• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Boots - is there a difference between beginner/intermediate/advanced?

m185

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi again.

I was curious if there was much difference in boots based on ability?

I fell in love skiing in 2007 (my first ski trip at 36) and the ski instructor we had said that if I was to invest in only one thing to go get boots fitted the next time we went skiing and have us the name & address of someone who really knew the business. I loved skiing but I am a chicken - at that time I vowed that I'd never go down a black run figuring that a new skier had no business trying to manage that sort of skiing!

Well we told the bootfitter in 2008 that I was an advanced beginner - and that I had no plans to EVER ski a black run. 3 days later my instructor was taking me down black runs...never telling me until the day was over that 1/2 my skiing had been down black runs and the one that I had said was "quite" challenging and actually been my first double black diamond...

My question is - does this matter to the boots? I like my boots - don't remember the model but they are by Head but he said at the time that if I did improve my skiing would outgrow the boots...how is this the case? I've now done about 22 days on the snow with them and since they aren't cheap am not going to get rid of them (especially since I even did the custom footbeds).

The boots aren't comfortable - but they are not hell like most rentals where and they are much warmer I find that going with rentals. They were more comfortable the first two weeks of skiing but they seemed to "grow" extra room in them which made them somehow less comfortable to ski in (or am I nuts).

Also how long do boots last? When I bought them the boot fitter said that based on my description of my skiing and the kind of boots I was buying he was say that 100-150days was the max before the boots were too packed out...but he also said if I became a more agressive skier then I would pack them out faster!

I understand that basic differences between the skis for beginners/intermediate/and advanced skiers but hadn't thought about the boots much.

Thanks!

persee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I actually once did an "all about boots" write up which covers some of the questions which you hint at. So... here's some basic information.

Often times (right or wrong) when a "boot fitter" asks you what your skier type and motivations are he/she is actually judging, at least in part, whether to fit you with a "comfort", "performance" or "race" fit. These terms refer to how much room there is in the shell, without the liner in it, between the back of your heel and the back of the boot with your naked foot in the shell and your toes lightly touching the front edge of the boot. In general a "race" fit is 1 finger width or less, a "performance" fit is about 1.5 finger widths, and a "comfort" fit is 2 finger widths or more. So this really means how tight the boot fits your foot. So... why is this important: because the closer the fit of the boot (the shell which is what is contacting the ski and thusly controlling it) the better reaction you'll get to movements of your leg/foot and thusly you'll have better control. Kinda like cars - you can get the big plush cadillac which is comfy, but kinda "floats" around corner, or you can get the stiff steering highly responsive Porsche. Generally if you describe yourself as someone who doesn't ski often, or who has no interest in black terrain you will be categorized as a "comfort" fit. More about boot fit later.

Another factor with boots is their "flex index". This is a number which refers to how easily the plastic of the boot can be flexed. By flexing the boot you apply pressure to your skis. The flex index is relative to a brand. So a "70" flex in a Tecnica is not neccessarily the same stiffness as a "70" in a Nordica. But an "80" flex in a nordica is definitely stiffer than a "70" flex, etc. So... what flex for you. That is a very individual thing. much like in skis, generally a "beginner" doesn't get as stiff a boot as an intermediate or expert skier as they are still learning to flex the boots and skis. The flex that is appropriate for you will depend on your ability, musculatur, weight, flexibility of your ankle joint, etc. There is no simple formula to determine this so a good boot fitter can help you find the right flex so that you can flex the boot well to edge your skis, but to ensure you're not "over flexing" a boot that's too soft which could hinder your ability to get precise reaction from your skis.

So... now back to the fit. All ski boot liners "pack out" with time. Just like any "soft" material, the "stuffing" in a liner will compress over time. So therefore your boot will get "bigger" over time, so the looser the fit to begin with, the bigger it will get. Boots that are too loose will not react as well - it will take more exagerated movements to flex the boot and therefore the ski, and your foot will "slosh" around causing many many types of discomfort. Toe bang, shin bang, cramped feet from clenching your feet, and numbness can all result from boots that are too big, even if they felt "comfy" when you got them. Another fact is that many "beginner" skiers don't understant that a skiboot should be "tight" - not agonizingly so - so they will not even attempt to give someone they categorize that way even a performance fit because so many are resistant to it.

So.... as to your bootfitter, what he/she probably was telling you is that he/she fit you in a fairly soft boot with a "comfort" fit, which you have probably outgrown (or will soon) if you continue to pursue more advanced skiing. If it is possible go talk to this bootfitter (or another who is trusted in your area) about your fit and explain that you probably misstated your abilities and intentions when you got the boots and see what he/she might be able to do to help you.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Take a look at the boot articles in the Gearipedia section for additional information, too.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Persee pretty much summed it up.

Fit, flex and cost are the primary concerns for a beginner boot fitting........well, I guess that is the primary concern for all of us, but beginners tend to be fitted looser, with a softer flex, in a less expensive boot.
Hope this is helpful.
:smile:

marzNC

Angel Diva
:bump: from 2009.
Came across this good info as I consider how to deal with packed out liners for the boots I've been using for just over three seasons.

As a petite older woman, I have relatively soft boots for a solid advanced skier. Went with a 3-buckle design to get short cuffs. Second pair I bought from my local boot fitter (in central North Carolina) during late season sales. They were "new old stock" so the price was very good. The shells are fine so I'll probably just get heat moldable replacement liners.

For those who haven't read them and are considering buying boots in the near future, the reference threads mentioned are in the Gearipedia section.

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?forums/gearipedia.49/

marzNC

Angel Diva
Some related info in a recent thread asking about boot flex. In general, soft boots are designed more for beginners and advanced/expert skiers prefer stiff boots. Racers use stiff boots that can be hard to get on and off. A recreational skier who skis < 20 days a year usually prefers a softer boot. But as with fitting ski boots in general, there are a lot of variables and investing time and money working with an experienced boot fitter is the best approach in the long run.

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/boot-flex.22805/

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly