• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Breaking in boots

newbieM

Angel Diva
I finally got a new pair of boots! My old boots I purchased used and they were too big so my feet were floating around. I just felt like I outgrew them after three seasons.

I went for a boot fitting and worked through some boot recommendations and ended up getting a killer deal for new ones that were last season’s model of Atomic Hawx Prime 95. They were snug and tight but nothing was numb or hurting when I had them on at the store.

They did the heat mold for the liner and made some minor adjusting. When I’m standing my toes are touching the front. They aren’t crushed but they certainly don’t feel comfortable touching the front. They said once I break them in more that shouldn’t happen.

when I’m skiing and in the proper position and not in the back seat my toes don’t touch the front of the boot and my heel feels firmly in place. So I assume that means I’m the right size.

My first day out with them I rented Powder skis since there was so much fresh powder. I was already sore from 2 days of skiing (and getting stuck in hip high powder the day before so I was pretty sore and tired)

I couldn’t tell if they were any more responsive but they were certainly A LOT more snug than my previous boots which were a whole size larger.

all day long I kept making the buckles tighter and looser. I couldn’t figure out how to get comfortable. My feet hurt, my calves hurt, everything hurt.

So how is breaking in boots supposed to work? Did I get the wrong boots?

I am hoping to go back to the boot fitter in 2 weeks to get them tweaked some more such as punch out the bunion since my middle toes on that foot feel like they are getting crushed.

also, frozen toes, how do I know if it’s because it’s cold vs because the boots don’t fit?

Jilly

Staff member
So, that is not the way to break in new boots. You need to be on familiar terrain and ski. I was ready to die the first day out in my new boots this year. I worked through where does it hurt, so I could map out the area for the boot fitter. After 2 trips in, we're good now. Except for my boot heaters. I'm not happy where they put the heaters...New footbeds are in my future and that will be fixed.

Bunions...PITA. Get that looked after for sure.

newbieM

Angel Diva
So, that is not the way to break in new boots. You need to be on familiar terrain and ski. I was ready to die the first day out in my new boots this year. I worked through where does it hurt, so I could map out the area for the boot fitter. After 2 trips in, we're good now. Except for my boot heaters. I'm not happy where they put the heaters...New footbeds are in my future and that will be fixed.

Bunions...PITA. Get that looked after for sure.
Ya I know but it was a powder day and I didn’t want to wear my old boots. It was too many variables to figure out what was causing what. I was just hoping for a miraculous day.

I’m hoping one or two more tweaks and it can feel better.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
Do you have the OEM ”footmat”? A standard footbed? A custom footbed?

Also, my boots are fantastic, like I can ski comfortably for HOURS but there have been mornings this season where a touch of anxiety has made my arch painfully cramp up. I find that if I REALLLLLLY pull my toes up consciously it helps a lot.

Also, remember, you were sore, you’re at altitude, right? the story about wading out of the powder reminded me of something that scarred me in my 20s.

You might need more hydration and electrolytes. What I’ve heard is - ski with the new boots, but have a sharpie in your bag. When you get out of the boots, mark EVERYWHERE that is hurting and take a pic. Then you know exactly where the issues are when you go in for tweaks.

Last thing. You know I’m obsessed with the Patriot Footbeds Bootorials. Have you watched his “how to buckle your boots” video? I got a good tweak on my process from that and it helped… fwiw.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My current boots are awesome but still needed more work the first time I skiied them. I had navicular and bunion punches done and insisted on increasing the bunion punches before skiing them because I know my feet can't cope with "ski and adjust" on bunions that well - they get red and swell. Even though that was something I knew, I still needed more space on the right for the bunion and bunionette there, and have probably worsened my bunionettes because I couldn't get into the fitter that trip and had to wait another 3 ski days. Mark the sore areas and go back to your fitter.

Feet do get cold in powder anyway because you're constantly in snow. Might be the boots, might be the conditions...hard to know until you go back

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna