• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: Can't decide on new skis

susanvanness

Diva in Training
Hello,
I am 5'4", 110 lbs, agressive skier, love moguls and steep. I hadn't skied for 9 years and just got back into skiing 2 years ago. My friends are advanced/expert skiers/snowboarders so I picked it back up quick. I mainly skied Blues when my son was little. Now I mostly ski blacks. I purchased Head Wild Thang size 156 over the internet, they are very heavy to carry and they suck going down steep moguls. I rented K2 Sweet Luvs (150) for the Talons Challenge (13 of their steepest mogul runs) in Beaver Creek this past February and was faster and felt in control (unlike my heavy Head skis). I liked the K2 Sweet Luvs and K2 Tru Luv skis but the reviews say they are for beginners. What skis would you recommend for me? I do like size 150, maybe because we do alot of moguls?
Thank you very much for your help!
Susan from Denver

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
150 seems pretty short.
What about last year's K2 Free Luv? More advanced.
If I were you, I'd be looking at the Loveland demo days to try stuff out. Sounds like you'd be best-served with a mid-fat (85+) and tip rocker at the very least, tip and tail might do even better in moguls (positive camber under foot). And at least mid 150's, if not 160 if it has both tip and tail rocker.

bitoffluff

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
im 5'3" and 122lbs and am on 150 for piste - i get waht you mean us small lightwieghts can struggle with heavier or longer especially when we like a nippy feel. I swear by my Fischer Koa 78s but no doubt some would argue i should be on longer or more "expert" skis - my theory is if it feels good and skis do as asked then they are great skis for you. What makes you think you need more "expert" skis? Are the Free Luvs not doing what you want? If you like em, ski em :smile:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I was the one who suggested the Free. She was talking about Sweet and Tru Luv. Given her stated location, Denver, a ski that would offer some versatility makes sense for where she skis: something that will handle more than just moguls. Obviously, anyone is free to purchase whichever ski they choose. She did ask for input, and it was offered. There are lots of skis out there that will do just fine in moguls, but they will be much better than what she mentions in the likes of powder, crud, etc. And with so many skis now having tip rocker at the very least, that eliminates that section of edge contact with the ski, so longer would serve to provide the same edge contact length as the shorter, non-rockered skis.

Skis aren’t cheap. Nothing’s worse than making the purchase, only to wish not long after that you’d gone wider and/or longer. Or vice versa, I suppose. If OP hadn’t had some doubts or questions, she wouldn’t have made the effort to post and ask.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Have to talked to the women at Outdoor Divas? The gals demoed women's skis at Winter Park last year so they have first hand experience with them.

I have the Head Wild Ones, 09 version, in a 150. They have lots of ski days so I'm looking for a new just "grab it and go ski. I'm 5"2 and 106 lbs so I know what you mean about skis for lightweights. For powder days I ski the Rossi BC 110's (now the S3W) in a 159. This ski has a rockered tip and tail, which means I'm skiing the center of the ski, thus the longer length. I can ski powder, trees, bumps on this ski but it is better in soft snow. For standard technology, not rockered, lengths in 150-154 works for me depending on the ski. I'm looking at the new Rossi Temptation 82 or 88 because I love the rockered technology and want a similiar ski for everyday.

Christy Sports is having their big sale this weekend in Dillon. Yesterday, they had a pair of Rossi's S80W's flat (no binding) that had been drilled and they offered them to me for 15% off the listed price. Don't quote me on this but I think they listed them for $389 . Call the Christy Dillon store. They may be able to transfer them to Denver for you. The skis were on the 3rd floor, not outside in the tent. Call early as they may get busy today.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hello,
I am 5'4", 110 lbs, agressive skier, love moguls and steep. I hadn't skied for 9 years and just got back into skiing 2 years ago. My friends are advanced/expert skiers/snowboarders so I picked it back up quick. I mainly skied Blues when my son was little. Now I mostly ski blacks. I purchased Head Wild Thang size 156 over the internet, they are very heavy to carry and they suck going down steep moguls. I rented K2 Sweet Luvs (150) for the Talons Challenge (13 of their steepest mogul runs) in Beaver Creek this past February and was faster and felt in control (unlike my heavy Head skis). I liked the K2 Sweet Luvs and K2 Tru Luv skis but the reviews say they are for beginners. What skis would you recommend for me? I do like size 150, maybe because we do alot of moguls?
Thank you very much for your help!
Susan from Denver
First of all, what binding do you have on the Head Wild Thang? I recall skiing that ski and didn't think it was terribly heavy.
Second of all, the new K2 women's line is the Super line and for your interests, you may want to look at the Super Free. If you can find an older model, you could look for a K2 Free Luv.

Another great option that I liked at testing was the Fischer Koa My Style Ski line. Look into the Koa 78. Its pretty easy to ski and yet shouldn't hold you back.

Anna

Angel Diva
Another great option that I liked at testing was the Fischer Koa My Style Ski line. Look into the Koa 78. Its pretty easy to ski and yet shouldn't hold you back.

To add to skis along the line of the Fisher Koa, for all mountain, but if you like it a dash stiffer but still light, try these, in no real order:

Fisher Watea 84 - stiffer, but still light - 159cm
Head Mya No. 8
Head Mya no. 6 - stiffer than the 8
Salomon Bamboo = VERY VERY similar feel and length to the Watea, but 87 underfoot. - 159cm
Dynastar Sultan (Legend?) 85. The Watea and the Sultan compete all the time for the same stuff......

Have FUN testing and do not be afraid of going into the 80's - 90's underfoot - you'll be amazed!!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna