• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Calf/Thigh Burn with new boots

SnowflakeADK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi everyone. I have been lurking around for awhile absorbing all the incredible info this group offers. This is such a great place! Thank you! I'll give alittle background on myself before getting to the issue.

I'm 37, 5'4ish, 175 lbs. Into my 3rd season of skiing after an 18 year hiatus. (only skiied 2-3 seasons as a teen) This year I have finally taken a couple of lessons to iron out bad self taught techniques/bad habits. Based on the ability scale i would place myself at a 6/7. My last instructor labeled me as an "advanced intermediate".

Ok...here's my issue. I have just purchased new boots...Tecnica V8. Old boots (Atomic B90) were a size and a half too big! :eek: Too much slopping around and heels would rarely stay down. New boots fit like a glove. :smile: HOWEVER, on the two days that I've skiied in these new beauties I've had calf and thigh burn that I wasn't experiencing with older boots. I'm talking CRIPPLING on my second day. I understand quad burn usually comes from backseat driving of which I was doing until taking the lessons and essentially fixing the problem with the exception of an occasional "slip". Could this have something to do with the forward cuff alignment of the boot? BTW I do already have a small heel wedge in each boot...skinny heel which NO boot seems to fit. Any help/advice would be appreciated. I do intend on going to the shop for a fix. I would like to have an idea of what the issue may be.

Thanks for your patience w/ this very long winded post and any suggestions you may have.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Welcome!!!
That sounds like you have some toe box issues.
Often when your toes are cramped, it can cause you to curl them and cause calf cramping.
Another thing it could be is a pinched achilles.

I'm guessing its the toe box area.
Have your boot guy check it out and see if he can make more toe room for you.

IF you have thermo liners, then have him reheat them with neoprene toe caps so you have natural room in the liner.

SnowflakeADK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
SnoHot..
Thanks for the speedy reply and suggestion. That's something I wouldn't have ever thought of as I haven't felt like my toes were cramped since I can wiggle them up and down a bit and my toes pull off the front of the boot when I flex.
I don't believe I have the thermo liners...they are the ultra fit if that means anything to you.

It's nice to go to the boot guy w/ some ideas of whats going on. I have been disenchanted w/ the whole process. Have been to every shop in my area in search of good fitting boots and someone who doesn't want to put me into the most beginerish frillyest equipt possible. Someone who listens to my issues takes them seriously and doesn't look bored. I need a boot therapist. lol

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The funny thing is that I've had the best experience with my boot fitting, but my husband was disenchanted. He really hated the move into new boots, and needed some work to make them work.

The boot fitter at our local shop seems to hold me in high regard when it comes to gear so he's eager to listen and accommodate.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna