• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Can your feet get fat?

KBee

Angel Diva
My boots don't fit anymore. I gained about 20 lbs. Think that's it? Am going to demo some to get through the day.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don’t know that for sure. But I do know when I dropped 50+ pounds I went down half a shoe size. But 20 pounds doesn’t seem enough to make a difference. I’m sure someone has a better or more scientific answer! Sorry your boots are giving you a bad hour!

Christy

Angel Diva
Your feet can get bigger as you age because they spread out. Basically things start to flop and flatten out (just like other body parts start to sag or give into gravity, I guess). It's pretty common.

judeb

Certified Ski Diva
And I feel like mine have also got a bit wider and flatter in the last couple of years even though my weight has remained the same. I'm 44, so maybe age, as Christy mentioned, also plays a role.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, they absolutely can increase a mm or two in overall volume with weight gain/loss. I was on the losing end of the spectrum 3 years ago and had issues of my boots suddenly having more room. A mm in a boot is a lot!

KBee

Angel Diva
Thanks. I ended up having some basic boot work done. I never had the liners heated/molded so that helped, but now they feel packed out, which is why I never heat molded them... And trying footbeds again, even though they have hurt my knees in the past.

newboots

Angel Diva
Good luck, @KBee. I grew 1/2 size also during pregnancy. And my feet grow a bit during the summer when they aren’t confined to shoes very much, but sneakers, sandals, and flip flops instead.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I think my toes got a tiny bit smaller after losing 40 lbs. I say that because the last 2 years I have had terrible trouble with the toes on my left foot. Every time I was in the lodge I had to remove the boot. I was feeling desperate despite a lot of boot work. The toes would frequently go dead and I often skied in a fair amount of pain.

This season I have had zero trouble with my toes. I guess I don't have to either:
1) give up skiing...or
2) amputate my middle toe! These were the
options suggested by mr.skibum.

What a relief!... seriously.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think my toes got a tiny bit smaller after losing 40 lbs. I say that because the last 2 years I have had terrible trouble with the toes on my left foot. Every time I was in the lodge I had to remove the boot. I was feeling desperate despite a lot of boot work. The toes would frequently go dead and I often skied in a fair amount of pain.

This season I have had zero trouble with my toes. I guess I don't have to either:
1) give up skiing...or
2) amputate my middle toe! These were the
options suggested by mr.skibum.

What a relief!... seriously.
Maybe some bootfitters don't have the equipment to enlarge the toe box in a way that would help your toes. My beloved bootfitter (the one who finally put me in boots that fit my feet properly) made a tool just for that purpose, and when he raised the roof over my toes AND widened the toe box, things for me got a lot better.

newboots

Angel Diva
A talented bootfitter is so important! Mine has fashioned all sorts of tools (he will offer a tour of the back room if you display any interest!) and patented some of them. He has changed my skiing for the better, twice!

I suppose there are limited tools on the market for this arcane profession.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna