• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Calling UT-skiing Divas: LCC/BCC or Ogden 3/9-10? (details within)

Where to stay in UT 3/8-3/11?

• Ogden

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Midvale

• Other

• Total voters

linesout

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi Divas! I am hoping you can help me decide where to take my friend in Utah this weekend. I got three hotels to hedge for conditions, and as it happens, conditions look great everywhere! I cancelled the PCMR-area hotel today because a) I've skied there before and b) the lift tickets are more expensive, but am left with one in Midvale and one in Ogden. So, based on the following criteria, can you help narrow the field further?

1. Cost - last I checked it looks like Brighton 94, PowMow 88, Solitude 119, Snowbasin 135, Snowbird 135, and we can't do Alta or DV b/c friend snowboards. Also, if there are any other mountains that fit the criteria below I'm open to hearing about them!
2. Crowds - if we're flying from NYC to Utah, I want to spend more time on the mountain than in lift lines, and ideally not share the trail with a ton of folks just getting their ski legs. Also, are there any big events that would increase traffic at any of these mountains this coming weekend?
3. Friend is an intermediate, and I'm not looking for crazy steeps or chutes. I love trees though (have heard Brighton is good for this)
4. Weird request but, access to the pro shop? I'm testing out new boots and have a feeling I might need to get rentals/demo skis to alternate my setup with one that doesn't make my feet go numb, so it'd be good if I can go switch out without losing too much time.
5. Points for apres - I know Park City is the best for this, but since our hotels are at the mouth of the canyon and in Ogden it'd be nice to have access to some fun spots on the mountain after a day of shredding!
6. General mountain setup/navigation - is it easy to get around, is it hard to get to and from parking, etc.

We are so excited, I know we'll have fun wherever we end up, but hoping your expertise will help put us over the edge!

marzNC

Angel Diva
I am hoping you can help me decide where to take my friend in Utah this weekend. I got three hotels to hedge for conditions, and as it happens, conditions look great everywhere! I cancelled the PCMR-area hotel today because a) I've skied there before and b) the lift tickets are more expensive, but am left with one in Midvale and one in Ogden. So, based on the following criteria, can you help narrow the field further?
How many ski days? Any possibility of moving between Midvale and Ogden? It's not too bad of a day trip from SLC to Ogden but wouldn't want to do it for more than one day. For any weekend, my guess is that PowMow and Snowbasin are less crowded. Note that PowMow limits the number of day tickets so good to buy them online at least the day before.

1. Cost - last I checked it looks like Brighton 94, PowMow 88, Solitude 119, Snowbasin 135, Snowbird 135, and we can't do Alta or DV b/c friend snowboards. Also, if there are any other mountains that fit the criteria below I'm open to hearing about them!
Are you checking the posted day ticket prices? Or Liftopia? In SLC, can also buy discounted lift tickets at some ski shops. We got them at the shop at the base of LCC when staying in SLC and doing a day trip to Snowbasin. But I haven't checked prices lately since I have been using the MCP.

6. General mountain setup/navigation - is it easy to get around, is it hard to get to and from parking, etc.
Here's info about Snowbird. I'm one of the insiders who provided input. Scroll down to get to the tabs for Lodging and Terrain.
https://www.snowpak.com/utah/salt-lake-city/snowbird

4. Weird request but, access to the pro shop? I'm testing out new boots and have a feeling I might need to get rentals/demo skis to alternate my setup with one that doesn't make my feet go numb, so it'd be good if I can go switch out without losing too much time.
PowMow and Snowbasin have good ski shops at the base. Not too much selection for demo skis at PowMow though. Snowbird has more than one ski shop at the main base building next to the Tram Deck.

3. Friend is an intermediate, and I'm not looking for crazy steeps or chutes. I love trees though (have heard Brighton is good for this)
Solitude and/or Brighton sounds like a good fit for you and your friend. Are you renting a car? Might consider the UTA Ski Bus. Have heard traffic in BCC has increased this season between Ikon passes and good snow. Definitely pays to arrive early (an hour before lifts open) to avoid any issues for parking.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Snowbasin is having a demo day this weekend to benefit their adaptive sports program. I think it's $20 to demo all day, as many skis as you want (it's frowned upon to take a pair out all day.)

That being said, hard to say because this first storm is coming in warm, which tends to=rain at lower resorts like Basin, or at the very least, dense, not-quite-Utah powder. The Cottonwood resorts always fare better in warmer storms. The weekend storm coming in=won't hedge bets that it will pan out. The weather here is as unpredictable as any place I've lived (I've lived all over the country.)

Lack of crowds=Powder Mountain hands down.

IF you decide to hit Basin, apres' ski is non-existent, but Ogden has some decent places to eat. If you want a bar scene, it's slim pickings here, however :laughter:

linesout

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Super helpful @marzNC and @contesstant! Taking this into account I think I'll keep the Midvale hotel.

Out of Brighton, Solitude and Snowbird, which would you say is the best bet for Saturday in terms of lower amounts of people? I know it'll be slammed everywhere but I'm just wondering if things like overall size of the resort (which would keep people more spread around the mountain) is balanced by its popularity (varied terrain attracts more people). I'm guessing Brighton might be marginally less crowded?

There's so much snow in the forecast right now that I'm salivating - hope that doesn't jinx it. SO EXCITED!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Cottonwoods resorts are definitely on track to receive a LOT more snow than Snowbasin. I can't answer your question on crowds. I've been hearing the Solitude has gotten stupid busy with the Ikon pass. I think Snowbird will be a disaster crowd-wise if we get as much snow as is forecast. I have no idea about Brighton.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Out of Brighton, Solitude and Snowbird, which would you say is the best bet for Saturday in terms of lower amounts of people? I know it'll be slammed everywhere but I'm just wondering if things like overall size of the resort (which would keep people more spread around the mountain) is balanced by its popularity (varied terrain attracts more people). I'm guessing Brighton might be marginally less crowded?
Nope, Brighton is pretty crowded on Saturdays because that when locals with season passes there go skiing.

Used to be that Solitude . . . was where you could find relative solitude on weeekend. With the lift improvements in recent years plus Ikon this season, there have been lots of comments of too many people.

Note that Brighton has lights on selected trails. So in theory could use the method I've used at my home mountain when doing a long weekend with kids. Arrive early, ski all morning, the figure out something to do for a long lunch break, and then go skiing starting mid-afternoon until everything is more than ready to be done skiing for the day.

As for Snowbird on a Sat, makes a big difference whether or not Mineral Basin is open. If everyone is stuck on the front side due to low visibility from fog, clouds, or snow in the Basin, then obviously could have some serious lift lines. Note that the Baby Thunder lift has more than beginner/intermediate trails. Can be good fun a day or two after a powder storm because those blacks aren't skied by advanced skiers much at all. I spent a day just on Baby Thunder during a blizzard as an intermediate years ago and had a good time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly