• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Buying new skis help needed

Sheffsnow91

Diva in Training
First of all hello, this is my first post! I am hoping I might be able to get some advice/insight to help with my next ski purchase. Apologies if it becomes a bit of an essay...

A little bit about me: I am 28 and have been skiing for about 22 years... With a small gap in which I briefly became a snowboarder. These days I ski for around 2/3 weeks total each year - living in the UK I have to make do with trips to the alps as often as I can!

When I was younger I made weekly trips to the local indoor slope and skied a lot more park. Now I like to ski the whole mountain and when I get the chance I enjoy going off the trails and finding some powder. I would say I am quite a relaxed and playful skier but as I ski mainly with men I do find myself needing to ski more aggressively to keep up! I am happy to go down any slope and I am looking to gain more confident in the bumps and off piste.

At the moment I ski K2 missdemeanors from 2010 and I do love the playfulness of them but think it is time for an upgrade. They are definitely starting to look past their best! I know I want a twin-tip ski, as I like to ski switch and still enjoy nipping through the park from time to time, but I am looking for something a little less park specific - if that makes sense. Doing my research I have also decided I would like a wider ski, as my K2s do let me down in powder.

At the moment I am thinking about the Armada ARW 96 or black crows captis birdie. I tried out the 18/19 black crows last year in val d'isere and did enjoy them but wondered if the armadas might be a bit more of what I am after.

Would love to hear if anyone has tried either of the skis and their experiences, also if anyone has any suggestions of other skis that might fit the bill I would love to hear them. I am 48kg (105lb) and 5ft5 (165 cm) and was considering 163cm if I do choose the armadas!

Thanks in advance

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I own a pair of black crows for touring. Nice and light, but I would probably go for the Armadas. 96 underfoot seems like a good compromise. I ski my 95s, a volkl mantra, in a lot of conditions but prefer narrower like an 88 when I am going fast on groomers.

I would stay away from park specific if you plan on doing any carving at speed.

If the ski you buy is more powder focused, tip and tail may be softer, if not then the length seems ok as long as you can really flex it once on edge.

Wish I knew those skis better. Can you demo them both on a hardback day? That's how I like to test.

Sheffsnow91

Diva in Training
Thanks so much for the reply! I thought the armadas would be a good all over ski being 96 underfoot. I don't tend to do too much speedy carving and have read they are good in lots of different conditions - a nice upgrade from the K2s!

I wish I could demo them but would likely have to order online, none of the ski shops nearby stock them!

elemmac

Angel Diva
I haven't been on the Black Crows, but have demoed the Armada ARV 96 a few years ago (and don't think they've changed since). They're a real fun ski, and sound exactly like what you're looking for. They're a bit wide for a park ski, but make an excellent all-mountain freestyle ripper. If you're looking for something with a decent amount more "umph", try the Armada ARV 96Ti. It's basically the same ski as the ARW, but with two sheets of Titanial, stablizing the ski, dampening vibrations, and creating a smoother ride through chop and crud. However, it does have quite a bit more stiffness than your current Missdemeanor.

Another ski I'd entertain is the Volkl Revolt 95, probably a bit more park oriented than the ARV, but definitely a solid all-mountain freestyle ski. One more to consider would be the Atomic Bent Chetler 100. The BC is more "backcountry freestyle" oriented than the other two...suitable for the occasional park lap, but really thrives in the off-piste terrain.

Another option you could go for would be keep your current K2's for when you're feeling like it's going to be a day spent mostly in the park, then pick up a second pair that's a bit more all-mountain/freeride oriented....which that opens up a lot of different ski possibilities.

Sheffsnow91

Diva in Training
Thanks so much, given me more to think about! Unfortunately my missdemeanors are a bit damaged after years of use so it will be a case of retirement for them.

I think all mountain freestyle is what I am looking for, I rarely spend days in the park anymore - getting older has made me more fearful of falling on rails!

elemmac

Angel Diva
Understandable on the rails, and good for you for it taking that long to gain that fear. I developed a fear of rails the first time I was on them at about age 14 (bashed up both shins pretty good)...decided they're not for me. HA!

One more thing to think about in the all-mountain freestyle arena, would be the mount point. Most skis in that category will come with multiple recommended lines. Normally there's a "center" mark, that's really at the center of a the ski (very park oriented) and an "all-mountain" mount point...which is set back a bit and will float better and give a bit extra stability at higher speeds. If the ski only gives one recommended point, talk with the shop that's doing the work for recommendations based on how you'll be using the ski.

Analisa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’m not sure how easy they are to find in the UK, but the ON3P Jessie’s sound right up your alley. Full twin tip, super maneuverable mount point at -4cm from center, but a nice & stable flex.

Mountainerd

Diva in Training
If you're already looking at Black Crows skis you might want to check out the Camox birdie. They're 96 underfoot, twin tip, super turny and fun, described as an all mountain ski for a park oriented skier. They're my daily driver ski in Mammoth and are great for soft snow and off-piste. I use them as a touring ski as well in the Sierra and they are just so much fun in powder and handle crud and variable snow really well, very stable and maneuverable.

Sheffsnow91

Diva in Training
I’m not sure how easy they are to find in the UK, but the ON3P Jessie’s sound right up your alley. Full twin tip, super maneuverable mount point at -4cm from center, but a nice & stable flex.

Just had a look at them and they do look right up my street! Time to do some investigating

Sheffsnow91

Diva in Training
If you're already looking at Black Crows skis you might want to check out the Camox birdie. They're 96 underfoot, twin tip, super turny and fun, described as an all mountain ski for a park oriented skier. They're my daily driver ski in Mammoth and are great for soft snow and off-piste. I use them as a touring ski as well in the Sierra and they are just so much fun in powder and handle crud and variable snow really well, very stable and maneuverable.

I had looked at these as a better option than the captis - just being wider and more stable in variable conditions... Another one to add to the mix!

Analisa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Sheffsnow91 - are you looking for something with a more centered mount point or more traditional? I have the Atris Birdies (basically a wider version of the Camox) and they're super fun, but they're mounted at around -7 or -8. I think the Captis is -6, but friends who use it mostly in the mark go with -4. Not sure if the same adjustment feels the same on the Camox/Atris since their flex patterns are different.

Also - totally should've mentioned the Bent Chetler 100. Technically a partial twin, but friends have been able to ride switch on it without issue. 3 recommended mount points, and comes down to a 164. Faction CT or Prodigy series also checks all the boxes. And likewise for the Rossignol Black Ops 98w.

racetiger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have On3p Jessie 88s. They are a blast and carve well in softer snow but I have trouble with icy spots on really cold days. It doesnt help that they came to me with dull edges underfoot.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
The 2020 K2 skis are a lot different than your 2010 skis - the ones I demo’ed are super playful fun and floaty. I wouldn’t rule them out and definitely try them if you are looking for playful. However they’re not called missdemeanors anymore, I did a review here when I demo’ed -

For skis that rip and are fun in powder, I like Rossi sky 7, elan ripstick 94W and the K2s as well as the Fischer Ranger 98W (pick a longer length bc rocker).

Not familiar with your picks but I did test an Armada based on a recommendation here - and I didn’t think it was fun unfortunately.

I have been wanting to try the black crows forever. There is a more freestyle friendly model available that’s not mentioned here. It’s narrower. I forget the name but AFAIK the camox birdie would be better for powder based on everything I read up on and also heard about from people who have skied them -

echo_VT

Angel Diva
One more: atomic vantage mid-90 something for width, women’s. They are fun and fast and floaty as well. They weren’t the ski for me as I felt they got away from me, but there are people who love them.

Sheffsnow91

Diva in Training
The 2020 K2 skis are a lot different than your 2010 skis - the ones I demo’ed are super playful fun and floaty. I wouldn’t rule them out and definitely try them if you are looking for playful. However they’re not called missdemeanors anymore, I did a review here when I demo’ed -

For skis that rip and are fun in powder, I like Rossi sky 7, elan ripstick 94W and the K2s as well as the Fischer Ranger 98W (pick a longer length bc rocker).

Not familiar with your picks but I did test an Armada based on a recommendation here - and I didn’t think it was fun unfortunately.

I have been wanting to try the black crows forever. There is a more freestyle friendly model available that’s not mentioned here. It’s narrower. I forget the name but AFAIK the camox birdie would be better for powder based on everything I read up on and also heard about from people who have skied them -

Thanks so much for this! I will give the K2s a bit of an investigate and the other skis you mentioned - since I am spending so much and will likely have them for years to come, I want to make the right choice!

Sheffsnow91

Diva in Training
@Sheffsnow91 - are you looking for something with a more centered mount point or more traditional? I have the Atris Birdies (basically a wider version of the Camox) and they're super fun, but they're mounted at around -7 or -8. I think the Captis is -6, but friends who use it mostly in the mark go with -4. Not sure if the same adjustment feels the same on the Camox/Atris since their flex patterns are different.

Also - totally should've mentioned the Bent Chetler 100. Technically a partial twin, but friends have been able to ride switch on it without issue. 3 recommended mount points, and comes down to a 164. Faction CT or Prodigy series also checks all the boxes. And likewise for the Rossignol Black Ops 98w.

Really like the look of both the Faction CT anf prodigy 2.0, they do seem to check the boxes perfectly! Do you know anyone who has experience skiing them? Also what sort of size would you recommend? TIA :-)

Analisa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Really like the look of both the Faction CT anf prodigy 2.0, they do seem to check the boxes perfectly! Do you know anyone who has experience skiing them? Also what sort of size would you recommend? TIA :-)

My sister in law has the Prodigy 2.0X (same as the 2.0, just a different top sheet). Both are a little stiff/stable than your average park/jibby all mountain ski (like the Line Blends, J Skis Allplay). Prodigy's are a little more directional since they only have 1 recommended mount at -5, and their tip and tail aren't perfectly symmetrical (tips are 127 vs 119mm in the tail). CTs have a -5 and -1 mount spot, and they're symmetrical on both ends.

Sheffsnow91

Diva in Training
My sister in law has the Prodigy 2.0X (same as the 2.0, just a different top sheet). Both are a little stiff/stable than your average park/jibby all mountain ski (like the Line Blends, J Skis Allplay). Prodigy's are a little more directional since they only have 1 recommended mount at -5, and their tip and tail aren't perfectly symmetrical (tips are 127 vs 119mm in the tail). CTs have a -5 and -1 mount spot, and they're symmetrical on both ends.

Just doing a bit of reading about them now and they seem like they might handle speed better than the armada arw I was originally looking at. Both also seem directed at someone who wants a ski that does everything. Leaning towards the CTs as I do prefer a more central mount spot... Too many choices!

Sheffsnow91

Diva in Training

Done some investigating and read some reviews, I think the missdemeanors have become the missconducts! Although they are marketed by K2 as a park ski, the general consensus is that they ski great all over the mountain. People also seem to rave about their ability to handle speed which my old K2s aren't so great at!

My only worry is that they are only 88mm underfoot and might not be as fun off piste as a wider ski, that being said they are still wider than my old model! What do you think having skied them? I am also not sure which size to choose, I think my old skis are 159.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna