• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Boots as you head into your 50s

sorcamc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, the max is low volume 98 mm last. Tho these are both smax low volume, the volume is definitely much snugger 3 dimensionally (heel, calf, forefoot, toe box) on the 120. Another interesting feature of both boots that I do like and haven’t seen before is you could probably put a lace in the liner if you wanted a really snug liner fit along the shin.

Attachments

• AA47963D-B996-413F-90B9-4E9E40FBB3EA.jpeg
    AA47963D-B996-413F-90B9-4E9E40FBB3EA.jpeg
    381 KB · Views: 6

MissySki

Angel Diva
Yes, the max is low volume 98 mm last. Tho these are both smax low volume, the volume is definitely much snugger 3 dimensionally (heel, calf, forefoot, toe box) on the 120. Another interesting feature of both boots that I do like and haven’t seen before is you could probably put a lace in the liner if you wanted a really snug liner fit along the shin.

I haven't ever used laces, but have heard that can be beneficial to pull everything in.

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My experience using lace-up zipfit liners is that it adds a little bit of stiffness as well, though I suppose it's possible that's just the zipfits? I haven't ever used them without the laces!

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
At least you can soften to a certain extent though? I don't know if maybe that's the thought process in manufacturing, that high performance boots are often going to be further customized in some capacity.. and having a higher flex can accommodate a larger audience since it can be lessened with a bootfitter versus lower flex being able to be stiffened more.
In theory, but given I have so many issues trying to flex low flex boots, I'm not sure most higher end boots could ever be softened to a degree that would work for me. But I'm sure this is true for most people.

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
At least you can soften to a certain extent though? I don't know if maybe that's the thought process in manufacturing, that high performance boots are often going to be further customized in some capacity.. and having a higher flex can accommodate a larger audience since it can be lessened with a bootfitter versus lower flex being able to be stiffened more.
Other than removing the screws, how would you soften them?

MissySki

Angel Diva
Other than removing the screws, how would you soften them?

You need a bootfitter to work on them. They can remove plastic on the shell to soften further. There are different ways to do it, but once past the screws part of experimenting yourself you definitely want to be working with a bootfitter to move forward. It’s not uncommon in the least to do this. In fact, it’s much preferred to go too stiff than too soft in a boot because the adjustment to less stiff is easy while trying to make a too soft boot stiffer is not.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here are more boot adjustment videos from that guy. He has the best info on the internet about boot work.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here's a video from a different bootfitter about why and how custom footbeds are made. I recommend skiing with these.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In theory, but given I have so many issues trying to flex low flex boots, I'm not sure most higher end boots could ever be softened to a degree that would work for me. But I'm sure this is true for most people.
I know you are a small person, and that may be the determining factor.

But still, I'm wondering what you do in the shop to flex the boot as you check its flexibility. Junior racers can flex their boots, and they are small and light. They probably can flex them in the shop without using speed as an aid.

How do you move your legs, feet, hips, shoulders, and all that when you're checking out the boot's flex?

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
The knowledgeable bootfitter cuts into the plastic where it bends forward. This cannot be undone. This guy knows his stuff. Like so:

And that's the problem....I DID go to a professional bootfitter. Now I don't trust any of them. Is it uncommon to just buy a different pair until I al least learn how to ski better? I hate to drop that kind of cash but I am willing to. I tried on the Atomic hawks ultra 110s ...mens again. They were a lot less stiff, but I know inventory is pretty low here in CT. I may just go North in a few weeks.

MissySki

Angel Diva
And that's the problem....I DID go to a professional bootfitter. Now I don't trust any of them. Is it uncommon to just buy a different pair until I al least learn how to ski better? I hate to drop that kind of cash but I am willing to. I tried on the Atomic hawks ultra 110s ...mens again. They were a lot less stiff, but I know inventory is pretty low here in CT. I may just go North in a few weeks.

The question is, did you go back to that bootfitter with your current issue? They didn’t necessarily do anything wrong by putting you in a boot that turned out to be too stiff for you on snow. This can happen due to miscommunications of your skiing preferences/ability or based on how you looked flexing them in the store vs on snow etc. There should be the expectation on your and your bootfitters end that you will go back for tweaks as needed once you ski them a bit. If you went back and described your issue and he is unwilling to work on the boot to make it right, that’s another story. If you went back and tried something but it didn’t fix the issue, you go back again. You do this until you’ve exhausted the options of what can be done to manipulate the boot to work for you, assuming it’s the right boot otherwise for your foot. Some shops even have a fit gaurantee where if they can’t make it work in the end they will switch you to another boot altogether free of charge. Many years ago now I fell into that gaurantee myself.

Obviously you can always choose to start over with a new boot. I just wouldn’t assume that this will automatically fix everything, sometimes it just trades in one issue for another.. I’ve been there too..

Last edited:

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
The question is, did you go back to that bootfitter with your current issue? They didn’t necessarily do anything wrong by putting you in a boot that turned out to be too stiff for you on snow. This can happen based on miscommunications of your skill level or based on how you looked flexing them in the store etc. There should be the expectation on your and your bootfitters end that you will go back for tweaks as needed once you ski them a bit. If you went back and described tour issue and he is unwilling to work on the boot to make it right, that’s another story.
I did go back, but then didn't ski much and not at all last year. I do think a lot is probably lack of technique etc. I will give them a call and see what happens. Thanks

MissySki

Angel Diva
I did go back, but then didn't ski much and not at all last year. I do think a lot is probably lack of technique etc. I will give them a call and see what happens. Thanks

Since it’s been awhile, maybe it is better to just start over and fresh for the season with something you feel more confident in. Are there other bootfitters around where you live or ski that you want to try? If so, make sure you bring your old boot too so they can assess it and you can specifically let them know what the issues you’ve experienced with them are. If you want to try and work with the old bootfitter further on this boot, I’d express your desire to more aggressively soften the flex at this point. It doesn’t seem like you need to be concerned with going too far with a permanent alteration if you are willing to start over completely anyway.

Sorry, I 100% know how frustrating this stuff can be. And no one wants to waste the season on difficult boots, it can be so very maddening. :(

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
Since it’s been awhile, maybe it is better to just start over and fresh for the season with something you feel more confident in. Are there other bootfitters around where you live or ski that you want to try? If so, make sure you bring your old boot too so they can assess it and you can specifically let them know what the issues you’ve experienced with them are. If you want to try and work with the old bootfitter further on this boot, I’d express your desire to more aggressively soften the flex at this point. It doesn’t seem like you need to be concerned with going too far with a permanent alteration if you are willing to start over completely anyway.

Sorry, I 100% know how frustrating this stuff can be. And no one wants to waste the season on difficult boots, it can be so very maddening. :(
Hmmm great point. Thanks $$

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly