• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Cameras when skiing

MissySki

Angel Diva
@MissySki I don't know if I posted about Creative Live before but they have some great photography classes. (I LOVED the Landscape Photography by John Greengo who is a respected local photography teacher. He teaches a fundamentals too). I looked to see if they had a class to help you choose. It seems like they do.
https://www.creativelive.com/class/camera-buyers-guide-john-greengo

Or if you get the A6000, they have a class on how to use it. I would count on wanting either a book or class to teach yourself how to use your specific camera. The manual that comes with it will not be enough (there's actually an industry where people write whole books about using specific cameras--the manuals are famously and grossly inadequate).

https://www.creativelive.com/class/sony-a6000-fast-start-john-greengo?via=autocomplete

Thank you, I will DEFINITELY look into these classes!!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Sooooo I finally pulled the trigger on my camera today!!! Yesterday I was still in between the Sony A6100 and A6400, but leaned toward the A6100 since it was $300 cheaper for the body and identical 2 lens kit. I was still waffling back and forth though, and decided to sleep on it one more night.. Then today I went back online and found that everywhere had an additional $200 instant rebate for the A6100, but nothing for the A6400. Now that the price difference increased to $500 there was no more waffling, and I bought it immediately! I’m super excited!! Hooefully it’ll come in by the end of this week, but shipping anything has been hit or miss right now so we’ll see. :yahoo:

MissySki

Angel Diva
Nice! And what a perfect time to take up a new hobby like this.

I think a creative outlet is just what I need! Plus I'll have time to do some of those online classes you recommended. I'm sure I will 100% benefit from the fundamentals class since I'm pretty much starting from square one. I'm also hoping the A6000 class might still be applicable to the A6100 since it's the direct replacement and I think it should be very similar to use.

UtahDesert

Certified Ski Diva
Since you did get the Sony, I'll speak out in defense of the Sony interface. It may be complicated, but you'll get used to it, and it allows you to do a good deal of customization. So once you've played around with it for a while and figured out what settings you'll want to change frequently, sit down with it and customize it to your liking.

MissySki

Angel Diva
So my camera shipped today, and when I checked the tracking info it specifies that a signature will be required. Well, I certainly didn’t anticipate that, although it makes sense. Anyone have to sign for a package from UPS recently? I’m thinking I’ll need to go to the door with mask and gloves on.. I still don’t like the idea of having to get that close to someone. Some of the UPS drivers have been wearing masks when I’ve seen them walk up from the window, Fedex and Amazon have not. Hoping my UPS guy will continue to do so.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So my camera shipped today, and when I checked the tracking info it specifies that a signature will be required. Well, I certainly didn’t anticipate that, although it makes sense. Anyone have to sign for a package from UPS recently? I’m thinking I’ll need to go to the door with mask and gloves on.. I still don’t like the idea of having to get that close to someone. Some of the UPS drivers have been wearing masks when I’ve seen them walk up from the window, Fedex and Amazon have not. Hoping my UPS guy will continue to do so.
UPS sent me a change of policy that basically says you won't actually be signing something. I'll see if I can find that. I might have tossed it though. ...
... It still says you'll need to be available when they arrive and somehow display government issued ID. I'm guessing you can show it to them through a window. Then let it sit on your step or just pull it into your foyer to "age" a while. I've got dates marked in each box as to when it was received. I give it three days, then I open it.

Last edited:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I've been opening boxes, taking stuff out, putting empty cardboard boxes on my back patio to sit for a few days, back in the house and wash my hands, wipe down the door knob (sometimes) ....
and hoping for the best. Also have been opening mail and then washing my hands... Everyone has their own comfort level. I have NOT been to a grocery store in over a month.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I received a Fedex package last week that required a signature, and the delivery guy signed it himself.

Interesting! My package is supposed to arrive today sometime. My office window looks out to the front yard, so I’ll hopefully spot him before he’s too close. I have my mask and gloves close by and figure I’ll open my door but leave my glass storm door closed and then take his queue on how to proceed.

gingerjess

Angel Diva
Interesting! My package is supposed to arrive today sometime. My office window looks out to the front yard, so I’ll hopefully spot him before he’s too close. I have my mask and gloves close by and figure I’ll open my door but leave my glass storm door closed and then take his queue on how to proceed.

Excited to see what you do with it once it's in your hands! I've been taking my Pentax on walks when I go out and really enjoying it.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Excited to see what you do with it once it's in your hands! I've been taking my Pentax on walks when I go out and really enjoying it.

I’m the person in the beginner photography groups on Facebook who thinks everyone’s pictures look amazing.. Then the people who apparently know what to look for come in and give all of the constructive criticism.. lol. I’m not sure that bodes well for my having a discerning eye for photography, but hopefully it’ll come along with some instruction and practice.

My package has arrived, and is now quarantined to decontaminate.. It was packaged and shipped in New York or New Jersey, and was only in transit for a day, so I think it’s all going to have to sit for a bit before I want to touch even the interior stuff unfortunately. The UPS guy had no PPE on, but also didn’t have me sign which was good. I was at my door with it cracked open to hear him (wearing my own mask and gloves), and he just left it on the porch after asking if I was the name on the package.

Last edited:

MissySki

Angel Diva
@MissySki I don't know if I posted about Creative Live before but they have some great photography classes. (I LOVED the Landscape Photography by John Greengo who is a respected local photography teacher. He teaches a fundamentals too). I looked to see if they had a class to help you choose. It seems like they do.
https://www.creativelive.com/class/camera-buyers-guide-john-greengo

Or if you get the A6000, they have a class on how to use it. I would count on wanting either a book or class to teach yourself how to use your specific camera. The manual that comes with it will not be enough (there's actually an industry where people write whole books about using specific cameras--the manuals are famously and grossly inadequate).

https://www.creativelive.com/class/sony-a6000-fast-start-john-greengo?via=autocomplete

The fundamentals class is streaming for free this Friday. Have you done a free one before, or only purchased? Seems worth it to try and catch it free since it's $130. Though it looks like a lot of material to cover! I'm thinking it'll just end up making me want to buy it if it's good so I can do it at my own speed versus all in one day. :smile: Might as well start with the free though, especially because I have a half day on Fridays right now, and it happens to start at 12pm my time.

Christy

Angel Diva
I haven't, but the landscape photography class I took from them was with that instructor (John Greengo), and I thought he was great. But--are they streaming all 107 lessons for free over those two days? That sounds overwhelming! Hopefully you can pop in and out. Maybe I will see if I can do that too--I bet there is plenty I could use a refresher on.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I haven't, but the landscape photography class I took from them was with that instructor (John Greengo), and I thought he was great. But--are they streaming all 107 lessons for free over those two days? That sounds overwhelming! Hopefully you can pop in and out. Maybe I will see if I can do that too--I bet there is plenty I could use a refresher on.

Exactly, there is no way anyone can take all of that in during such a short time! Lol

MissySki

Angel Diva
Well, I think I'm just going to buy the class, or a subscription for a year to be able to do other classes too. The free live version started at 12pm, but I'm not done working and already feel overwhelmed thinking about trying to stuff a ton of information into 2 days haha. I assume this is why they do it that way! I need to be able to unwind and pay attention, and at the moment my head is in a zillion different places after a morning full of Zoom meetings. Literally 3.5 hours of them back to back..

SqueakySnow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Creative Live classes are good but they are ridiculously long. I guess they're trying to cover every possible piece of info, but that can cause some of the key basics to get lost in the shuffle. To me, the most important basic technical concept every photographer needs to understand, in order to make the image they want, is the exposure triangle. Exposure is how you control your capture of light, and this is the basis for all photography. Once you understand this, and how to adjust these settings on your camera, you can shift focus to the art of the image. The three camera settings you use to control light are Aperture, Shutter Speed, and ISO. As in life, each has a benefit and a drawback so these choices affect your final image. The good news is, the way you leverage each trade-off is part of your artistic vision ;)

In a nutshell:

Aperture – the hole in your lens that lets light through to the sensor while the shutter is open
Bigger hole = more light, but fewer things in focus (ie. a shallow depth of field)
Smaller hole = less light, but more things in focus (ie. bigger depth of field)
The annoying thing about aperture is the smaller the number, the bigger the hole. This, apparently, makes sense to advanced mathematicians ;)
Simplify this choice to how much of your image you want in focus (ie. depth of field)

Shutter Speed – how long your camera opens to expose the sensor to light
Slower shutter = more light, but blurs more motion (including the motion generated by your hands as you operate the camera)
Faster shutter = less light, but freezes more motion
Simplify this choice to how sharp you want your subject to be

ISO – how much light your sensor can detect and capture
More sensitive = more light, but grainier image
Less sensitive = less light, but sharper image
Simplify this choice to overall image graininess. This is usually where I make my sacrifice because, in my opinion, it does the least damage to the intent of the image.

Clear as mud, right?

Here's a handy diagram, visuals are our friend:

exposuretrianglediagram.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly