• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: BP 88 and 82 (new 2020)

Elisa

Diva in Training
I'm a solid intermediate skier wondering if these might be a good ski for me. I'm 5' 2" @128lbs ski mostly Mammoth & West coast. Currently on a Rossi Temptation 88, way too stiff & too much ski for me. Ruined my confidence skiing this season. Suggestions would be appreciated, also length recommendations. In my early 60's, don't need a hard charging ski, just something I don't need to work so hard to enjoy.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Welcome! Since it's summer time, it will take a while for folks to notice your question. Next time might be better in Ski Gear instead of Gear Reviews. Perhaps Mod can move it later.

How did you choose the Temptation 88? What length? Are they the same length as skis you used before? Are you cruising groomers or exploring ungroomed terrain in good conditions?

I'm your age and a bit more petite, have became a solid advanced skier in recent years with the help of very experienced instructors and lots of mileage. Probably a bit stronger and I happen to like Rossi skis in general. I bought the original Black Pearl a while back but it's quite different from the BP88, which I also like but in short lengths, either 145cm or 152cm. I also like the Head Joy line.

Are you planning to demo before making a purchase?

There are Nordica skis that you might like. The two lines are Astral and Santa Anna and they come in different widths. K2 is a line I liked as an intermediate. They are coming out with a brand new line. Might be some deals on the Luv series. But I don't remember which models are designed for intermediates.

Jilly

Staff member
I dumped my Temptation 88's a couple of years ago. Mine were the first year model. As you say stiff. To add to marzNC's list the Atomic Vantage or Vantage X series.

Elisa

Diva in Training
Welcome! Since it's summer time, it will take a while for folks to notice your question. Next time might be better in Ski Gear instead of Gear Reviews. Perhaps Mod can move it later.

How did you choose the Temptation 88? What length? Are they the same length as skis you used before? Are you cruising groomers or exploring ungroomed terrain in good conditions?

I'm your age and a bit more petite, have became a solid advanced skier in recent years with the help of very experienced instructors and lots of mileage. Probably a bit stronger and I happen to like Rossi skis in general. I bought the original Black Pearl a while back but it's quite different from the BP88, which I also like but in short lengths, either 145cm or 152cm. I also like the Head Joy line.

Are you planning to demo before making a purchase?

There are Nordica skis that you might like. The two lines are Astral and Santa Anna and they come in different widths. K2 is a line I liked as an intermediate. They are coming out with a brand new line. Might be some deals on the Luv series. But I don't remember which models are designed for intermediates.
It's a funny story how I ended up on the Temp 88. It's a 152 btw. It was my first foray to newer skis after a decade on a k2 Axis XT 162 (they're only 67 under foot!). A friend considered me advanced & I got the Rossi's on the cheap. Struggled all season thinking it's a learning curve. I seriously considered retiring from skiing!

I am typically a frontside skier with some off piste if we get freshies. I used to actually ski quite well, even a bit of racing. Would love to progress more towards all mountain, but thinking I should stay < 88 underfoot?

All the new technology has me bewildered. Yes I plan to demo but of course it's a long way off. Trying to get my homework done before the next season.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Temp 88. It's a 152 btw. It was my first foray to newer skis after a decade on a k2 Axis XT 162 (they're only 67 under foot!). A friend considered me advanced & I got the Rossi's on the cheap. Struggled all season thinking it's a learning curve. I seriously considered retiring from skiing!

I am typically a frontside skier with some off piste if we get freshies.
Ah, from 67 to 88 is quite a jump! Glad you didn't give up on skiing.

I used to actually ski quite well, even a bit of racing. Would love to progress more towards all mountain, but thinking I should stay < 88 underfoot?
Have you always skied out west?

What did you think of skiing with 10cm less length? First time I was on relatively short "shaped skis" was in 200. It felt weird but I could suddenly make parallel turns a lot easier. I was only an intermediate skiing for a few days every few years back then. But learned to ski on straight skis long as a teen. My too-wide stance on straight skis was perfect for a more modern design.

I wouldn't give up on skis 88-90 underfoot quite yet. But there is something to be said for mid-80s for all-mountain as your only skis when staying on groomers most of the time. I went from the old Black Pearls to the Stöckli Stormrider 85 a couple years ago. Demo'd a fair number of skis over a few years from various brands in the mid-80s before making a decision. I don't worry about why a ski should, or shouldn't, work for me based on reviews or written descriptions. I like demo'ing and tend to learn more from the skis I don't like than the ones I do.

Keep looking around the TSD archives from the last couple years. There are some good threads with suggestions for skis in the category you're thinking about. Pay attention to the date a thread was crested though. No point to read info that's about skis you won't be able to buy because they are obsolete.

Have you found the Gearipedia? Good reading in those reference threads. But keep asking questions as you think of them.

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?forums/gearipedia.49/

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey @Elisa ! Nice to see you here. Keep posting--more than 25 posts will give you access to the "diva only" threads. :wave:

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good luck in your new ski hunt! :smile: I'm an intermediate skier of similar height to you (5'3, 115-120lb). Southern hemisphere so I've been able to ski on the new 2020 skis. Recently picked up the 2020 BP88 in 159cm for east coast type conditions after demoing about ten different skis. I'm not a particularly strong skier and found for example the new mindbender 88ti to be too stiff and too much work for me, but I find the BP88 is an easy, fun and confidence-inspiring ski. Unfortunately no one here is stocking the BP82 so I haven't been able to try that one. To add to everyone else's suggestions - I also really enjoyed the Head Total Joy which is getting into the all mountain category at 85mm, and the Dynastar Legend 84W just felt like such a friendly easy ski (might be worth trying the 88 version of that if you are planning to demo, not sure how much stiffer it is though).

I definitely recommend demoing if possible because what I read about the skis I tried didn't always line up with my experiences with them!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly