• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Bumps 4 Boomers: I'm 60 and I'm Doing It

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, yeah, I know. I could build my own bumps lesson program for a whole lot less $$$. I researched it and I had a tentative plan. And then, life got busy (busier). I'm 60, working full time and then some, I'm tired of planning everything for everyone else, I want a package deal, I want to be with "my own peeps" (Boomers), and I have two ski buds willing to go w/me and share the lodging and dining costs.

Now that all that is out of the way, I'm excited to tell you all that I'm excited. B4B is changing this year to short skis v. ski boards and that is all to the good, I think. We're booked for the second week of December in order to take advantage of the lessons for our full season (praying it is loooooong, cold, and snowy).

I plan to provide updates when the time comes. Right now, I'm just happy to have made the commitment!

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't know what you're talking about, but it is exciting to be excited and I'm glad for you. Is this about the Aspen ski lesson program? I'm staying tuned for the updates. :smile:

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, yeah, I know. I could build my own bumps lesson program for a whole lot less $$$. I researched it and I had a tentative plan. And then, life got busy (busier). I'm 60, working full time and then some, I'm tired of planning everything for everyone else, I want a package deal, I want to be with "my own peeps" (Boomers), and I have two ski buds willing to go w/me and share the lodging and dining costs.

Now that all that is out of the way, I'm excited to tell you all that I'm excited. B4B is changing this year to short skis v. ski boards and that is all to the good, I think. We're booked for the second week of December in order to take advantage of the lessons for our full season (praying it is loooooong, cold, and snowy).

I plan to provide updates when the time comes. Right now, I'm just happy to have made the commitment!

Good for you! I teach at Snowmass so let me know if you want to meet for happy hour.

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I DID IT! (apologies, @Skier31 - I completely forgot about this thread and your generous invite in the 3 months in between!)

Well, the B4B Clinic was the best ski money I've ever spent. By Day 2 my biggest problem was fixed - FEAR. The gentle, relaxed, s-l-o-w approach taught in the clinic was exactly what I needed. The morning of Day 1 was spent on drills, i.e., primarily side slipping and skidded turns that would be needed to "drift" in the bumps. My stance also got miraculously fixed - I needed to be more upright w/a longer leg (femurs). Frankly, it has even helped my groomer skiing.

By the afternoon of Day 1 we were already in the bumps. We started on some blue runs and our instructor threw in a black run or two. He likes to teach skills on easier terrain, move to tougher/steeper runs, and then move back to the easier terrain. After doing my first black bump run the blue runs seemed a piece of cake - which was his aim.

I know the literature and videos of B4B focus on describing green/blue/black lines, and while this was explained by our instructor, we didn't spend much time at all practicing it. My group (3 guys and me) seemed to fall into appropriate line choices simply based on what we learned about technique (for me - drifting, looking early to the next turn, staying tall) and using the bumps and deeper snow to control speed.

Day 2 was our second day on short "learning" skis. Mine were a 147 Volkl RTM. We did another mix of black and blue terrain all day and took some narrower trails. There wasn't a whole lot of stopping and talking though there was meaningful instruction. We skied and skied and skied - all of us in my group had previously described our learning style as "watching and doing," which was one of the reasons we ended up in the same grouping.

Day 3 involved some additional drills - pivot slips and falling leaf, but most of the day was spent skiing a variety of black terrain. We were back on "normal" skis at that point. The night before, my instructor came with me to the rental shop and we talked about skis that he thought would suit my skiing needs and ability. He wanted me to try the Volkl Kenja, but they didn't have an appropriate length, so I ended up on the Yumi in a 154 (he's a huge Volkl fan). The Yumi's were soft and playful and ideally suited to learning bumps (IMHO), so I was happy. They were pretty sloppy and floppy on hardpack, however.

Day 4 was devoted to skiing and having fun. We skied almost exclusively black terrain and mixed up some runs we'd already done with a few new ones. We also practiced handling big changes in terrain w/o stopping (or screaming in terror), i.e., sudden and dramatic changes in pitch. The idea was to always be skiing in balance and in control so that terrain changes didn't upset rhythm or result in increased speed. We did this a couple of times on a run that I never in a million years would've skied if I'd seen it first or stopped at the pitch change. It looked even more horrifying from the lift, which is why our instructor didn't point it out until we'd already come down it.

The 4-day clinic was capped off with a nice happy hour where everyone was presented with a "Ski For Life" hat that I will cherish. I still had a day to myself to ski and I spent the whole time skiing bumps and seeking out bumps. No way would I have thought that possible before this experience. My "style" leaves much to be desired and I still tend to do some turn "shopping" on steeper stuff, but the fear is GONE and I'm now using a different "F" word when encountering bumps - FUN!

Last edited:

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Bravo! I love reading this. My BIL attended B4B last December and he skied bumps really well through the season. He was a never ever until 3 years ago and only averages about 12 ski days annually. Clearly, this training stays with you because his form and focus is really wonderful. I’d love to do this course myself. I need to!
It’s interesting about the Kenjas because for a stiffer ski, I’ve read they could prove a little much for some folks in bumps. I‘m 5’4” and can’t decide between which Kenja (or Secret) to take into the bumps; the 156 or 163. I hear great things about Yumis though.

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Yumi was good fun, @bsskier but I ended up opting for the Black Pearl 82 as a bump ski b/c we ski so much man-made ice in the mid-Atlantic and I didn't like the way the Yumi felt on the one icy run we did on Ajax. The BP82 holds up just fine on the hardpack. I also just demo'd and bought (the demo's themselves) the Stockli Stormrider 85 Motion as my all-around ski. My 4-year old BP88's will now move into the "rock ski" position replacing an old pair of Head Total Joys that are really beat.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna