• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Carv review

Littlesonique

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I finally got these to work! I sailed through carving levels 1-6 and “she” hardly corrected me. Then I hit level 7 and I could do nothing right and she was criticizing every other turn. Imagine having someone in your ear telling you basically non-stop that you need to change this and that and on and on. It got really old and I had to turn it off.

I would have been fine if it realized I would buckle my knees in and remind me every so often but it was constant and I felt like I couldn’t do anything right. I also think going from level 6 and not getting any advise to level 7 and basically being told I’m doing everything wrong is just bad.

I’m going to chat with them on Monday and see if there are any setting that can solve that constant nickpicking. Who could ski like that? Reminded me of watching is instructor skiing behind his student and actually yelling at him when to turn. Grated, that may have worked for that guy, but I would have impaled him with my ski pole. :fencing:

Alpenglow

Certified Ski Diva
Did you end up keeping them? I think Carv gives you 30 days to try them out so thinking it can't hurt to order a pair...

Littlesonique

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had them for more than 30 days so no refund :(

StayWarm

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm new here (hi everyone!) and wanted to add my thoughts on Carv, which I got at the beginning of this season. For reference, I'm an advanced-ish skiier who (until this season) hadn't taken lessons since I was a teenager (now in my mid-30s). My husband and I moved to Colorado this year for more time in the mountains, I was looking for ways to improve, and fell for Carv's Black Friday sale on Instagram.

I think Carv is a great way to develop better awareness of body position, outside ski pressure, and edge for intermediate and up skiiers. Since a lot of technique starts in your feet, and that's the only place that Carv has sensors, the feedback can make a big difference. I enjoy the various skill categories, as well as the free ski option. In combination with YouTube videos and (more recently) some small group lessons, I think it's helped a lot this season.

That said, Carv is really only appropriate for working one kind of skiing: On-piste, groomed runs where you're focused on, well, carving. It's no good in moguls, or on a powder day, where you need different techniques.

I also agree with @Littlesonique that the constant feedback in the skill-specific units can be frustrating. The app has a limited range of feedback cues, and hearing over and over on every turn that you need to increase pressure on your outside ski isn't super helpful and can feel stressful (especially if it feels like you're doing it, but the app doesn't think you are). I usually use the skill tests on a few runs early in the day and then switch to the free training session (where you only get feedback at the very end of the run, rather than throughout the run) toward the end of the day, as I get more tired.

I don't think Carv is a substitute for a good ski instructor, but it can be a nice supplement, and is worth the price if you're someone who skis enough that you're willing to spend some of your days focused on technique, rather than just cruising around and having a good time. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who only gets a couple ski trips in a year.

I'll also note that with both Carv and my boot heaters on, I end up feeling like the bionic boot lady, but it is possible to use both at once.

Happy to answer questions about Carv if anyone's got them!

StayWarm

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the review. Are you still using it this year? It does look intriguing...

I am indeed still using them this year! I think my review would be the same as what I wrote up last year in terms of pluses/minuses and the kind of user it's most appropriate for. They continue to update the application with more types of training exercises and a wider variety of feedback, which has been nice. Happy to answer any questions!

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My BIL is now all over this thing. He’s an analytic and gadget guy, so it’ll be really interesting to get his feedback.

SMichael08

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I keep seeing the Facebook ads for Carv and watched a few Youtube reviews, but they were mostly early reviews when the tech seemed glitchier. This is helpful!

Fletchermoore

Diva in Training
I'm new here (hi everyone!) and wanted to add my thoughts on Carv, which I got at the beginning of this season. For reference, I'm an advanced-ish skiier who (until this season) hadn't taken lessons since I was a teenager (now in my mid-30s). My husband and I moved to Colorado this year for more time in the mountains, I was looking for ways to improve, and fell for Carv's Black Friday sale on Instagram.

I think Carv is a great way to develop better awareness of body position, outside ski pressure, and edge for intermediate and up skiiers. Since a lot of technique starts in your feet, and that's the only place that Carv has sensors, the feedback can make a big difference. I enjoy the various skill categories, as well as the free ski option. In combination with YouTube videos and (more recently) some small group lessons, I think it's helped a lot this season.

That said, Carv is really only appropriate for working one kind of skiing: On-piste, groomed runs where you're focused on, well, carving. It's no good in moguls, or on a powder day, where you need different techniques.

I also agree with @Littlesonique that the constant feedback in the skill-specific units can be frustrating. The app has a limited range of feedback cues, and hearing over and over on every turn that you need to increase pressure on your outside ski isn't super helpful and can feel stressful (especially if it feels like you're doing it, but the app doesn't think you are). I usually use the skill tests on a few runs early in the day and then switch to the free training session (where you only get feedback at the very end of the run, rather than throughout the run) toward the end of the day, as I get more tired.

I don't think Carv is a substitute for a good ski instructor, but it can be a nice supplement, and is worth the price if you're someone who skis enough that you're willing to spend some of your days focused on technique, rather than just cruising around and having a good time. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who only gets a couple ski trips in a year.

I'll also note that with both Carv and my boot heaters on, I end up feeling like the bionic boot lady, but it is possible to use both at once.

Happy to answer questions about Carv if anyone's got them!
Hi there, just considering Carv. I have custom boots and boot heaters. Are you still using Carv and feel it is worth it?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly