• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Can you recommend a good ski for me?

Marigee

Angel Diva
I have Dynastar Exclusive Legends. I bought them last year when they went on sale. I really enjoyed skiing on them last spring in Colorado. I would like to buy another pair of skis - maybe the Volkl Attiva 4 star or the K2 One Luv.

Any other suggestions for a 5' 1 1/2", 108 lb. level 7 (or so) skier. I like to ski blacks and blues and blue bumps, but not black bumps. I occasionally ski in the trees. I will be skiing about 16 days out west this year - and about 10 days around the mid-atlantic (PA) and the east. If we have a good winter I might get in more time at local hills.

Thanks in advance for any help.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If I were you, I'd either get the Attiva S5 or the Attiva AC3.
All of these comparisons in the Attiva line:
S5-115/69/100
S4-114/68/99
AC3-118/76/104

The S4 will be a decent carver, and fun to play on, but in the long run, I think it may hold you back.
If you're skiing in the powder you described, I'd go for the wider of these options. They are all going to be good carvers, and I think they all tend to be on the forgiving side, so you won't be out of your element if you get into a 'situation'.(we've all been there!)

If you go to this page, and click on the 2006-2007 catalogue in the upper Right corner, it will take you to an option to download the new catalogue in pdf. https://www.volkl.com/ski/
Worth the look. Trust me!:D

Marigee

Angel Diva
Thanks for the info SnowHot. My Dynastars are 102 75 114, length 152, so I wanted something a little narrower in the waist. The Volkls certainly fit that bill.

I was little concerned that the S5 would be too much ski for me. It can be really hard to gage your own ability. I think if I got the Volkl I would probably get the 149 cm. length. That is another area where I have a hard time figuring out what I should get. Given that I am so light, and not the most agressive skier, I am usually concerned that I might get a ski that is too much for me.
I think women in general tend to underestimate their ability - are more modest, while many(not all) men are the opposite!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Marigee said:
Thanks for the info SnowHot. My Dynastars are 102 75 114, length 152, so I wanted something a little narrower in the waist. The Volkls certainly fit that bill.

I was little concerned that the S5 would be too much ski for me. It can be really hard to gage your own ability. I think if I got the Volkl I would probably get the 149 cm. length. That is another area where I have a hard time figuring out what I should get. Given that I am so light, and not the most agressive skier, I am usually concerned that I might get a ski that is too much for me.
I think women in general tend to underestimate their ability - are more modest, while many(not all) men are the opposite!
The attiva line is softer than the unisex skis,in general. My little sister has the Gamma 5 star. The Attiva S5 would have the same attributes but with improvments(if I'm not mistaken) has the IPT binding which will take the chatter out.
I think the Attiva S4 still has the motion rails, while the Attiva S5 has the IPT system.(IMO a better system)

My little sister is a good skier but hardly aggressive. She does very well on the Gamma 5 star 163 cm. I'd say 5'4", 130 ish(guessing). It is a very forgiving ski, but also lets you be aggressive if you feel the urge.

At a level 7, I think the S4 will hold you back. Get the S5!
I still like the new AC3 Attiva, but you are right, it is too close to the ski you already have.

tcarey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey Marigee,
I would definaltely look in to a demo day somewhere and try some of these skis out.Snowhot has some good suggestions here.The exclusive legend that you have is a good all mountain ski. So try a bunch of different ski's out,maybe with a focus of a narrower waist.And if you can going see if you can demo something under 150. Ski diva has posted some demos days in another thread.Check it out!

Terry

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you for pointing that out Terry!
I can't say enough about demo's.
There can be so much difference between to skis, which seem to be similar in shape. You really should demo if you have the chance.

I hope you do get that chance.

Marigee

Angel Diva
Thanks for the suggestions. I have a difficult time finding any demos under 150 cm. Last year when I demoed all the skis were 152, 153 or 154 cm.

I think I would be better off with a ski in the 146 cm - 150 cm range because of my height and weight but at ski shops they often tell me that a few cm don't matter.

Am I right - or are the shops correct. Or does size depend on the ski.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Marigee, whatever you're comfortable with is what you should use. Demo a lot, and you'll find out easily enough. My skis are probably longer than they should be. I'm your height and weight and my skis are 156 (Head Monster iM 70's) because that was the shortest length I could get, and I liked them a lot. Haven't had any trouble skiing with them, either. So I guess what I'm trying to say is this: try a lot of different skis in a lot of different lengths, and get the one you feel most comfortable with.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Remember that the measurement is not always from a standard point on the skis, and a 150 cm in one ski may be different than another. The side cut of the ski and core material may also make a difference in performance, so you may like a ski longer or shorter than you think.
Give it a whirl!
Marigee said:
Thanks for the suggestions. I have a difficult time finding any demos under 150 cm. Last year when I demoed all the skis were 152, 153 or 154 cm.

I think I would be better off with a ski in the 146 cm - 150 cm range because of my height and weight but at ski shops they often tell me that a few cm don't matter.

Am I right - or are the shops correct. Or does size depend on the ski.

Marigee

Angel Diva
THanks for all the help! I am excited for ski season to start. It will be hard to wait!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly