• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Cars and Transmissions - CVT specifically

Jenny

Angel Diva
Prompted by a post in another thread . . . and also because a deer totalled DH's vehicle and we need another one.

Anyone have an opinion on the Nissan CVT transmission? Been doing some reading on these (because I am completely car ignorant - I know where the gas goes and where the oil goes) and it sounds like they don't necessarily hold up well, but I'm also seeing that Subaru and Honda use them and I know that @nopoleskier and @ski diva, and lots of other people love their Subarus. So maybe it's the car manufacturer, not the type of transmission.

Anyway, just curious.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
it is the type of transmission. after 14 subaru's I'm a tough one to change. many of the things subaru has perfected (AWD/CVT etc) are now being used on other manufacturers. I like that Subaru isn't 'new' to the technology and why I have never have to take my subaru's in for big ticket fixes.. (other than 1 car the catalytic converter kept blowing up-all covered under warranty and I got rid of it)

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In the first weeks after I got a Subaru, the shift from Reverse to Drive drove me nuts. There is a hesitation. I read about it on car forums and learned that hesitation of up to, as I recall, 3 seconds is within tolerance. Well, it wasn't within mine. I adapted and don't really notice it now.

Subaru has been doing this for a long time, so I have confidence in their transmission.

Jenny

Angel Diva
it is the type of transmission. after 14 subaru's I'm a tough one to change. many of the things subaru has perfected (AWD/CVT etc) are now being used on other manufacturers. I like that Subaru isn't 'new' to the technology and why I have never have to take my subaru's in for big ticket fixes.. (other than 1 car the catalytic converter kept blowing up-all covered under warranty and I got rid of it)
How long do you keep your cars? Well over 100,000 miles? 200,000?

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How long do you keep your cars? Well over 100,000 miles? 200,000?

one has 120K, my 2016 has 50,000 (I put 20+/yr on my cars between real estate and skiing)
I had one that I drove 200K and sold to someone who drove longer!

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
I think CVT is pretty common these days - especially with Japanese carmakers. I think you’re right that the reliability largely depends on the car manufacturer.

I sometimes read Car and Driver articles to kill time and my general impression from my light automotive reading is that Nissan has had fairly middling reviews lately but Honda models (many of which seem to have CVT) are considered fairly reliable. No opinion on Subaru. I test-drove a Honda CR-V about 2 years ago (which would make it part of the prior generation before they introduced design changes) and I had absolutely no complaints about the shifting.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is a good question. I don’t know the exact answer but I was reading recently too. It sounds like they do fail more severely than a regular transmission, require more maintenance, cost more to fix and did have issues with earlier model failures. I’ve read they are more reliable in newer models though and they are better off mated with 4 cylinder engines with lower horsepower than 6 cylinders with greater horsepower. There is a list of cars that have more reliable ones it was interesting who was on it - Audi, ford, Mitsubishi and about 3-4 others that I can’t recall but Honda, Nissan and Subaru were not on it. They were unusual brands like Austin Healy might have even been on there. I think it’s nearly impossible to find a four cylinder without one these days though as the gas mileage is much better with one.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Yep, I've seen that article. Have been googling and have found articles both for and against, reviews both for and against, forum talk for and against, etc. etc. It's confusing, especially since I'm not a car person.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I would say if you are looking at a 4 cylinder car that is 2016 or newer the cvt would probably be fine, most of the bad reviews are from the 2015-2016 and before timeframe. Maybe a little more cautious with a v6 and 200hp or more in that age range. If you are looking for something older than 2016 be more cautious probably avoid a v6 or look at Toyota’s, I think they were later to come on board with the cvt and you might be able to find one without it.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Toyota Rav 4 and Mazda CX 5 are both regular 4 cylinder engines.

I think the Honda CRV is CVT, as are the Nissan Rogue and Murano.

He started out wanting a Murano (V6 and CVT) but has decided not to take the chance on it.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
CVT is not the best for towing. The cars can really struggle with any weight.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
my 2016 Outback is a 4cylinder I have had ZERO problems 52,000+ miles

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for this thread; CVT has been a concern with me, too. I rely heavily on using low gears to engine brake, and not just in the winter. I use it coming down hills regularly. My current car (VW Jetta Sportwagen) has a great set-up that allows me to just knock the stick to the right and gain access to five lower gears. I worry about how similar the "simulated" engine braking would be with a CVT.

Because of how much I like this feature in the VW, I started looking for cars with manual transmissions, and don't you know, there aren't any (ok, pick-up trucks and some vehicles I'm not interested in for other reasons, but zero options in cars I'm looking at (Rav4, CRV, Forester).

So I would be very interested to know how well the CVT does in slowing you down on steep hills.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for this thread; CVT has been a concern with me, too. I rely heavily on using low gears to engine brake, and not just in the winter. I use it coming down hills regularly. My current car (VW Jetta Sportwagen) has a great set-up that allows me to just knock the stick to the right and gain access to five lower gears. I worry about how similar the "simulated" engine braking would be with a CVT.

Because of how much I like this feature in the VW, I started looking for cars with manual transmissions, and don't you know, there aren't any (ok, pick-up trucks and some vehicles I'm not interested in for other reasons, but zero options in cars I'm looking at (Rav4, CRV, Forester).

So I would be very interested to know how well the CVT does in slowing you down on steep hills.
I owned a paddle shift auto. and a manual side by side and in terms of gearing down instead of braking they are pretty much the same. A cvt has no gears so it interesting about how they would work but Mitsubishi has a paddle shift in some of their cars with cvt so they must be able to do something I suppose? Doesn’t subaru have a paddle shift or at least a 2 and a 1 you can shift into?

TeleChica

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My Subie Imprezza wagon also has paddle shifters and it worked just fine for me downhill in the snow. When we did our BC trip to Fernie and Whitewater, we drove an SUV (forget the manufacturer) with paddle shifters over snowy mountain passes with total confidence. Years before that a friend drove Teton pass in a Mini with paddle shifters. Both experiences, plus the better gas mileage have made me fan.

mustski

Angel Diva
I never get rid of a vehicle before 200,000 miles and have had some (Mercedes) go to 400,000. Do you all get rid of them early back east because of rust and other issues? I know it's off topic but I'm curious about the differences.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I never get rid of a vehicle before 200,000 miles and have had some (Mercedes) go to 400,000. Do you all get rid of them early back east because of rust and other issues? I know it's off topic but I'm curious about the differences.

Definitely rust for me, on a 16 y.o. vehicle that has been garaged for 11 of those years. Parts of my exhaust are now falling off because of it. Every mechanic on the west coast that has had my car up on a lift has remarked about the rust I acquired from salt back east.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna