• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Brighton or Solitude or None?

Flowergirl88

Certified Ski Diva
I'm heading to Alta on 4/14 and recruited a friend to come with me to join up with other folks at Alta! She's comfortable on green runs and may be able to start working on blue runs. I was thinking of doing a day at either Brighton or Solitude when we arrive, and then heading to Alta for three days of skiing. I'm wondering if either Brighton or Solitude would be crowded on a Saturday... and therefore, not worth our time (except that it's included on the Ikon Base Pass and would save us a day of lift tickets at Alta out of pocket!).

And if you think it would be worth it to go with the crowds at Brighton or Solitude, which one would you recommend? While my friend's just starting to get ready on blues, I'm comfortable on blues and finally dipping my toes on blacks (Steamboat was a success in late January!!!).

Both of us are thinking of taking lessons and they are slightly cheaper at Brighton and Solitude than Alta.

What is your opinion on this whole plan? :smile: THANK YOU!

Flowergirl88

Certified Ski Diva
Great news on steamboat being a success! I won’t know but curious what answers you’ll get!
Thank you! I was THRILLED!!!!!!!! My kids went on one lesson and the instructor did some mega magic. The girls were suddenly doing great parallel skiing and it was like something clicked. The guy was from Santiago, Chile and he said "Your kids can totally do black runs now!" I was like, WHAAAAAAAAA! And for sure, their form was looking pretty good. Now I need lessons!!! I can't do black runs as well as they can and can barely figure out what to do with my poles! :smile:

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
I'm heading to Alta on 4/14 and recruited a friend to come with me to join up with other folks at Alta! She's comfortable on green runs and may be able to start working on blue runs. I was thinking of doing a day at either Brighton or Solitude when we arrive, and then heading to Alta for three days of skiing. I'm wondering if either Brighton or Solitude would be crowded on a Saturday... and therefore, not worth our time (except that it's included on the Ikon Base Pass and would save us a day of lift tickets at Alta out of pocket!).

And if you think it would be worth it to go with the crowds at Brighton or Solitude, which one would you recommend? While my friend's just starting to get ready on blues, I'm comfortable on blues and finally dipping my toes on blacks (Steamboat was a success in late January!!!).

Both of us are thinking of taking lessons and they are slightly cheaper at Brighton and Solitude than Alta.

What is your opinion on this whole plan? :smile: THANK YOU!
Brighton is a really fun place! I haven't been to Solitude, but from what I've heard, Solitude might be harder for a beginner. Brighton has a lot of nice beginner and intermediate runs, and also some cool easy gladed runs.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Agree that from a terrain standpoint Brighton is better for a beginner than Solitude. On the other hand, the Solitude ski school may be a better fit for a traveler. I have no doubt that Brighton has a good ski school but they cater more towards locals and school kids who go weekly.

I would guess that there are far more Level 3 instructors teaching Beginner/Intermediate adult group lessons at Alta than at Solitude or Brighton. My friends who have done those lessons in the last decade were generally quite happy.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Saturday is a busy day at both Soli and Brighton. The season will be winding down at both, so parking should not be a huge issue, but Solitude kiosk pay is usually reliable. Solitude has fewer snowboarders. Consider Brighton if you get a late start and want to ski late---daylight savings and evening skiing that time of year is quite marvelous.

Flowergirl88

Certified Ski Diva
Agree that from a terrain standpoint Brighton is better for a beginner than Solitude. On the other hand, the Solitude ski school may be a better fit for a traveler. I have no doubt that Brighton has a good ski school but they cater more towards locals and school kids who go weekly.

I would guess that there are far more Level 3 instructors teaching Beginner/Intermediate adult group lessons at Alta than at Solitude or Brighton. My friends who have done those lessons in the last decade were generally quite happy.
Hmm... since you know how I ski ... do you think I would be happier at Solitude or Brighton? ;) I'm thinking that my friend would like Brighton better, I'm just considered about the number of snowboarders and maybe the bigger crowds? Though I guess itl'll be spring time, so maybe not so crowded anymore? I'm definitely considering lessons at Alta as well for one of the days.... so maybe skip lessons at Brighton/Solitude for me, but have my friend do lessons?

Flowergirl88

Certified Ski Diva
Saturday is a busy day at both Soli and Brighton. The season will be winding down at both, so parking should not be a huge issue, but Solitude kiosk pay is usually reliable. Solitude has fewer snowboarders. Consider Brighton if you get a late start and want to ski late---daylight savings and evening skiing that time of year is quite marvelous.
I was thinking that we would take the new Cottonwood shuttle that picks up at the Marriott Residence Inn at Sandy for $10 RT. The only thing with this is that night skiing would be totally out of the question because the last return is at 5:30 PM. Do you think both Solitude and Brighton would have fewer people and not the crazy crowds on a normal Saturday since it's end of season?

Flowergirl88

Certified Ski Diva
Hmm..there's also the UTA bus that runs close to the Hyatt and Residence Inn in cottonwoods that could take us to Brighton and return later in the day for night skiing. Maybe we WILL do that instead. What do you think?

Flowergirl88

Certified Ski Diva
O
Hmm..there's also the UTA bus that runs close to the Hyatt and Residence Inn in cottonwoods that could take us to Brighton and return later in the day for night skiing. Maybe we WILL do that instead. What do you think?
oooh! I just called the Residence Inn! They said that the bus does run right by the hotel, so this is a great option! And then we can take the Cottonwood Connect shuttle to Alta two days later for overnight stay!

Flowergirl88

Certified Ski Diva
Oh... nevermind. I called Brighton today. After April 8th, there's no more night skiing.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hmm... since you know how I ski ... do you think I would be happier at Solitude or Brighton? ;) I'm thinking that my friend would like Brighton better, I'm just considered about the number of snowboarders and maybe the bigger crowds? Though I guess itl'll be spring time, so maybe not so crowded anymore? I'm definitely considering lessons at Alta as well for one of the days.... so maybe skip lessons at Brighton/Solitude for me, but have my friend do lessons?
Personally, I like Brighton better because of the layout. Figuring out how to get around Solitude takes a little more time.

The issue in April for Brighton is that if it's warm, the run outs to the lifts are pretty flat and can get sticky. I wouldn't make a decision about where to ski much more than a week before. Weather is a major factor to consider. Even possible that a spring snowstorm could be a factor. The most snow in 24 hours I've skied at Alta came on April 15 . . . 26 inches by 9am and it was still snowing hard all morning for a total of 34 inches.

Flowergirl88

Certified Ski Diva
Personally, I like Brighton better because of the layout. Figuring out how to get around Solitude takes a little more time.

The issue in April for Brighton is that if it's warm, the run outs to the lifts are pretty flat and can get sticky. I wouldn't make a decision about where to ski much more than a week before. Weather is a major factor to consider. Even possible that a spring snowstorm could be a factor. The most snow in 24 hours I've skied at Alta came on April 15 . . . 26 inches by 9am and it was still snowing hard all morning for a total of 34 inches.
Ohhhh!!! Okay thanks!!! I should tell Alta I definitely want the last two nights and I won't know about the first night until the week before. Hopefully the room won't be gone! I'll book the refundable hotel for Cottonwood for the first two nights in case Brighton doesn't work out! It's making me tired just thinking about it and thinking we should just head to Alta and let it be!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Ohhhh!!! Okay thanks!!! I should tell Alta I definitely want the last two nights and I won't know about the first night until the week before. Hopefully the room won't be gone! I'll book the refundable hotel for Cottonwood for the first two nights in case Brighton doesn't work out! It's making me tired just thinking about it and thinking we should just head to Alta and let it be!
Yep, for spring skiing it's a lot easier to just take the airport shuttle to Alta Lodge and relax. That way, weather is much less of a factor. If it's warm and then cool overnight, can just head out a little later after the snow softens. Meaning 10:00 or 10:30 instead of 9:15 or 9:30. If it stays warm overnight, then can head out first thing and stop by 2:00 or whenever the lower mountain snow isn't fun anymore. If there is a powder storm . . . can ski all day. :smile:

Without a car, getting around SLC to ski in more than one canyon is complicated. Only reason I've done that during a stay at Alta Lodge is that Bill drives to SLC so that his car is available for day trips.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Funny how everyone has different experiences. I far prefer Solitude over Brighton.

In mid March 2018 my husband and I went to Utah and stayed at Solitude. Despite it being a low snow year we loved the trails, quiet village and subdued apres. We skied over to Brighton twice and didn’t care for it at all - it was mobbed compared to Solitude and full of kids and snowboarders (sorry to my one boarded peeps) and that was a weekday.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Funny how everyone has different experiences. I far prefer Solitude over Brighton.

In mid March 2018 my husband and I went to Utah and stayed at Solitude. Despite it being a low snow year we loved the trails, quiet village and subdued apres. We skied over to Brighton twice and didn’t care for it at all - it was mobbed compared to Solitude and full of kids and snowboarders (sorry to my one boarded peeps) and that was a weekday.
Agree that Solitude has fewer local kids and teens than Brighton. Especially after school is out for the day.

Following @Scribble around in her favorite trees at Brighton opened up an entire section the last time I was there. I like the Brighton tree areas. I'm not a fan of steep groomers, which is an advantage for Solitude. While Honeycomb Canyon can be fun, it's really only good once or twice in a day because of the lift layout. I find I end up doing more skiing at Brighton.

Staying slopeside at Solitude would change the situation completely. The OP is thinking of staying in town and taking public transportation to BCC.

Chuyi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Night skiing at Brighton ends April 8.
Solitude spin hours changed 9-5p.
Parking depends on when you arrive. At brighton/solitude at 1p u should b OK. If not you can park at 6200 Park&Ride take bus up the BCC. If your friend has not been to Utah & is a lowlander u may want not want 2 go up from airport to high altitude. Brighton has a better layout 4 beginner. The lower mountain lift is a slow one so it's respite 4 beginner trying to breathe at 9k feet.
Brighton is the local mountain with families & young adults.
Solitude lower mountain is friendly. Upper mountain is steeper & more intense crew.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
I really liked the Brighton tree areas, too. They were really fun, and many have widely spaced trees that are not steep, so fun for someone who hasn't skied trees much.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna