• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Buying in the summer

MilkyWookiee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey divas!

I’ll be up at Okemo for a summer vacation in a few weeks and was planning on stopping by boot pro in hopes of finding a good deal on new boots. I’m curious if anyone has had luck with boots in the off season. Are the savings usually substantial? And are shops usually really low on stock right now?
Also was wondering if I need to be concerned about boots fitting differently because feet swell in the summer. I don’t often notice fit changes is my street shoes but feel like even the smallest change makes a big difference in ski boots. I’ve never had a proper boot fitting and have actually only ever worn used boots so this is all completely foreign to me!

Christy

Angel Diva
Here at least stock is very low in summer. Stores had big sales in March to sell off stock. I'd be afraid that you don't have much choice and might not buy the best option. Hopefully they'll tell you that if that's the case.

Jilly

Staff member
You're on the right track. First selection will be limited to what's left over, or left over stock they've bought to sell. Prices though should be better. They don't want this stuff for next season. Unless the manufacturer is making a big change in models, there really shouldn't be much difference between 2018 and 2109 versions.

As for fit. A good bootfitter should be taking that into account.

I would call ahead and make a appointment. That way they know you're coming, they will have the boot fitter there and you'll know their hours.

If you're not really happy or unsure, just tell them you'll wait till fall when all the stock is in. Don't cheap out on boots!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Making an appointment is very important. The experience boot fitter you want to work with could well be taking a vacation at certain times during the summer. Or busy with summer customers if he/she also sells summer gear.

Certainly doesn't hurt to do a boot fitting. If the shop doesn't have anything appropriate, then don't buy boots yet. But you could get lucky. The boots I've bought in the last 12 years have all been "new old stock" bought during early or late season sales in North Carolina, which is not exactly prime ski country. But there are experienced boot fitters around. Fit was good and getting a discounted price was a bonus. In all three cases, the boot fitter was also the owner of the shop.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Hey divas!

I’ll be up at Okemo for a summer vacation in a few weeks and was planning on stopping by boot pro in hopes of finding a good deal on new boots. I’m curious if anyone has had luck with boots in the off season. Are the savings usually substantial? And are shops usually really low on stock right now?
Also was wondering if I need to be concerned about boots fitting differently because feet swell in the summer. I don’t often notice fit changes is my street shoes but feel like even the smallest change makes a big difference in ski boots. I’ve never had a proper boot fitting and have actually only ever worn used boots so this is all completely foreign to me!

I would definitely check with Boot Pro before you go, just to make sure they're open. I live in that area, and they're closed a lot more than they're open. Just to be safe, give them a call first.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I would definitely check with Boot Pro before you go, just to make sure they're open. I live in that area, and they're closed a lot more than they're open. Just to be safe, give them a call first.

I'm pretty sure the Boot Pro is in the process of a big renovation of their store space. I don't think they are open.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly