• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Can you imagine skiing during an earthquake?

Jenny

Angel Diva
That's just a whole lot of wrong! As if keeping my balance on my own isn't hard enough sometimes!

Assume if there was backcountry that it could start an avalanche, too.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Assume if there was backcountry that it could start an avalanche, too.
My understanding is that the mountains in Australia have more in common with the mid-Atlantic hills and northeast mountains than the Rockies. There is backcountry but it's relatively mellow. Not at all like New Zealand where there is hell skiing.

Certainly wasn't what the few folks who made it to Buller expected. With so many lockdowns with different rules by state, it's been a very rough season for ski resorts in Australia.

Christy

Angel Diva
I wonder how much "feedback" they got. It wasn't clear to me they could tell. Do we know what the magnitude was?

I wonder if there were avalanches. I've always thought about what could happen if I was caught in a quake while hiking. Rockfall, for example, either on me or blocking the trail or road.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I heard it was a 5.8, but I'm not sure what it measured at the ski area, 29 miles away.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Melbourne is in the state of Victoria. Laurie Blampied is the GM of Mt. Buller, an independent ski resort.

" . . .
Laurie Blampied, 66, who manages a ski resort near the epicenter of the quake, said he was surprised by the quake’s duration and strength. He fled the building to be safe. The ski resort also shut down to allow inspections for damage, before resuming operations after about an hour, Mr. Blampied said.
. . ."

August 10, 2021

newboots

Angel Diva
I was imagining we would see an avalanche before I saw the video. It did seem that during the quake, some of the skiers stopped an gathered for a minute or two.

I wonder what it would feel like?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Have you had one skiing? I’ve only been to CA once, and was lucky enough not to experience any then. Haha I’d prefer to keep it that way. :goodluck:
No not skiing but both Tahoe and Mammoth have had earthquakes. I was born and raised in SF and we had earthquake drills ..... I was in SC for the BIG earthquake in 1989 and was scared s**tless.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Did you know right away? I can imagine thinking it was a problem with my ski, the way that people driving think they have a flat tire during an earthquake.
It did feel like an earthquake, and everyone else around was confirming by their reactions. But I don't think grasped it on my own right away.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think I would assume it was me first as well! I'm terrible at noticing earthquakes despite having lived in Wellington where small tremors are reasonably frequent - I was once in a room with a friend who was like "hang on, is that an earthquake?" (It was...around a 3.5 I think...) and couldn't really feel anything. I have slept through quite a few that woke people up. Glad it hasn't happened somewhere like Ruapehu where rather than an earthquake being the only problem, it would probably be a volcanic eruption or lahar...

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
No not skiing but both Tahoe and Mammoth have had earthquakes. I was born and raised in SF and we had earthquake drills ..... I was in SC for the BIG earthquake in 1989 and was scared s**tless.
My roommate in grad school was from LA, and she had what I think was PTSD from the 1994 Northridge quake. (At the time, I don’t think society had as good a grasp on PTSD, sadly)

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
My roommate in grad school was from LA, and she had what I think was PTSD from the 1994 Northridge quake. (At the time, I don’t think society had as good a grasp on PTSD, sadly)
That quake was another huge one. BF's daughter was at UCLA then and I remember the terrified phone call!

Christy

Angel Diva
Some people are really affected by them. I've met people that planned to move away after certain earthquakes here. The unpredictability of it is just too much for them. For the biggest one I've been in (6.8) I was in a basement classroom and some people absolutely panicked--they got up and tore out of the building, or curled into a fetal position under a desk, while the rest of us just sat there and talked about how we were having an earthquake.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly