• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Boots with walk mode

SkiNY

Diva in Training
I should have added, because I had only lightly healed blisters at the time I was doing my class, I used liquid bandage and covered with KT tape under the knee highs. I don't actually know which part was the true winner, but it was all so easy that I haven't experimented with only part and not the others etc.
I think a combo of things would be good. Our problem is we didn’t do anything until the blisters got bad. This year we’ll be smarter about it.

SkiNY

Diva in Training
When I was buying new boots after a 12 year hiatus from skiing, my boot fitter asked what type of skiing I would be doing. I explained I was getting back into the sport so I could ski with my little kids, then ages 5 & 7 and didn't need or want anything very technical and was price sensitive. He noted that I would be spending half of my time standing and taking them to the bathroom and food breaks, which was true. I ended up getting a 3 buckle middle of the road set of boots that had a walk mode. I think they were around $250 back in 2008 and yes, they were not the most technical but they offered me enough that I could ski on my own at Wachusett and still be able to walk relatively easy when dealing with my kids. They were comfortable to stand and walk in and kept my feet warm, which sounds like something she would appreciate. Unless your daughter is done growing, I would not spend a ton on boots at this point. Take her to a good boot fitter and explain what her needs are, including the cost, and see what they say. Just my 2 cents.
Luckily she seems to be done growing…

brooksnow

Angel Diva
I have had walk mode for years and really appreciate it. With a click they take me from the littlest beginners to adults in the steeps and bumps. Last season I got Dalbello Panterra 105 boots with walk mode and gripwalk. Wow, walking is even more comfortable with both. The shape of the gripwalk sole makes a big difference on hard surfaces.

I'll second the footbed suggestion. It's a very important part of a good boot fit.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
3rd the footbed recommendation, particularly because of where the blister is located. It sounds like she may have a low volume foot that is lifting off the existing footbed when she moves, and I highly doubt walk mode is going to fix that issue. What I’ve found is that a lot of walking without walk mode leads to cranky calf muscles. To me, it sounds like she needs a better fitting boot.

SkiNY

Diva in Training
I have had walk mode for years and really appreciate it. With a click they take me from the littlest beginners to adults in the steeps and bumps. Last season I got Dalbello Panterra 105 boots with walk mode and gripwalk. Wow, walking is even more comfortable with both. The shape of the gripwalk sole makes a big difference on hard surfaces.

I'll second the footbed suggestion. It's a very important part of a good boot fit.
Thanks brooksnow, I’ll look into the Dalbellos.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Today’s hybrid/AT boot’s walk feature is a far cry from the walk feature on recreational boots from years ago. I’m on my 3rd pair of Lange XTs, and they are “real deal”, low volume boots.

Properly fitted boots, with or without walk functionality will do much for her issue.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have the Lange XT3s. The walk mode makes a difference, and also the boots seem much lighter than regular alpine boots. That would be a nice feature when teaching if it involves a lot of walking around.

You can buy regular alpine soles for them and they are easy-peasy to screw on. I did so because most of my bindings are not g/w compatible.

Would she qualify for any sort of discount on boots, being an instructor?

SkiNY

Diva in Training
Hi all. I want to update you on my daughters boots. We got her the Dalbellos. She really likes them and has had no blistering. She only has 1 class with real young skiers so not as much walking but when she used the walk mode she said it really helped and was more “comfortable”. Thank you for the ideas.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna