• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Bra trees

Lilgeorg

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My favorite ski area just sprouted a brand new "bra tree". I am not sure if ski areas outside of the US have this tradition, but at some ski areas there are trees that skiers throw panties and bras into. I have never seen a boxer short tree, only bra trees. So what do Divas think about this and do other countries have different customs??

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm not a fan. I'm not a prude or anything... I just don't like my pretty snowy view from the lift marred by a tattered pair of granny panties.

I don't so much mind the bead trees, well they don't bother me as much, because they look like Xmas trees sort of.

When I was at Mont Sutton there was a big tree that had a uber-cool wrought-iron sculpture of a big bird in a nest. It kinda blended into the tree, and looked like it was made of driftwood. It was beeeyewteeful!

K.

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Never seen a bra tree/panty tree around here...I only knew of their existence from epic. Haven't branched out to the 'trees decorated with underwear' level resorts yet :rolleyes:

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not much for the bra tree, either. I just think it looks like someone emptied out their trash can. So no, I'm not a fan.

Have seen bead trees in other areas; I remember one in Steamboat, and I'm sure I've seen them in other places, too. They don't bother me quite so much.

skigirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't like them. Some of the hidious things I've seen hanging from trees should not even be worn under clothes let alone be displayed in public!! I always ask myself why, when ever I see one.

Quiver Queen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think they look disgusting. Maybe they wouldn't look so bad to me if the pieces started out, and stayed, new looking, but the pieces end up looking like they'd been worn for three months without washing. Last spring for the first time I saw a pair of men's underwear in a tree, but, to make matters worse, this was a pair of grayish briefs with strategically placed chunky brown--am I the only one thinking this is a little sick?

eng_ch

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What a strange concept! I mean, the mind boggles - what do these people do? Bring bras with them especially? Or strip off to do it? That must be a tad chilly... Suffice to say, it's not something I've ever heard of before, let alone seen in Europe

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
What's the deal with the bra trees, anyways? Do people just throw bras on them whenever? I always kind of assumed the mountain had some kind of party (mardi gras) that led to the bra trees.

Lola

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
At the risk of being controversal - I don't mind them at all. :smile: I actually think it's kinda funny - and the responses from people here, very interesting. I wonder . . . . . if there was a sock tree, would people get as upset? or what about a headband tree? or a ball cap tree? But no, my guess is that people don't like the bras. Oh well. How many times around our neighborhoods have we seen sneakers tied together and thrown over telephone lines? For how many centuries have women been objectified sexually? How many women actually are proud to have thier bras and panties on the tree?

Not to sound cynical . . . but I sometimes wonder if humans beings will ever change? I bet if they had bras in Roman times, there would have been plenty of them strung around the colloseium.

So - I decided long ago that I wasn't going to ruin my day because someone else can't drive - and I'm sure as heck not going to ruin my skiing time because there are bras, panties, beads (or anything else), displayed on a tree.

Hope you don't mind a contrary opinion . . . . :D I luv the Divas!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm closer in agreement with lola than any one else so far. I guess I think the Bra/panty tree's are a bit humorous.

There are far worse things to be exposed to while skiing. Now on to the next question..................What diva has had an article of lingerie added to a bra/panty tree.

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Like I said, I haven't encountered one, so I dunno how they look or anything, but I do know that I wouldn't want to give up a nice bra!

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have heard that sneakers over phone lines= drug dealer in residence but i wouldn't know from experience

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There's a frat house downtown where a pair of sneakers are tossed up into a sneaker tree every time the brothers learn that two of them have, uh, shared the same woman. I only know this because it was published in the newspaper. It skeeves me out, to use a very technical phrase.

Lilgeorg

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sneakers in trees seem to have many meanings. There is a tree on our favorite hang gliding hill that sprouts sneakers in memorial to a pilot who used to shout "Throw your shoes" as people were landing after a good flight. He was a great skier too and is sorely missed.

So THAT'S what that was!!!!!! OMG!!! :D

I saw my first bra & bead tree in Taos during our vacation there in early January! I nearly fell off the tree trying to get pictures of it!!! :p

Neither one of us had ever seen one of those, so it was a bit shocking! But I must say....we both laughed our heads off! Who has boobs THAT big!!!! MY GOSH!!!

So I guess we're from the school of funny....at least the first time you see one!

I'd rather look at pretty white snow on trees. :smile:

....oops.....I nearly fell off the CHAIR not the tree! :D

I'm not perverted enough to climb a tree to take a picture of that! :p (but I am perverted enough to try to get a picture from the chair!):D

Liquid Yellow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Since having this thread pointed out to me, I can now safely assume it's just a US thing.

Never heard of it in Europe, thankfully.

I wouldn't want to see people's grubby bras and scruffy kecks hanging all over a tree, ta very much.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, that's how I feel. I don't care if it's bras or socks or neck ties. I just think it looks like a garbage dump.

I don't mind it when the "decorations" are from the same season, especially if it's pretty lingerie. :smile: But seeing trees with worn and twisted bras and necklaces from several seasons ago is not very aesthetic. We have a tree like that under our main lift at Berkshire East and it looks like crap. And it will take a long ladder or something creative to get up there to remove everything!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna