• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Boots for long narrow feet

megslegs

Certified Ski Diva
Hi all,

I am an intermediate skier looking to improve and am buying a new pair of ski boots. My feet are long (US shoe size 12/12.5, Euro 43) I think my ideal length is a 28 or 28.5, and that 27.5 is too short and small in the toe box with women’s boots, but women’s boots don’t come in longer sizes than 27.5. Men’s boots, even narrow ones, just end up too wide in the heel. I have very mangled toes from years of shoes too small in the toes when I was younger, and from running. I find the boot fitters I have visited don’t seem to appreciate my situation and are telling me to go with a 27.5. But I am very nervous about buying a 27.5 as the length just seems too short. Any thoughts or advice?

Jilly

Staff member
I think you should ask around and find a really good bootfitter. From your description it doesn't sound like you've found the right one.

So let's start with where are you?

newboots

Angel Diva
@megslegs -so happy to have you here. My bootfitter says that narrow heels are a problem for many women, the most common problem, in fact.

It might be possible for a good bootfitter to punch out a bit more room for your big toe, if that’s what is touching the front of the boot.
Best of luck, and

:clap::welcome::clap:

megslegs

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks! I am finding that even highly reputable boot fitters all say different things. I can usually hold my own around men who need to explain more than listen, if you know what I mean, but with ski gear it’s intense. So I appreciate affirmation of these details.

Thanks for the warm welcome!!! Excited to be here.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Look into getting into a junior race boot, which are much lower volume and can be easily ground and punched to make room for toes, etc without compromising fit elsewhere. I really should start a thread about my boot fitting journey for the past five years. I FINALLY found the boot I want to marry, and my confidence has gone through the roof as a result.

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just a welcome! Bootfitter I saw this weekend to try to remedy stuff from the other bootfitter said if you ask half a dozen bootfitters the same question you will get 7 answers....differing opinions are the norm it seems

newboots

Angel Diva
Which is why it’s important to see a highly-reputed one. My first bootfitter couldn’t hold a candle to my new one. Both are certified master bootfitters.

elemmac

Angel Diva
Thanks! I am finding that even highly reputable boot fitters all say different things. I can usually hold my own around men who need to explain more than listen, if you know what I mean, but with ski gear it’s intense. So I appreciate affirmation of these details.

Gearheads are passionate people and that can definitely come off as intense. A lot of bootfitting is simply experience. I used to work at a hockey shop, and the process to fit a skate properly is very similar to ski boots. You learn something new each time you fit a boot. The problem is, each bootfitter has different experiences, so they've learned different things...some of these experiences will relate to your feet, many won't. You may need to talk with multiple fitters before you find one that has experience with your type of feet.

Find one that backs up their work, and trust them. Before purchasing boots from them make sure you ask what their return/exchange policy is. If you go off their recommendations, they should back that up and be willing to work with you if the boot doesn't feel right when you get it out on snow.

megslegs

Certified Ski Diva
Hi thanks all for your feedback and welcomes! I ended up finding a pair this morning that I feel good about, after three boot fitters each told me different things. All of your advice are extremely helpful. I have a guaranteed fit so at least if it doesn't work over the next year, I can try again next year. I have slightly different sized feet, and am a bit concerned that the boots I have will have tight spots and be a bit too uncomfy over the long term, but with the guarantee I guess I will at least be able to experiment and learn with some confidence that I can start all over if need be with a different pair. In the end I am glad I decided to listen to the advice from the two boot fitters who seemed to know most about what they were talking about. I got a great deal on a 2018 model that fit better than any other boot. Regardless of what happens, I feel like I at least have something to work with that can help lift me to the next level. Jilly, I would love the name of that boot fitter if you find it!

newboots

Angel Diva
If you have some tight spots, you don't need to wait until next year and buy new boots. The bootfitter can fix that (usually)! You just go back and s/he will make adjustments. It takes some time, but it is so worth it!

They do all kinds of things to the boots. So it's not just a matter of finding the right boot, but making it work.

ETA: After I reread your post, I realized that I may have misunderstood what you wrote. If so, apologies! Sounds like you are in good hands.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly