• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Cancelling my first day out.....

Was supposed to ski tomorrow, but it's raining here in Southern New England, and I don't want to ski on wet snow and risk injury (1 ski gets stuck and the other keeps going and my stuck knee pays big time), so I've canceled the ski plans and will work instead.... And go to the gym!

Next day planned out is December 4th and the weather pattern looks pretty good -- no snow in the forecast but good snowmaking and grooming temps, enough to turn the ice cookies that will form from this storm back into that famous Northeastern "machine groomed" snow!

:snow:

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That is a bummer. I figured my skiing plans were squashed until next weekend, but had a surprise opening at Boyne Mt, just 1 1/2 hr north of me, so I jumped in my jeep and went to Boyne.
No one wanted to go for a last minute trip so I went alone and played Jewish Geography. I ended up meeting Kneale Brownson from Epic. That man is a gem!!!

Hope you have a chance to ski soon, so you can get your ski legs before Stowe!!!

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It does stink. I was supposed to get my 1st day out yesterday at Hunter... but then I came down with an awful stomach bug. Still feeling queasy. :(

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had the opportunity to go skiing yeaterday, and I just didn't even want to. Early season skiing just doesn't get me too excited for some reason. I never used to go until the past few years, my daughter sees "opening day" on the news and by god, we are not gonna miss that. I like to use the early season to get out and hike/snowshoe and do other peaceful activities in the snow away from the crowds before full immersion into the "urban backcountry". I ussually refrain from getting out alot during hunting season, I figure it's their time and so be it let em have it so I take advantage of this time of year in that way. Of course, I am not sure I am going to get away with not going next weekend and we have an out of town trip planned the following weekend, so the intermediary is short lived this year.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I skied this morning and I have to say it was fabulous -- soft, hero snow, a number of new trails open, and completely empty. I think the forecast for rain kept people away.

Raining now. Can't blame you for canceling your plans. Bummer, though.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
I had the opportunity to go skiing yeaterday, and I just didn't even want to. Early season skiing just doesn't get me too excited for some reason.

Normally I could get behind that, but this year has been really good. It's definitely worth hitting up Mt. Snow if you can get there. Did anyone go to Killington this past weekend? Curious if it's getting more crowded or not -- reports from the weekend of the 17th all said it was pretty empty.

We're heading up for days 3 and 4 this coming weekend, but not sure where we're going yet. The freedom of not having a pass! :D

Jilly

Staff member
Yah, if you're not comfortable skiing in that stuff, then don't 1. waste the money and 2 the time. Now you've probably got your Christmas shopping done, where I've 2 days in and not got my shopping done yet. It's all about balance!

It's been raining steadily here all evening and the weather reports for South Londonderry (Stratton) and Ludlow (Okemo) look equally dismal, so I made the right choice. I'll run some errands tomorrow (my older daughter turns 14 on Friday and wants chocolate fondue for dessert so I need to pick up some dark Toblerone bars), hit the gym, and get some work done/make some $. Hopefully next Tuesday will be my first day out!

Kano

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I skied this morning and I have to say it was fabulous -- soft, hero snow, a number of new trails open, and completely empty. I think the forecast for rain kept people away.

Raining now. Can't blame you for canceling your plans. Bummer, though.

Hero snow??????

Kano

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Hero Snow is a term used to describe snow on which you can do no wrong. You'll know it when you ski it! :smile:

Kano

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you, SkiDiva! I feel like such a newbie! Everything's new this year! So much to learn!

Kano

Kano

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can hardly wait to get out and play in the snow!

Going to sleep in my boots tonight -- maybe THAT will make the snow fall!

Running out of patience for that to happen...

(It IS in tonight's forecast, maybe the boots will help?)

Kano

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Normally I could get behind that, but this year has been really good. It's definitely worth hitting up Mt. Snow if you can get there. Did anyone go to Killington this past weekend? Curious if it's getting more crowded or not -- reports from the weekend of the 17th all said it was pretty empty.

We're heading up for days 3 and 4 this coming weekend, but not sure where we're going yet. The freedom of not having a pass! :D

I skiied at Killington on Sunday, there was a lot of good snow, even some of the "hero" type (thanks Diva for explanation). Chute was excellent and all around the poma lift, Mousetrap was good. I even skiied East Fall (kind of by accident but handled it ok). Not crowded, sunny, very nice. One thing did scare the s*** out of me, tho---they opened Superstar and the Superstar chair. I went up and decided to go down the little connecting route to Skyelark...it was nothing but ICE across the connector. I was sliding down trying to grab the miniscule bit of snow that had blown across it, looking at a dropoff. I was really scared, not panicked tho, but yikes. the trail itself was good when I got there thank god.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

You are lucky, early season skiing in our area is a friggin joke! Our snow making capabilities are limited by climate. To get the right combination of temperature and humidity and dew point is like harmonic convergence. It may happen 5 times if that. Our areas never attempted to open before mid-December until recently. It's pathetic really. The first run up looks pretty good, there is only a couple open, the whole town is there and by midday, the runs are a polka-dot pattern of snow with the top of the stumps showing through. No thank you. Patience ussually pays off it gets much better next month.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly