• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

CA issues COVID guidelines for ski resorts

SkiBabyMD

Certified Ski Diva
https://www.sfgate.com/coronavirus/...MLGOL7ShFpFaTFgzq0TlRie_lyAoeAQIUHXQ2iVoHzLaM

"California ski resorts can no longer sell day-of ski tickets and must limit capacity on the mountain, according to new COVID guidance for ski resorts released Tuesday evening by state public health officials. Skiers and snowboarders must have a season pass, advanced reservation or a pre-purchased lift ticket to access resorts. Parking lots must also be limited to passholders or visitors who have a pre-purchased ticket or reservation."

Good news? As coronavirus cases accelerate, the new guidelines allow for ski resorts to continue operations in all tiers of the state’s COVID blueprint, so long as businesses make specific modifications.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Vail's meticulous planning and reservation system is looking pretty smart right now.
Vail Resorts learned a great deal about what worked, and what didn't, in Australia back in June and into mid-July as that snow season got underway. Obviously started planning for the N. American season in July.

The irony is that the exec who is now in charge of Australia is an American who hasn't ever been to Perisher. That was the only VR resort that stayed open all season. He was a ski instructor at the competitor, Thredbo, for one winter long ago. The plan was for him to spend time in Australia after the 2019-20 N. American season was over. But with the shut down in March as the pandemic took hold on every continent, he didn't go.

SkiBabyMD

Certified Ski Diva
DH just told me that Mammoth is invoking the CA "Stay at Home" orders. All lodging is canceled with no new bookings until at least Dec 26.

https://www.mammothmountain.com/covid

1607207745734.png

Mammoth is in Southern California Region which hit 13.1% today; 15% is the cutoff. We're in Tahoe which is in Greater Sacramento Region which is at 21%.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
DH just told me that Mammoth is invoking the CA "Stay at Home" orders. All lodging is canceled with no new bookings until at least Dec 26.

https://www.mammothmountain.com/covid

View attachment 14269

Mammoth is in Southern California Region which hit 13.1% today. We're in Tahoe which is in Greater Sacramento Region which is at 21%.
Just got an email from Mammoth about half an hour ago. Isn't SF one of the counties now that are "sheltering in place?"

gingerjess

Angel Diva
Just got an email from Mammoth about half an hour ago. Isn't SF one of the counties now that are "sheltering in place?"

Not yet—I think SF just announced a coalition with other Bay Area counties for consistent regulation when the stay-at-home order comes into effect. Unfortunately I think I'll have to cancel my Heavenly trip for next week; infections are surging too much and I don't want to either bring COVID with me or (if I mess up while skiing) take a hospital bed that El Dorado County needs for its own.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Not yet—I think SF just announced a coalition with other Bay Area counties for consistent regulation when the stay-at-home order comes into effect. Unfortunately I think I'll have to cancel my Heavenly trip for next week; infections are surging too much and I don't want to either bring COVID with me or (if I mess up while skiing) take a hospital bed that El Dorado County needs for its own.
Yeah been watching the news that 6 counties and 1 city (Berkeley) were going to enforce before it is actually an order from the State. Santa Cruz is still deciding although our cases have surged (a month ago 200 active, now over 1200)..
Oh your Heavenly trip is next week - tough one. I am supposed to go and stay at a friend's place in Tahoe City and ski Northstar Dec 12 -16 but don't know. I certainly don't want to be part of the problem.

gingerjess

Angel Diva
I am supposed to go and stay at a friend's place in Tahoe City and ski Northstar Dec 12 -16 but don't know. I certainly don't want to be part of the problem.

Yeah... I think I probably could've come up with a way to justify it "by the book"... but I think possibly a lot of the mess we're in at the moment is from people justifying actions that are right on the edge of being fine.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Yeah... I think I probably could've come up with a way to justify it "by the book"... but I think possibly a lot of the mess we're in at the moment is from people justifying actions that are right on the edge of being fine.
Right but saw on local news the governor listed skiing as one of the approved/suggested outdoor things to do. And he is from the Bay Area so knows its a 4 hour drive give or take (less for you, more for me).

SkiBabyMD

Certified Ski Diva

SF Bay Area pulled the trigger early to prevent hitting 15% ICU bed capacity as they believe that's too low (and they're right!). Whether the Bay Area folks "Stay at Home" or drive up to ski is a different question all together.

gingerjess

Angel Diva
Right but saw on local news the governor listed skiing as one of the approved/suggested outdoor things to do. And he is from the Bay Area so knows its a 4 hour drive give or take (less for you, more for me).

Yes... I think if I lived a bit closer and was thinking about a day trip it'd be something else... but the state COVID site says "don't drive more than 2-3 hours", which the distance from here to Tahoe is right at the top end of, and then there's lodging...

I really want to convince myself it's okay, but I can't quite get there.

SkiBabyMD

Certified Ski Diva

We moved to Tahoe this year for distance "everything". You're not missing much by skipping your trip next week. There's little coverage.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
We moved to Tahoe this year for distance "everything". You're not missing much by skipping your trip next week. There's little coverage.
Oh you’re in Tahoe? N* does a pretty good job of making snow as does Heavenly. Yeah tough decisions.

SierraLuLu

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

https://www.mammothmountain.com/

We just cancelled a trip to Mammoth next week, our first of the season, and we had booked our lodging at one of the Mountain’s resorts.

It makes me a bit sad to cancel our first trip of the season, but if staying home now means infection rates will go down or stabilize in the near future, I’m all for it.

I wonder what the mountain staying open, but all lodging being cancelled, will mean for Ikon’s refund policy. We might not get any money back, but any non-locals will be prohibited from accessing it for big stretches of the season.

SkiBabyMD

Certified Ski Diva
I wonder what the mountain staying open, but all lodging being cancelled, will mean for Ikon’s refund policy. We might not get any money back, but any non-locals will be prohibited from accessing it for big stretches of the season.

Mountain is still open, so no refunds :(

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Conjecture at Mammoth is that they will remain open and will even open the Canyon side on Dec.18. I decry the fact that they are most likely doing this to avoid refunding IKON pass holders. But I applaud the fact that they are continuing to groom and make snow as usual, and even proceeding with trying to open additional lifts and runs.

It's been icy and rocky and so far we're not missing much. But there are a couple of storms coming in this week. Let's hope that by the end of December the Covid numbers will decrease and the base depth will increase.
And the ski season will proceed in a somewhat normal fashion in the New Year. And that our lives may also approach a better version of Normal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly