• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Carrying ALL.THE.STUFF.

Alisonpv

Certified Ski Diva
I hope it’s ok I made a second thread for this question, as it is a different question… (however again, was unsure if it should be in Tips, gear or family. I chose “tips” because it feels like a general enough question that anyone could use the advice?)

How do you carry all your stuff to and from the car? I have a 6 year old, so we have 4 skis, 2 poles, 2 helmets, and a backpack.

After several trips and rearranging ways to carry stuff, currently this is what I’m doing. However it’s not ideal, and is kinda still a PITA.

I carry our big backpack with our pants, mittens, etc inside, and I dangle my helmet off the outside. I strap my boots to the backpack… I strap the Velcro tension straps to each other, threaded through the backpack loops.. so the boots are dangling from the bottom of the backpack, sort of against my hips. (Photo attached, this is hard to describe).

I got my kiddo a cheap boot backpack from Facebook marketplace! So his boots and helmet are in his backpack, and he usually will carry his skis OR my poles (often my poles). So I’m carrying MY skis and his skis.

On the way IN, my kiddo is quite helpful, (however a bit clumsy ). But on the way OUT, he’s tired, a lot more clumsy and is less helpful… in both willingness and ability.

How do you moms do this? How are you efficiently carrying your stuff AND your kids? I see ski carrying gadgets on Amazon, Will any carry 2 pair skis? Is it ok I’m dangling my boots off my backpack? Is it ok they’re banging into each other?

(photo of how I’m strapping the boots to the backpack, it’s hard to describe!)

Attachments

• 5E5ED44B-FDCF-4EBE-AE3F-7A62D80AC84D.jpeg
    5E5ED44B-FDCF-4EBE-AE3F-7A62D80AC84D.jpeg
    471.9 KB · Views: 17

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi and welcome! Are multiple trips to the car in the morning possible or is the usual parking too far away? I generally make several trips to get all the gear out in the morning. When I am carrying 2 pairs of skis I usually use a shoulder carry (like this) on each side. Line up the brakes so the ski doesn’t slide away and it’s pretty easy. Especially if the child can help you get the second pair set up. I have found affordable boot backpacks, maybe invest in one of those for yourself too so the boots don’t smash around while you shoulder the skis?4A5D1328-4FCB-4535-AA50-8A74DF7E01A8.jpeg

elemmac

Angel Diva
Not a mom here…but I’d go with a couple boot bags. One for yourself, one for the kiddo.

Kulkea makes amazing bags, including kid-sized ones. Theoretically your 6 year old could carry their own boots, helmet, and snow-wear. This leave their hands open to carry skis.

Another option is a hockey bag…(with wheels or not). Throw everything in one bag except your skis (you might be able to get a goalie bag with plenty of room for poles and the kids skis). Something like this…https://www.goaliemonkey.com/equipm...lie-equipment-bag-pro-wheeled-large-44in.html

marzNC

Angel Diva
I hope it’s ok I made a second thread for this question, as it is a different question… (however again, was unsure if it should be in Tips, gear or family. I chose “tips” because it feels like a general enough question that anyone could use the advice?)
New threads are fine. The Family section is a good place for questions related to skiing with kids, but it doesn't really matter. Most regular readers/members use New Posts during the season any way.

How do you moms do this? How are you efficiently carrying your stuff AND your kids? I see ski carrying gadgets on Amazon, Will any carry 2 pair skis? Is it ok I’m dangling my boots off my backpack? Is it ok they’re banging into each other?
The walk I had for our home mountain when my daughter was under 7 was pretty short (small hill in northern VA). We would carry the skis and poles first and put them in a convenient rack. She would carry the poles and I would carry both pairs of skis. Then we went back to the car for everything else.

Same approach if we brought along one of her friends. The girls were already dressed for skiing except for ski boots. So all they had to carry was their boots. Usually wore helmets from the car to the lodge. I had a boot backpack with all of my stuff.

I tried assorted ski carriers. But ultimately the kids did better just learning how to carry their own skis and poles. By the time they were tweens, it wasn't an issue. Carrying skis and poles horizontally in two arms was an option. I would help load up if that's what was going to be the process.

marzNC

Angel Diva
A couple fun reads for parents taking younger kids to the slopes.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Your kids may be past this point, but might be useful ideas in this thread from several years ago. I don't really remember how the discussion went after Page 1. My daughter is in college now.

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have 3 kids now 11, 9, and 9. We have been skiing since they were little the first year we would boot up and gear up at the car and then kids would carry poles and my husband and I would carry skis. After the first year kids have been putting boots on at home and finish getting ready in the parking lot. If my dh is with me, he would often take the skis to the base area, of we were able to park close enough and I would help kids get ready. As a matter of necessity, my kids have all had to carry their own gear since they have been 5/6. Can you get everyone ready at the car instead of carrying it all to the lodge/base to get ready??

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree with a boot bag for yourself. It’s just a good way to keep necessities organized too. My youngest was 7 when they started skiing, and we lived close to a small feeder hill, so I would have kids gear up at home. I would usually boot at the car. Kids would carry their own gear, but at the end of the day to simplify matters I would often park them at a ski drop off area with all of the gear, and drive up to get them. But that wasn’t leaving a single 6 year old by themselves, it was a 6 and 10. Ok, gotta backtrack on the kids carrying their own gear, there were times I would carry skis for the youngest, and have them take everyone’s poles to speed things up.

Alisonpv

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks everyone! Good tips, I probably should get a boot bag for myself too, I’ll keep an eye out on marketplace.

Follow up question….
How do you pack the boot bag?? What else are you bringing? Maybe I’m over packing. I bring two sets of gloves/mittens per person, maybe that’s superfluous. I also bring drinks and snacks, those aren’t negotiable

Is it ok to clunk around in the boots through the whole parking lot?

Two trips would work! (Most of the time. Sometimes we do have to park quite a distance. ) And I’m honestly unsure why this didn’t occur to me. Yes I’m the person who will carry 37 grocery bags in from the car in one trip, why do you ask??? :rotf:

Last edited:

Alisonpv

Certified Ski Diva
A couple fun reads for parents taking younger kids to the slopes.

omg these were great!

RoseSki

Certified Ski Diva
I don't have kids, but I'm avidly reading about all kinds of tips to make local ski hill trips more efficient! Love the lists.

I wonder if anyone who needs to coordinate multiple sets of all the stuff has considered a collapsible wagon with sturdy wheels should it need to go over snow? I and quite a few others in my building (large condo building with underground garage) have these for schlepping various loads from the garage to the condo. I will also use mine for beach trips b/c the tires do well on sand.

collapsible wagon

Wouldn't help with the multiple trips because it probably would need to be returned to the car before skiing, but could make the whole process easier.

Jilly

Staff member
Someone uses a plastic sled/toboggan. The problem is where do you store it while you're skiing....
My Dad was "if you can't carry it, you don't need it" type of guy. So got used to minimal...

Hammie

Certified Ski Diva
When my kids were little (started ages 3 and 5), I had to lug everything for all 3 of us - I tried convincing my husband to learn how to ski, but that didn’t happen! I became pretty minimalist over time. What worked for me:

1. Boots on at the car. No need to haul shoes around. If they were tired they could wear them home too. I have a boot drier/heater that plugs into the car, and I’d warm up the boots on the way there to make it quick and comfortable to put them on.

2. Backpack for me with food, extra gloves, extra chemical hand warmers, and extra neck tubes. I’d let a small stuffie do a ride-along when they were really small, because nothing helps a tired, grumpy, & cold child at the end of the day like an old friend. Nothing else seemed to get used that often, so I’d just bring some money for the rare times we needed something else

3. As soon as they’re old enough, start carrying poles. I would have the older kid carry my poles and his, younger carried their own. As soon as they are strong enough, add their skis too, at least in the morning. I was still prepared to help in the afternoon.

4. I repurposed our camping firewood carrier for hauling skis. Basically a large piece of very tough canvas with handles that can fold in half while you haul stuff, then it got folded up and stuffed in the backpack. I could handle 3 pairs of skis that way. Our ski hill now has wagons in the parking lot for gear hauling - maybe email yours and ask if they’d consider adding them?

5. On the days that they were truly exhausted at the end of the day (or, more often, I was!) and they were a bit older, I’d stick them in front of the base area fire pit with a hot chocolate and go get the car alone, then drive up to the 5 min parking at the base area to load them and the gear.

They’re now teens, still love skiing (one just got his level 1 instructor certification!), and carry my stuff for me :smile: so it seems to have worked out.

Good luck, and you’re a great parent for making the effort to get your kiddo out skiing!

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wear things rather than carrying them! I start my walk up from the carpark 'ready-to-ski' unless I have a long way to walk uphill, in which case I carry my boots and wear snowboots.
If I'm at a resort where there's lots of space and a good base to stash a bag (and usually more of a hike from the carpark as it's busier!), I walk up with my helmet, mittens, ski pants etc. on already, so am only carrying my skis, boots in my boot bag, and poles, plus the usual snacks, spare gloves, and extra midlayer. Then I return to base for lunch etc. so am only carrying pocket snacks.
Otherwise, I wear my boots and carry my smaller pack which contains my midlayer, snacks, gloves and hand-warmers. I walk wearing my boots which have cat-tracks/traction soles attached, with my skis strapped to my pack or over my shoulder, and poles to balance.

elemmac

Angel Diva
When packing to go skiing I always do a “toe to head” check (rather than having a list). Start at the ground, then feet, legs, chest, arms, hands, head…skis, socks, boots, pant baselayer, ski pants…all the way up to helmet and goggles.
Lastly: Phone/wallet/keys check is always mandatory when leaving the house.

This at least gets you the mandatory items to spend the day on the hill.

MissySki

Angel Diva
When packing to go skiing I always do a “toe to head” check (rather than having a list). Start at the ground, then feet, legs, chest, arms, hands, head…skis, socks, boots, pant baselayer, ski pants…all the way up to helmet and goggles.
Lastly: Phone/wallet/keys check is always mandatory when leaving the house.

This at least gets you the mandatory items to spend the day on the hill.
I do this too.. though the other day I somehow had a lapse and ended up on the hill without my ID, credit card, and insurance card which I ALWAYS carry when skiing. It was so unsettling to ski without ID as I was alone for the afternoon and wondered what would happen if I got hurt. Though I apparently wasn’t so worried that it compelled me to go back in and unboot etc. to go get them either.. I think that’ll hopefully be a weird one off I won’t repeat anytime soon, I was apparently just too excited to get out that morning lol.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna