• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Building endurance between trips

Getting Ready

Angel Diva
My schedule doesn’t really allow for regular skiing throughout the season. So I make 2-3 week long trips with nothing in between. I think I’m in fairly good shape (but actually maybe not). I find that after the first three hours of the day, I’m so tired that my technique starts falling apart which makes me frustrated and discouraged.

This trip I haven’t gone out after lunch but that is a bummer too. So I’m wondering if you all have any advice on what exercises I can do between trips to help me build my endurance.

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
My schedule doesn’t really allow for regular skiing throughout the season. So I make 2-3 week long trips with nothing in between. I think I’m in fairly good shape (but actually maybe not). I find that after the first three hours of the day, I’m so tired that my technique starts falling apart which makes me frustrated and discouraged.

This trip I haven’t gone out after lunch but that is a bummer too. So I’m wondering if you all have any advice on what exercises I can do between trips to help me build my endurance.
Squats. 100s of them. That is what I do before the season starts.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I might look into taking some lessons. What terrain are you skiing that you are exhausted after a few hours? If you are going nuts off piste, okay. If you are just on groomers I would be wanting to look into whether there is a technique issue or improvements that can be made to ski more efficiently. Are your quads burning, are you skiing in the backseat, etc.

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
I might look into taking some lessons. What terrain are you skiing that you are exhausted after a few hours? If you are going nuts off piste, okay. If you are just on groomers I would be wanting to look into whether there is a technique issue or improvements that can be made to ski more efficiently. Are your quads burning, are you skiing in the backseat, etc.
I often hurt the first 20 min of every ski day in my tibia area. The first few days I still can only ski a few hours before my legs hurt. Hoping lessons at Taos, better stance and balance will help. I do as much lower leg, ankle, arch and toe stretch and strengthening exercises as I can.

marzNC

Angel Diva

Is altitude adjustment a factor for ski trips? I keep my expectations low for the first 2-3 days when skiing over 7000 ft. I still ski full days but dial is back after lunch. I always stop for a leisurely lunch, even later in the week.

My focus for ski conditioning during pre-season is on flexibility and core strength. I work on 1-leg balance (fore/aft, side-to-side) all year long. HIIT is how I work on cardio, although that's a lower priority. Although the investment I've made on lessons in terms of money and time spent learning how to practice on groomers at my home hill over the last 5-10 has paid off. I didn't start taking lessons regularly until after age 55. Took a few years to start to understand how much difference technique could make. Was very interesting to see the difference that lessons with very experienced instructors made for my ski buddy who was in his 60s and had been an expert skier in high school skiing bumps at Aspen every winter weekend. The small adjustments that he made over a few seasons meant he started skiing longer days.

If you want some ideas for ski conditioning exercises:

MissySki

Angel Diva
I often hurt the first 20 min of every ski day in my tibia area. The first few days I still can only ski a few hours before my legs hurt. Hoping lessons at Taos, better stance and balance will help. I do as much lower leg, ankle, arch and toe stretch and strengthening exercises as I can.
Bone pain?

Getting Ready

Angel Diva
Thanks. I’ve been taking lessons and I do think my technique is improving. Not usually in back seat. Maybe it is at least mental because I still find steeps pretty scary. But you’ve given me a lot of ideas.

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
Bone pain?
I’m a bit bow legged with an old ankle tendon and ligaments tear, bone chip from high school. My leg and foot are a bit off. The torque or force angle is harder on my right side which consequently is my dominate side but also my injury side. Yup every injury is right sided. I have been working on Strengthening tib anterior and calves and it sure is helping. I didn’t cycle this summer at all and I fatigue earlier. The top of my fibula looks broken because it’s very prominent. My issue has always been attachment pain. ie connective tissues… once I warm up and do a lap I’m usually fine.

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
I’m a bit bow legged with an old ankle tendon and ligaments tear, bone chip from high school. My leg and foot are a bit off. The torque or force angle is harder on my right side which consequently is my dominate side but also my injury side. Yup every injury is right sided. I have been working on Strengthening tib anterior and calves and it sure is helping. I didn’t cycle this summer at all and I fatigue earlier. The top of my fibula looks broken because it’s very prominent. My issue has always been attachment pain. ie connective tissues… once I warm up and do a lap I’m usually fine.
@MissySki … no problem I’m used to it. Hope to see you at Kton

MissySki

Angel Diva
Yeah, that definitely sounds like additional challenges beyond the typical. It’s tough when anatomy and injury history play into things since it’s so unique of a situation.

Soujan

Angel Diva
Really any exercise is better than no exercise. Anyone that starts an exercise regime will see some sort of improvement in strength and endurance. Consistency is the key. I strength train 4 times a week and do some sort of intense cardio once a week. My training regime is quite insane but you don't have do do anything crazy. Just be consistent and make sure that you do something that challenges you. I speak to a lot of people about fitness. A lot of people either quit after a sort period of time because its too hard. Other people will quit because of the exact opposite. They will do exercises that are not challenging enough and then quit because they saw no improvement. You have to challenge yourself enough and then find the will to keep going. I focus on what my goals are and that's how I stay motivated.

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Both my husband and I have been surprised how much better we are skiing after getting a Peloton 2 years ago. A bunch of my ski friends have even gotten one after seeing how much better I am skiing (not form but able to crush a full bump run rather than stopping for breaks and do longer days). I did not used to do HIIT type workouts - but do now.
I’m sure there are a bajillion different ways to get a similar workout- but for us it has really helped.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
I also find that spinning has been endlessly valuable for my stamina, fitness and comfort.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Really any exercise is better than no exercise. Anyone that starts an exercise regime will see some sort of improvement in strength and endurance. Consistency is the key. I strength train 4 times a week and do some sort of intense cardio once a week. My training regime is quite insane but you don't have do do anything crazy. Just be consistent and make sure that you do something that challenges you. I speak to a lot of people about fitness. A lot of people either quit after a sort period of time because its too hard. Other people will quit because of the exact opposite. They will do exercises that are not challenging enough and then quit because they saw no improvement. You have to challenge yourself enough and then find the will to keep going. I focus on what my goals are and that's how I stay motivated.
Agree.

I get bored easily. For me, having a variety of ways to do ski conditioning helps. At times, I do more with TRX. At others I use the machines at my fitness center. Short routines that last 15 minutes are more likely to be repeated often enough to be useful. Can be for flexibility and balance based on yoga or pilates or tai chi. Using a BOSU or a Swiss ball is another approach.

Wanting to be in shape by early December for skiing is the general motivation for getting back into some form of deliberate exercise by September. Assuming not much was happening during the summer months.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna