• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Buying new mtn bike

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I need to replace my 02 Titus Racer X. It's a great bike but its geometry doesn't match my fitting needs.
I'm looking at the Giant Liv Pique 3 for $1900. It has Shimano Deore components, 10 speed aluminum frame, full suspension.
My other choice is the Giant Liv Pique 2 on sale for $2640. The frame is a composite, sram Gx components
11 speed. Both have disc brakes.
My riding consists of fire roads, rails to trails, etc. Sometimes smooth, sometimes rocky.
I've not used Sram components or ridden a 1x or 2x bike. 2x doesn't concern me too much since I use a compact double. My concern is will my small hands get along with shifting a 2x. I have problems with the Deore Xt shifters on my old bike. I don't ride terrain with steep climbs.
Any thoughts on which bike will be best for me?

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You would get more bang for the buck with a hard tail - if you only ride fire roads and rails to trails, do you need full suspension at all?

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I need to replace my 02 Titus Racer X. It's a great bike but its geometry doesn't match my fitting needs.
I'm looking at the Giant Liv Pique 3 for $1900. It has Shimano Deore components, 10 speed aluminum frame, full suspension.
My other choice is the Giant Liv Pique 2 on sale for $2640. The frame is a composite, sram Gx components
11 speed. Both have disc brakes.
My riding consists of fire roads, rails to trails, etc. Sometimes smooth, sometimes rocky.
I've not used Sram components or ridden a 1x or 2x bike. 2x doesn't concern me too much since I use a compact double. My concern is will my small hands get along with shifting a 2x. I have problems with the Deore Xt shifters on my old bike. I don't ride terrain with steep climbs.
The cassette on the Pique Advanced 2 is 10x42 and the crankset is Sram Gx 30T.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You would get more bang for the buck with a hard tail - if you only ride fire roads and rails to trails, do you need full suspension at all?
I keep wondering that but this past weekend on Keystone Gulch and Boreas Pass I was glad to have the suspension coming down through the rocky sections of the roads.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I keep wondering that but this past weekend on Keystone Gulch and Boreas Pass I was glad to have the suspension coming down through the rocky sections of the roads.

It's just on my mind because a friend of mine recently got a hard tail with 27.5+ tires. She did it so she could get a very nice bike without having to pay for full suspension, and she said the fat tires (I think they're 3.5") give her something like the effect of suspension. I watched her ride down stuff that I won't try on my full suspension fancy-pants rig, and I realize that it really is true that it's the rider, not the bike.

Anyway, it seems like you ought to be able to go to a local bike store and put your hands on both a SRAM and a Shimano setup ... for that purpose it wouldn't matter which bike the shifters are attached to. For what it's worth, my hands are pretty small, but I always have issues with brake levers, not so much shifters. (Yes, you can adjust levers inward, but then you lose some play ... I end up using two fingers to brake, basically to get the length of my middle finger involved - best practice is one finger, but whatcha gonna do?)

I was at a clinic about 5 years ago, and we were rained out, and so Tracy Moseley (pro racer) helped us optimize our fit. This was the first time someone had actually spent time showing me how much of a difference it makes to rearrange the stuff on your handlebars. I'd of course fiddled with angling them up and down a bit, but she ended up actually swapping stuff so that they were in a different order on the handlebar - like if the brake lever was to the outside and the shifter to the inside, swapping them on the bar, stuff like that. Whatever the change was, it was revolutionary on that bike. So whatever bike you get, feel free to experiment by moving things around.

I adore the 1x setup, but it will almost certainly give you a harder granny gear, unless you swap out the front ring (in which case it will give you a lower high gear - less power for downhills). You would definitely lose range in one direction or the other.

I'm confused by the Pique numbering system. Are higher numbers lower end?

I'm having trouble understanding the Fox fork and rear shock naming system and what they get you, but if the Pique 2 has a better fork and rear shock, I think that's worth considering. You can upgrade brakes and you can upgrade drivetrain, but you can't upgrade your rear shock, and you're not likely to upgrade your fork.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Best option is to go hop on each one. They are both going to feel amazing to you! And as you know, it's a great time of year to buy!

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm working with a fitter at the shop. Prices are bood right now but very few XS available.
Yes, lower #s on the Liv are higher end. Pique Advanced 2 retails for $3300. Pique 3 retails for $2200.
Shop doesn't have any hardtails in my size in stock. If I work with this shop I have the advantage of getting it fit for me. Giant does have 1 Hardtail in the Liv line but it's not on sale so would be the same price as the Pique Advanced.
Most likely I will have to switch out the 170 crankarms for 165 so the front ring can be changed then.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm checking them out tomorrow. Won't get to do too much riding due to poor air quality from the fires north of us here in Denver.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm checking them out tomorrow. Won't get to do too much riding due to poor air quality from the fires north of us here in Denver.

God, ain't that the truth? I thought about riding today, but for a variety of reasons - not least the smoke - decided against.

I think either will be fine for you and adjustable. I'd ask about the fork and rear suspension differences, especially if you are the type to mess with lock outs etc.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
God, ain't that the truth? I thought about riding today, but for a variety of reasons - not least the smoke - decided against.

I think either will be fine for you and adjustable. I'd ask about the fork and rear suspension differences, especially if you are the type to mess with lock outs etc.
I was more intrigued by the 1x gearing. Wonder if my small size will be a disadvantage. The shop is in Golden and there are some good hilly streets to try the bikes on.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was more intrigued by the 1x gearing. Wonder if my small size will be a disadvantage. The shop is in Golden and there are some good hilly streets to try the bikes on.

How is your small size a disadvantage relative to gearing?

luliski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love the 1x gearing. My new bike has Shimano Deore 11-42 cassette, but the crankset is 32T. I might change it out for a 30T if I don't get into better climbing shape. It's a little nerve wracking on steep climbs with obstacles to not have a more comfortable gear. I don't care about the power on the downhill, I'm more of a climber. The 1 x makes everything so simple.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How is your small size a disadvantage relative to gearing?
Strength. I did use the granny climbing Boreas Pass the other day. Altitude is also a factor there and I didn't train much for the ride.
In the old days I walked a lot when I first started riding hills.
I also read that with 1x gearing cadence can be lost while shifting on climbs due to the spacing on the cassette. Some commenters to the article disagreed with that. On my road bike I bottom out a lot going downhill. I don't go downhill fast enough off road to care about losing speed. I like the idea of things being simple. I never had a triple on my road bikes and always felt confused trying to figure out the shifting on the mtn bike.

A review of the Pique Advanced said it is perfect for "long distance endurance based events and all day trail rides". Next weekend we're riding the 109 miles of the Mickelson Trail in S. Dakota. The trail is considered RR grade but according to the data from my watch on day 2 there is 2+ hours of climbing, day 3 has 1:30 hrs of climbs. Total climbing is 4+ hours over 3 days. Lots of work if the gearing is too hard.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
wait what? 109 dirt miles in two days?

:eek:

elemmac

Angel Diva

My initial gut reaction would be to go with the 2x. This is mainly based on the fact that you mentioned riding a lot of fire roads and rail trail type trails. A 2x will give you a wider range of gears, with smaller steps in between. Since you say you ride a compact double, it will give you similar gearing to what you're used to. It'll be smaller steps in between gears, whereas (as you already mentioned) some people find the 1x messes up your cadence. This is completely a stereotype (so ignore it if it doesn't pertain to you), but since you're a road biker as well, I would think you'd be a bit more sensitive to your cadence being off.

However, going against my gut reaction, the Pique 2 Composite will be lighter, and you don't have to deal with a front derailleur (which is nice). The fork and the shock don't look like that much of an upgrade on the Pique 2, so I wouldn't take that into account unless you're partial to Rockshox instead of FOX, or vice versa.

Putting aside the 1x vs. 2x argument, I'd consider the GX a better drive train than the Deore. As for your concerns about not being able to shift them with small hands. The shop should be able to help you adjust them based on your needs, as bounceswoosh said, keep in mind you can swap the order of the components on the bars around to make them fit better.

Personally, I would choose based on:
A) do the shifters and brakes work for you
B) is a lighter bike worth $740 more to you
C) do you actually want a 1x or 2x drive train (this can always be swapped out later down the road if you want)

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
And to think I'm still riding my VooDoo Wanga hardtail from the 90's....

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for all the help. I ended up with the Pique Advanced 2. OMG, I was in love after climbing the short, steep hill my fitter had me climb. I was able to shift easily for the climb. I love the 1x drive train. It's so simple and quiet. Do they make 1x for road bikes?

This bike is truly designed for small riders. The handlebar diameter is smaller. Shifter and brake levers fit my small hands and can be adjusted more if I need it. Big surprise to my fitter was the 165 mm crank arms that were already installed.

The XS was almost a perfect fit. My fitter changed out the stem to a shorter one with a little more rise. We switched out the Giant saddle for a Specialized Jett Comp. That's it.

I'm no longer the Rip Van Winkle of the mountain bike world!

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love the 1x drive train.

I'm scared to replace my 2x10 because I don't want to lose the granny gear that I rely on way too much. But I'd like to lighten the bike and not drop the chain so much. I'm thinking a 30 tooth chainring and an 11-42 cassette? I'm working hard on my fitness, so maybe by the time I make the switch I won't need quite such an easy gear.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly