skis to support advancing your skills into carving. By most standards, carving is considered an advanced/expert skill.

When comparing skis that support carving, what you want to look for is torsional stiffness (it won't twist along its length when you tip it up onto its edges). A ski that twists away from the snow when it's put up on edge is not going to help a skier hold an edge in a carved turn. A ski that doesn't twist will hold that edge. Torsional stiffness is not usually discussed in general marketing to buyers, but that's what you need, other attributes being the same.

When manufacturers say a ski is for intermediates, then it's probably safe to assume that it is torsionally soft compared to a similar ski marketed to advanced/expert skiers. The two skis you have chosen are pretty much similar in their numbers. So I'm trying to figure out the torsional stiffness of them both.

When a ski twists, it loses its edge hold. This is a benefit for a skier whose movements are awkward and imprecise. Catching an edge is not a good thing. Someone moving up from novied into intermediate-hood would need such a ski, one torsionally soft, sort-of. Such a skier will benefit from "forgiving" skis that don't punish the skier with too much grip when not-so-good movements are employed.

But I don't think that's you. You sound like you are moving from intermediate status towards being an advanced skier. You need a front-side carver marketed to advanced/expert skiers. More recent skis than what you currently have should be easier to work with and still very supportive of learning to carve your turns. The biggest help in carving for you, since you already have advanced/expert skis, is learning to tip the skis at turn entry without rotating them. A good lesson can help skiers with this simple but very difficult challenge.

Conclusion: I don't think these particular Stockli skis are going to deliver what you want.

Last edited:

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
May I ask what it is in particular you like about these skis? They're old, so my guess is they're pretty inexpensive. But there are a lot of older, inexpensive skis out there. Why are you interested in the Stocklis? What's your ski level, and what type of ski are you looking for?

Lilia

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow liquidfeet, thanks for your great analysis!

May I ask what it is in particular you like about these skis? They're old, so my guess is they're pretty inexpensive. But there are a lot of older, inexpensive skis out there. Why are you interested in the Stocklis? What's your ski level, and what type of ski are you looking for?

Attracted by Stocklis after I saw my expert friend speaking very highly of them after having demoed a Stoeckli. However, they are known for insane prices, therefore looking at older models that are not necessary outdated, and may deliver what I need.

I know that they would be rare now. That's why I look 1) what I find on the market, and 2) if the finding could be good for me.

I would be interested in advanced intermediate skis. That pair seems to have similar characteristics, that's why I asked a question. My current skis do the job okay, but I think a longer skis might be better for me at the time.

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If I were you, I would not buy these without trying them out first, no matter how good the deal is. 2006 is pretty ancient in the ski world and if you are planning to work on your carving skills for years to come, I’d invest a little more for skis from this decade/recent few years so you can use current technology to improve and enjoy. If your friend is speaking very highly of Stockli after a demo, I am assuming it is of a recent model that has great technology that makes them so amazing, not one from the last decade.
I think how a pair of skis perform has alot to do with the skier, so it is not really possible to “get a feel for them” just by looking at specs and not actually trying them out yourself. Stiffness matters but it depends on what kind of carver you are - do you like speed v. cruising, do you use the edges effectively, do you charge aggressively, do you only carve on freshly groomed/hard/soft/cruds, etc. All these will determine the stiffness and core material that works best for you.
I have the 2018 Kastle MX89 @164 as my GS skis, and the 2019 Stockli LaserAX @154 as my SL skis. These 10cm makes a huge difference in my skiing, so depending on your weight/height, I wouldn’t go longer until you know what type of turns you enjoy the most.

Lilia

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Many many thanks to everyone! :smile:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna