• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Can you suggest some new skis?

ArmyWife

Certified Ski Diva
Hi Ladies. I'm new here and sure am glad I found this forum. Wish I had found it earlier. Anyway...I'm going to buy some new skis (well, don't have to be NEW--old models work just fine for me--sales are good :smile: ) and I need some help. I haven't hit the slopes in a couple years (my husband is military and we are currently stationed in Florida). When we're close to snow we ski whenever we can, but if we're not we are ususlly relegated to one trip a year.

I'm 50 years old and am not a very aggressive skier. I'm 5'6" and weigh around 130. I usually ski blues and single blacks (west coast standards) but I would love to get better and be able to go wherever I'd like. I do NOT ski mogles (bad knees).

Since we're in Florida I can't demo any skis and there is only one ski shop I found and it is quite some distance so y'alls expert advise would be most welcome as I will probably buy my skis online. Thanks so much!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome ArmyWife! Glad you found us!

There are a lot of gear heads on this forum who I'm sure would be happy to help.

My two cents, however: if you only ski once or twice a year, why not just rent when you get to the mountain? It'd give you a chance to try out different skis before you buy, and probably be more cost-effective, anyway. Plus, you wouldn't have to lug 'em on the plane with you. :smile:

tcarey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi Army Wife,
In full agreemenst with Ski Diva-rent a higher performance ski for the type of conditions you are skiing. All the companies make a good ski. I would suggest something not too long or stiff-somewhere in the 152-157 range in length. Where will you be skiing?

Terry

ArmyWife

Certified Ski Diva
That's a good suggestion, and probably the SMART thing to do. Unfortunately, I'm not the smartest person in the world and I want to buy some new skis! Lugging gear is nothing as the whole family (5 of us) has their own gear so we'll be lugging anyway.

I've been doing some research and I have some models I'm thinking about (K2 One luv and true luv, Attiva 5 star, Atomic Diva, Balanz B 11:M, Volkl AC3 --is there a women's version of this?--Oh Gosh there are so many that SOUND good--that's why I'm getting so confused! So many skis--so little time!

But you're right--I SHOULD rent. I just hate to stand in line and spend the money that I could put towards some new skis!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
ArmyWife said:
I've been doing some research and I have some models I'm thinking about (K2 One luv and true luv, Attiva 5 star, Atomic Diva, Balanz B 11:M, Volkl AC3 --is there a women's version of this?--Oh Gosh there are so many that SOUND good--that's why I'm getting so confused! So many skis--so little time!

But you're right--I SHOULD rent. I just hate to stand in line and spend the money that I could put towards some new skis!
Either rent or get a demo ski. The ski resort, at which my friends say I live, in the winter, lets you demo for the full day for 20.00. Thats a performance ski(if you choose) for the entire day, and first rate attention.

Now on to your short list:
K2 has some great skis: but if you're skiing on blacks, the one luv or true luv is likely a little too soft for your ability.
If you're going to stay in that line try out the lotta luv or the burnin luv(I just bought a burnin luv because I got a bargain, but I haven't skied it yet. Can't hardly wait).

The Atomic line: The Balanze 11 is great (also the same as the Metron 9), but the Atomic Diva, though I like the name and graphix, is a wimp of a ski.

The Volkl Attiva line: the 5 star is great. also consider the AC2,(some of the divas have that ski and really enjoy it) But the one I would demo is the NEW Attiva AC3! I'm really eager to find out what that is going to do. I think it's going to be a great addition to the attiva line.

Whew! Anything else?

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I knew you wouldn't let us down, Snowhot!
I'm a sick, sick woman.
I was going on and on, the poor girl couldn't get a word in edge ways!

ArmyWife

Certified Ski Diva
Wow! Thanks so much. You know, maybe I WILL just demo. I've just been wanting new skis for several years now but couldn't justify it while we were stationed in Florida. Now that we've planned this trip (Breckenridge) I decided to splurge. Besides, my husband's in the Middle East and I just need a pick-me-up!

I was curious about what y'all thought about length too, but I guess that really depends on the ski I choose. I was originally thinking 160 but now I'm leaning more towards 153 or so. What do ya think?

As to where we ski--hard to answer that one--wherever we can, I guess. We usually find ourselves stationed on the east coast, but we spent several years in Washington state (where we took up skiing). Our splurge of a ski trip is usually to Whistler but we thought we'd try Colorado this time. Last trip was in West Virginia.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
ArmyWife said:
I just need a pick-me-up!
And you deserve it!

I was curious about what y'all thought about length too, but I guess that really depends on the ski I choose. I was originally thinking 160 but now I'm leaning more towards 153 or so. What do ya think?
There are a lot of thoughts on length.
Our epic friends will suggest you go shorter, the TGR guys will say go longer. both will say fatter the better,(for the most part)
I think high 150's, or low 160's.
I have skis that range from 162-173cm in length. I weigh 130ish 5'6". I ski pretty aggressively so I tend to go a bit longer to keep up with the boyz.:o

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Another thought on the demo idea.
If you can find a slopside shop to demo. (I don't know if that is available to you at Breckenridge.)
You pay one price to demo skis and are able to switch up during the day. It will be a good opportunity for you to REALLY get an idea what will serve you and your skills best.
That can only be good!!!!:D

tcarey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Usually the shop that you are demoing from will take the money you spent to demo towards the purchase of the ski!!

Terry

Jilly

Staff member
I agree with SnowHot on the Atomics. You'll be over your weight limit with the B-11's and the Diva's were wimpy. I demo'd both too. I wasn't able to demo the Volkl's last year so I'm not up on them. I did demo the Rossi's, Salomon, Atomics, Nordica and Elan's women's skis. I liked the Salomon rush 10's or Siam 10's depending on where you want to ski. Rush is "front side" or groomed, Siam in all-terrain. My next choice was the Nordica's and I'll have to get my notes from home. Personally I skis on Rossi Z-5's 154 cm and I'm 5'5 with a CSIA level 2 instructors card.

ArmyWife

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks for the replies, everyone. You have made some great suggestions, but I think you all are MUCH better skiers than I. I primarily stay on the blues and easy blacks. (accept for the little places east coast where a blue is a green--and I feel like a queen on mulitple black diamonds :smile: )

The guy at the ski shop I roadtripped out to suggested the K2 One Love but you all said it is too soft. That surprised me as I read such good reviews on it.

I just checked with Breckenridge rentals and they only have K2 Apache Crossfire, Volkl Super Sport and Salomon Teneighty Gun for demos but surely they will have something else as time goes on. Or there is bound to be another rental place around there--this was just the resort's plan.

Well-we'll see what happens...but--Thanks so much. I do appreciate all the input.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
ArmyWife --

There are TONS of ski shops in Breckenridge. I'm sure the Chamber of Commerce has a web site where you can track them down. And one of them is sure to have the ski you decide to try.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
ARMY WIFE
Stick around,
We're likely to be a ton more fun when the snow starts falling from the sky!

Shellski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I bought my Burnin' Luvs in Breck last year, at Norway Haus in the main street. At the best price I found anywhere around Summit County or Vail, very good service too. If that's any help..

One of the K2 range would probably suit you very well, but demoing is a lot of fun.

I'm 5'5" and... ummm.. well covered, my Burnin's and Lottas are 160's.

eng_ch

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
HOw about one of teh HEad skis? Hot Thang maybe? I'm 5'6" and a little heavier than you and ski the Monster and the Fast Thang in 155/156

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I second the Heads. I have Head Monster iM70's. They're a few years old, but I still love 'em.

ArmyWife

Certified Ski Diva
I thought about the "Thang" skis but I'm not sure I can live with those graphics!!

I think I've decided what to do--thanks to y'all. I'll keep shopping around and if I find a pair of skis that I'm interested in (new or demo) at a really good price I'll buy, but if not I'll just demo when I get there. That takes the pressure off of trying to find something. I'm compiling a list of some pretty good suggestions from you guys so that has been a big help.The Volkl Attiva AC2 sounds like a likely candidate for one--and that was one I had never heard of before so I thank you. I think the Burnin Luv might have replaced the One love on my list as well (so you really think the one luvs are too soft huh??). Keep the suggestions coming!! They are most appreciated.

Thanks for the suggestions on the shops and Cof C in Breckenridge too. I willl definately stop in your forum from time to time. The only problem is I will be getting so jealous listening to everyone extoll their adventures on the slopes :mad: . But when I come home from our trip in Jan. I'll be right there with ya :D!!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Let us know what happens with your skis. And we expect a full trip report, too! :smile:

Best of luck.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna