• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

bumps, and BUMPS; moguls and MOGULS

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a question about bumps/moguls. I'm a fairly new skier, having learned to ski in VT/NH over the last 3 years.

For some reason I got the impression that bumps/moguls were the large, hardened lumps, several-days-old or maybe even weeks-old, covering some slopes that the mountain had not groomed for a while. These bumps are often arranged like a honey-comb across the trail, as if someone shaped them in near-perfect symmetry. Did I say they are rock-hard on the days that I wander into them? I'm a clutz in those bumps.

I encountered similar hard bumps inside the "glades" of Sunday River, Ragged Mountain, Bretton Woods, etc., where it snowed several days or weeks before I skied there. People went in there and skied right after it snowed, forming the bumps between the trees. Then they hardened up over the days, and it didn't snow again. That's of course when I encountered them - rock hard bumps between trees. Intimidating.

So, this is the conceptual image of bumps/moguls that I thought everyone meant when they said "bumps."

Last year I started skiing more often, and a few times I actually skied right after it snowed. On those days soft bumps grew up and matured on the slopes, getting slowly larger all day long. By 3:00 they were pretty big, but they remained soft. These bumps were fun to ski; I loved them. So now there is a new type of bumps/moguls in my mind - not at all intimidating, instead fun and challenging.

But these two types of bumps are very very different.

Which type to you think of when you say "bumps"??? or "moguls"???

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can't believe there is someone out there with EXACTLY my impression of BUMPS and MOGULS!

I just began really, I mean REALLY learning to ski bumps/moguls at the end of the season last year. It is my goal to embrace them and become accomplished, beginning this coming season.
Wanna join me in that goal? I really don't want to be the only diva cussing at those bullet proof ice bumps.;)

Quiver Queen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Distinctions

I tend to think that the word "mogul" means you're not comfortable with them yet, whether they're soft or hard. Later, as you begin to manage them better, they become "bumps." The ones that are huge, old, hard, and simply no fun for anybody are "volkswagens.";)

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
All I know is that the soft ones are fun, and the icy ones not so much so. I'd like to make it so I can enjoy them both.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just to be clear.............
I'm not the only diva who says, "oh s***" when skiing Ice bumps?

Marigee

Angel Diva
The bumps at Timberline in WV get so big that they are called "whales" by a lot of the posters on DCSki (local ski forum.) They are hard and icy, and not something I want to ski.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Do you think its a mistake that the names of the bump runs at my local hill are:
Nose Dive
Wipe Out
Gorge
Drop In
Those aren't very friendly names.

Other hill names at the same resort:
Cheers
Giggles
Main Street
Hoot Owl
Emmy
(see, very friendly)

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
One of my goals for last year was to learn to ski icy moguls. But ... it didn't snow enough for the mountains where I go to let them grow. So, no practice, no mastery.

Again this year, it's a goal for me, so SnowHot, you're certainly not alone. I will definitely post with the Divas about dealing with these if I get the chance to mess with them. I really admire those women who just glide down through such obstacles, and if they can do it, so can I. Eventually. After much practice.

So c'mon, let's get some snow and keep away the warm temps that bring on the r word and melt the white stuff. It's time; let's see some snow. Flaky-time for Thanksgiving?? White stuff, where are you?????

Jilly

Staff member
I've always equated Bumps - english, Moguls - french. Don't know as now their called "Bosses" in french. All said I hate the icy one too, but love the soft powder or the soft mushy spring ones. Buried VW's are not fun as you tap the top of the bump on your way through instead of a pole plant. As for names - Tremblant has: Haute Tension (high tension yeah right!), Expo (right under the chair), Zig-Zag, Vertige, Grand Prix, Flying Mile and the daily bump run that gets groomed everynight - Johansen - right at the bottom of the gondola and one way to finish the day.

eng_ch

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can't say as bumnps/moguls have ever held any terrors for me - certainly not like ice did. That's not to say I'm particularly good at them, I just take them slowly and gently

Jilly

Staff member
The icy ones aren't all that bad as long as the edges work, but softer is better. I took a really good lesson on bumps and they don't scare me anymore. I really do hate the icy and bare rock ones. And that's what usually happens when they get icy. I usually make an effort to take one mogul run a day. Unless its icy and then I keep to the groomers. Since I need to excell at bumps to get my CSIA 3, I'm working on them. Also I have to be able to teach bump skiing. So getting reasonable good is imperative.

Jilly

Staff member
5 day course and 2 days of exams. There are numerous ski runs showing your ability to ski and demonstrate. Then teach 2 lessons. Include assessment and correction. They don't call it D and C (detection and correction) any more. It's 2 really nervous days. I thinking maybe this year, or should I celebrate 1/2 a century next winter??

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
JILLY,

Go for it. If you wait, you'll be one year older. Time's a wasting....

Life's short. Ski more. I'm SO quoting other people on SkiDiva, don'tchaknow.

Jilly

Staff member
Thanks liquidfeet. I've been teaching for awhile, but not serious enough. Also at our local 200' bump there is no one above my level to mentor me through it. So, I'm looking farther afield. But this thread is about bumps on snow, not in my life. So, girl, so try some small soft bumps, get the feel of them, and be aggressive in them. Take one run a day and the confidence will grow.

HotChocolate

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
LiquidFeet..I thought bumps were icy mounds too until I skied outwest last year. What a treat! I still haven't mastered them and I've been trying for a season. Last season I would do at least one mogul run sometimes two, whenever I went skiing no matter what the conditions. The best mogul runs for beginner bumpers IMO are the back black trails at Mount Snow. I love it back there!!! Afterwards I treat myself to a hot waffle. Yummm!

I can't wait to ski....

~quivers at the thought~

eng_ch

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
liquidfeet said:
Eng ch
Do you get icy bumps days-old and frozen solid over there in Switzerland?

Yes, but it was always the ice that was the problem rather than the bumps IYSWIM

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna