• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Breckenridge mid May?

Lmk92

Angel Diva
I really wanted to take advantage of our EPIC passes out west while we have them, but with weird college schedules and covid in general, we've not been able to do that. Classes end the second week in May, and we may be able to get a quick trip in mid May. What would conditions be like there at that time?

marzNC

Angel Diva
In general most Colorado resorts are pretty far behind the average for snow pack. Having done a trip out west in mid-May to resorts (OR, CA) during a season with a deeper than usual snow pack, I doubt it would be worth the expense to travel to Breck this May. Might be close to the all-time low by then.

Even when a resort is open after April, often only a few lifts are running. Snowbird typically starts closing lifts in mid-April, which is when Allta stops 7-day operations. For Snowbird, it's not a reaction to snowpack, but a business reality that fewer people bother to ski by late April no matter how much snow is left on the upper mountain or groomers that had snowmaking in early season. The same is true for Killington during late, late season.

Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 11.13.28 AM.png

Bookworm

Angel Diva
A-Basin, which is part of Ikon, is known for late-Spring skiing. Not sure about this year, but might be worth looking into.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Keep an eye on the March / April snow and decide in a month or so. While we're below average now, we have had mediocre seasons with phenomenal spring snowfall that would still make a mid-May trip fun (2013 was like this I believe).

It also depends what you're looking for. When I was back east I was happy to take a May trip and just ski sloppy spring snow and go on some nice hikes and just be in the mountains. YMMV.

Here's a good graph. 2011 was an all time amazing snow year (really good skiing through most of May), 2012 was an all time bad snow year (A-Basin closed the first week of May), and 2013 was very meh with a very fun spring. Here's where to see this graph for this year. Should see a nice bump after this upcoming week!
https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrcs/detail/co/snow/products/?cid=nrcs144p2_063323
Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 9.35.10 AM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Keep an eye on the March / April snow and decide in a month or so. While we're below average now, we have had mediocre seasons with phenomenal spring snowfall that would still make a mid-May trip fun (2013 was like this I believe).

It also depends what you're looking for. When I was back east I was happy to take a May trip and just ski sloppy spring snow and go on some nice hikes and just be in the mountains. YMMV.
Good point about waiting until April to plan to ski trip in May. I didn't plan my May trip until mid-April. Helped that my ski buddy Bill was willing to pick me up in Boise and that we have good friends who live in southern Oregon. Since it was just a matter of me buying a plane ticket and finding lodging, the planning process was pretty simple.

just jane

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Keystone might be a better bet that late in the season. It’s higher altitude than Breck, and usually opens earlier and stays open later. Vail just announced that they’re extending closing dates for the front range resorts into April, but unless this incoming storm is the start of a trend of spring storms, Breck is extremely likely to be closed by May. Keystone is only moderately more likely to be open. In short, I don’t think this is the year to plan a May trip to Colorado.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
Keystone might be a better bet that late in the season. It’s higher altitude than Breck, and usually opens earlier and stays open later. Vail just announced that they’re extending closing dates for the front range resorts into April, but unless this incoming storm is the start of a trend of spring storms, Breck is extremely likely to be closed by May. Keystone is only moderately more likely to be open. In short, I don’t think this is the year to plan a May trip to Colorado.
Again, I don't want to "like" the post, but I really appreciate the info. Sigh. I was really hoping to take full advantage of our EPIC passes, but it looks like this just wasn't the year. I'm happy I got them, though, because I do think we saved a little bit of money going to the places we were able to go.

just jane

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, I’m sorry! It’s just been a bad year. DH and I have both said that if we’d known it was going to be such a bad snow year, in addition to COVID, we probably wouldn’t have gotten passes this year. Neither thing on it’s own would have been sufficient to skip a year, but the combo has been a lot to deal with. Ah well.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Keystone might be a better bet that late in the season. It’s higher altitude than Breck, and usually opens earlier and stays open later. ...

Breck has already announced their closing date as 5/31, so, while it may be just a few sloppy runs, they are planning to be open. After A-Basin left the Epic Pass, Vail Resorts doubled down on the late season at Breck so they have a competing product. Similarly, they now push to get Keystone open as early as possible, also to compete with A-Basin.

I've never skied Breck late season (this year will be the first year I do!) but I understand they keep the high alpine stuff open and from what I heard it was pretty good 2 years ago (which is the first year Vail didn't have A-Basin and did the late season thing at Breck).

Breck is also higher than Keystone, but it's aspect isn't quite as good for late season... kind of NE vs Keystone's north. But it's gotta be the best option for late season skiing in general since that's the resort Vail picked for late season ops.

Last edited:

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
Any idea which peaks will still be open?

I was there in late April 2 years ago, the first year Breck had a late season. After the regular “close” on April 21st, only Peak 7 was open. Even though I only ski blues there was enough terrain for me. Snow was skiable well into the early afternoon. I had planned to go again in April last year, but COVID happened. This year I’m definitely going back right after tax season. I hope all the peaks will still be open but any of them has enough terrain for me.

newboots

Angel Diva
There’s always Killington!

They have a very deep base, thanks to multiple big storms. And they were reportedly blowing snow late last week. Maybe Covid won’t stop Killy from extending their season.

Alas, not on the Epic pass.

newboots

Angel Diva
Whoa! Never mind Killington! I was just innocently putting off going to sleep, when I read this thread and looked up flights to Denver, for the helluvit. $178 from Newark to Denver, RT! At last, a use for the Epic pass! Breck, is it time we met?

I’m going to check out lodging. Wahoo!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna