• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Buying boots for narrow feet - 84mm foot width in a 98mm last?

skyy_blue7

Certified Ski Diva
Ugh! Need new boots. Tired of losing my big toe nails every year in my Langes. Went into Surefoot today and they measured my feet which were a "very slight" 84mm, size 23.5. The bootfitter recommended either the Nordica GPX 105W or the Technica Mach1 105 LV (neither of which they had in my size but that's another story.)

As these may possibly be the last boots I ever buy, I am so hopeful that I actually get it right this time. Should I be concerned that the last is 98mm and my feet are only 84mm? Does anyone have any experience with these boots and/or have other recommendations for boots for narrow feet/narrower heels?

Thanks so much!

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, I have the Technica Mach1 LV in a different flex, and I have the opposite width forefoot from you. I had one boot punched out for me, but still.

Wouldn't the issue in the Langes be length, though, and not width?

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Lange RS low volume boots have a 97mm last. Wouldn't a too-wide fit let your feet slam forward, hence toe bang? I have Langes that only allow one finger between the shell and heel when my feet are in the bare shell, but they fit really well, so my toes don't bang even when I jump up and down. (I'm a newbie; I chimed in here only because I've been going through the boot thing lately). Maybe get a second opinion? I've had different bootfitters tell me completely opposing things. I finally just started reading a lot and trying things out for myself. Fwiw, I settled on sized-down boots that fit my narrow feet better than my measured size, then had the toes punched and got some ZipFit Garas that keep my heels absolutely locked in place. It's not a cheap solution, but my weirdo clown feet never allow me the cheap solution anyway.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I feel like toe bang is more often the result of being in the back seat and/or too long a boot. That is, being in the back seat allows the foot to slide forward if there is space, which is causing the toe trauma.

elemmac

Angel Diva
Should I be concerned that the last is 98mm and my feet are only 84mm? Does anyone have any experience with these boots and/or have other recommendations for boots for narrow feet/narrower heels?

No I wouldn't be concerned; the last of a boot is measured based on a certain size, I believe it's 25.5. As the size gets smaller so does the last.

I have a pair of Nordica GPX 105W boots, love them. They grip my heel plenty and fit everywhere else great, I wear a 23.5 and my feet are just slightly wider than yours (a mm or so).

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My feet are wider than yours... I think they measured in the low 90s? But I'm fine in my Dalbello Chakras. Maybe it's b/c I squeezed down into 22.5s? Or the moldable ID liners? Or both? But like @elemmac said the last is based off a specific size. And as the boot gets smaller, so does the last. Just like skis and turn radius based on a certain length.

mustski

Angel Diva
I will be the outlier here. The measurements are based on a 25.5 boot. A 97MM last will not reduce down to 84mm in two sizes! I have a similar problem. My feet aren't quite as narrow as yours but I have longer feet. There is likely to still be some movement in your boots. The key will be good heel and ankle hold and a good custom orthopedic insole. Otherwise, you are likely to slide forward and have toe bang. Even once your foot is stabilized, you will have to get used to skiing in a too wide boot. The other option is plug boots which lack warmth. If I had ever worked this out, I would give a suggestion. Truthfully, I continue to struggle with this issue boot after boot.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'd guess the narrowest boot you can find, in the correct length (sized to your small foot), then add custom footbeds and ZipFit or foamed liners. That's likely your best option for long term comfort. The good thing is that the footbeds and ZipFits will last you through several shells.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have 82mm wide feet, with low insteps, and narrow heels. It's a struggle. Stock liners are generally not a good option. I'm in a Salomon Xmax 90. I had tried the other two on you were recommended, and they did not fit my foot shape for some reason. I've been told over and over the best option for those of us who are fortunate enough to have such low-volume feet is a Jr. Race boot. I haven't gone that route yet. I do have Zipfit liners in my boots, which I didn't use last season and I regret it.

Good luck. The struggle is real.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, and I should add that I am in one size smaller than I really should be, just to shave off a few more mm. It doesn't give me any issues, though. I wear a 7 street shoe and am in a 22.5 shell. But, the Zipfits are my saving grace. I believe I spent close to $400 on them 5 years ago, and have moved them from boot to boot and have had extra cork material added to them to take up more volume. The amount of precision and extra control they give me makes them worth the investment a million times over. I just switched back from my stock liners this week, and my skiing instantly improved 10 fold. They are a worthwhile investment for any skier, really, but for those of us with low-volume feet? I think they are a must. If not Zipfits, then at the very least after-market foam liners. YMMV.

Oh, another bonus to the Zipfits? They are warmer than stock liners and super comfortable.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It seems that there are three people here, myself included, who found success by going down a size; it might at least be worth a try to see how they feel in the shop. I've been told that too-big boots will always feel too big, but that small boots can be made bigger (to some extent). When I buckled into a size-smaller boot, the fit was absolutely amazing; the instep especially felt perfect. I just needed a few mm of length in the toe, which was easily achieved.

I think you have to be patient and willing to endure some uncomfortable break-in if you go smaller, though. I ended up sanding down the forefoot of my insole to create a bit less pressure and better circulation. And like @contesstant , ZipFit liners were my savior.

Powgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You might want to look into Full Tilt boots...they come in a 98 last...the intuition liner really snugs in my heel, my whole foot.

Hjf6

Certified Ski Diva
Hi! I went the jr race boot (Lang) route with custom foot beds. What I like about it too is that the boots are a bit shorter for my 5'2 frame than a women's LV boot.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There are some really great options in the 93 and 95 last width, but don't get too hung up in the numbers

*I see Sally Cat recommended the RS from Lange. That is a good option, as is the R93 or R95 from Tecnica.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have had bad experience and ultimately poorly fitting boots from two different SureFoot locations, so my gut is to get a second opinion - not from people on the Internet, but from another fitter.

I also wonder if plug/race boots might be an option.

Finally, no one's bitten, but why would these be your last boots?

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A bit counter to the prevailing zeitgeist, but I would caution not to make an infallible guru out of any one particular bootfitter if you have tricky feet.* Don't be afraid to disagree based on your own experience. There are many knowledgable people in boot-related discussion threads and plenty of reviews to read and compare. The forum posters will disagree forcefully, the magazines will advertise product, and shop staff can only show you what they have in stock. In the end, nobody is more committed to your boots fitting properly than you are.

Since only last February, at reputable and recommended bootfitters, I have:

1. been sold a boot with a 104mm last for my insanely-narrow feet. (Fitter #1)

2. been sold a pair of rigid insoles that were always painful (Fitter #4)

3. been told that I needed heel lifts. (Fitter #1)

4. been told that under no circumstances should I use heel lifts. (Fitter #2)

5. been sold a new pair of narrower boots [97mm, size 27.5] only to find that they, also, were too big. (Fitter #3)

6. decided to switch to the same boot in a 26.5 and punch out the toe. (#3)

7. been told the 110 flex was not in stock, but that the 130 flex boot can be "softened" so as to reduce the flex by removing the bolts at the back of the cuff. (fitter #3) This did not work. I was told there was "nothing else" that could be done. Oh, and the boots could not be returned because they'd been punched. (Fitter #5)

8. had a second bootfitter adjust the flex further by cutting the cuff under the front leg buckle and taking out both nuts remaining inside the boot spine (because apparently something could be done) (Fitter #6)

9. instructed in three distinct methods of buckling ski boots (Fitters #1, #2, and #5)

10. listened to each boot-fitter disparaged the choices made by his colleagues in other shops.

My point is that there is a benefit to being a well-informed consumer, and that there is a wealth of information to be had on boot fitting forums and articles. You still want to have boots fitted by a professional, but that doesn't mean subordinating your own judgement or that it's wrong to ask questions on a forum.

*I always have issues with footwear that needs to have a very precise fit (hiking boots, ski boots, running shoes, etc.) because my feet are crazy long, but also narrow and low volume. Women's footwear rarely comes in my size, so I have to make it work with men's.

Last edited:

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A bit counter to the prevailing zeitgeist, but I would caution not to make an infallible guru out of any one particular bootfitter if you have tricky feet.* Don't be afraid to disagree based on your own experience. There are many knowledgable people in boot-related discussion threads and plenty of reviews to read and compare. The forum posters will disagree forcefully, the magazines will advertise product, and shop staff can only show you what they have in stock. In the end, nobody is more committed to your boots fitting properly than you are.

Since only last February, at reputable and recommended bootfitters, I have:

1. been sold a boot with a 104mm last for my insanely-narrow feet. (Fitter #1)

2. been sold a pair of rigid insoles that were always painful (Fitter #4)

3. been told that I needed heel lifts. (Fitter #1)

4. been told that under no circumstances should I use heel lifts. (Fitter #2)

5. been sold a new pair of narrower boots [97mm, size 27.5] only to find that they, also, were too big. (Fitter #3)

6. decided to switch to the same boot in a 26.5 and punch out the toe. (#3)

7. been told the 110 flex was not in stock, but that the 130 flex boot can be "softened" so as to reduce the flex by removing the bolts at the back of the cuff. (fitter #3) This did not work. I was told there was "nothing else" that could be done. Oh, and the boots could not be returned because they'd been punched. (Fitter #5)

8. had a second bootfitter adjust the flex further by cutting the cuff under the front leg buckle and taking out both nuts remaining inside the boot spine (because apparently something could be done) (Fitter #6)

9. instructed in three distinct methods of buckling ski boots (Fitters #1, #2, and #5)

10. listened to each boot-fitter disparaged the choices made by his colleagues in other shops.

My point is that there is a benefit to being a well-informed consumer, and that there is a wealth of information to be had on boot fitting forums and articles. You still want to have boots fitted by a professional, but that doesn't mean subordinating your own judgement or that it's wrong to ask questions on a forum.

*I always have issues with footwear that needs to have a very precise fit (hiking boots, ski boots, running shoes, etc.) because my feet are crazy long, but also narrow and low volume. Women's footwear rarely comes in my size, so I have to make it work with men's.
Boy, can I relate! This is a great post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna