• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Boots as you head into your 50s

sorcamc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
this is all great feedback. I felt last year the stiffness of my boot was pushing me into the backseat at high speed and I had to always fight to get back forward over my skis (but only on the coldest days). I had my boots softened, but then they felt maybe a little too soft to me and I wasn't getting the rebound that I really enjoy- wouldn't it be nice if there was an app like CARV that you could put inside your boot that would do biometric scans on foot shape and how you ski and make a fully digital custom fit boot? I think I am gonna get one of my kids to make this happen..haha

MissySki

Angel Diva
Missy, our feet sound very similar, so the timing of you buying boots is really benefiting me. I found some Mach Pro lv for a steal, One thing I can not see any video of is the "booster strap" on those pros. How does it work? looks like a cam buckle. Wanna make a quick video of how that buckle works for me? :smile:

So we actually pulled off the stock strap and installed the branded "real" booster straps. My fitter said that while Technica is trying to use their stock one in the same manner with the buckle (so more secure than Velcro), the design doesn't actually accomplish what you are trying to achieve with it. I believe that is wasn't very elastic, which is where the booster strap is (in varying options of stiffness with more or less layers). Maybe a patent issue. I can take pics and/or videos of the booster straps I now have if you are unfamiliar with them, but unfortunately the stock ones are long gone for this purpose. Actually I'm not sure now if I even took them with me after removal, I could check if they made it home with me somewhere lol. Hope this description of the difference helps, but let me know if it isn't clear or if you have any specific questions about it!

sorcamc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No that is actually perfectly clear, and on my last boots I also had the real booster strap that has some elasticity in it. I have just now tried on the new Solomon 110 low volume boot and I think it might be a little bit too big in the heel area. This is a 265 and I also ordered a 255 that should be here in a couple of days. My first impressionOf these boots is that I love the way they look and they feel really great, unfortunately a little too great and comfy for a ski boot

Attachments

• E92E5108-CED2-4800-8EB6-10E1A8F48C79.jpeg
    E92E5108-CED2-4800-8EB6-10E1A8F48C79.jpeg
    586.7 KB · Views: 10

sorcamc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You can see that straight out of the box I have them on the tightest settings. The last doesn’t feel narrow to me at all

sorcamc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Missy, do you have very skinny ankles, out of curiosity. That is one of my biggest issues. Very narrow heels, skinny ankles and lower legs

Reactions: AJM

MissySki

Angel Diva
Missy, do you have very skinny ankles, out of curiosity. That is one of my biggest issues. Very narrow heels, skinny ankles and lower legs

I have skinny heels and ankles, but wider forefoot bony protrusions, and a nonexistent instep height.. :doh: Dimensions that all don't go together at all. Everything feels nice and snug here, and the front is much better after we stretched to match the shape of my wider forefoot as that was very crunched for me to start.

sorcamc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The struggle is real

Attachments

• D0D185DD-807E-4A5C-8361-236A381D7C7D.jpeg
    D0D185DD-807E-4A5C-8361-236A381D7C7D.jpeg
    291.5 KB · Views: 19
  • B089520D-6293-477B-90F4-92C2C28804AF.jpeg
    B089520D-6293-477B-90F4-92C2C28804AF.jpeg
    288.5 KB · Views: 19

MissySki

Angel Diva
The struggle is real

Dang! Okay I can almost touch my middle finger and thumb around my ankle, but you are well past that. So they are not as skinny as yours for sure.

I think we are pretty well matched on the instep though! Sorry for the bare foot!

Attachments

• D691486C-7E2F-4153-B325-86B3A91EE086.jpeg
    D691486C-7E2F-4153-B325-86B3A91EE086.jpeg
    311.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 99DEA056-1ABD-41BD-A167-DFE3CF3F1484.jpeg
    99DEA056-1ABD-41BD-A167-DFE3CF3F1484.jpeg
    354.2 KB · Views: 9

sorcamc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Dang! Okay I can almost touch my middle finger and thumb around my ankle, but you are well past that. So they are not as skinny as yours for sure.

I think we are pretty well matched on the instep though! Sorry for the bare foot!
YES!!! We are practically related! You must be REALLY smart too :smile: LOLOL

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The visual analogy I like is something I saw here, where I believe there was a pic of Mikaela standing in a lift line, resting forward, letting the boot support her. My basic understanding from that was, if your boot is “supportive” (higher flex) enough, your naturally forward stance will feel comfortable. Is that a fair way to think about it?
Sure. Bend forward at the ankles with heels firmly weighted. It takes some getting used to, but for me is very comfortable when I'm relaxing as well as when I'm skiing. The boot's inbuilt forward lean needs to match the foot's dorsiflexion range of motion.

That bending forward at the ankles with the boot solidly contacting my shin is one of the things I miss the most when ski season ends. It's really comfy and secure feeling.

Note: I have a Booster Strap installed which I clamp around the liner's top, holding the liner snug against my lower leg. The original Velcro strap is gone. The Booster is inside the plastic shell, not outside it as the Velcro strap would be. The buckles hold the plastic shell tight around the liner and the Booster strap.

sorcamc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So I was supposed to get the smax 110 in both sizes, but got a call that they sold the 25.5 that I thought they had. Long story short, they had the smax 120 in 255. Keep in mind my foot measure 269, but the narrowness gets me. So, today I got the 255 in the Solomon smax 120. Look at the size difference! I put the back of my foot on a plank line. The 265 seem so much bigger!! These fit much better except my poor big toe, but that can be fixed. My old boots I had to have the liner sliced and mended for my big toe. Otherwise these feel great!! Waiting for the Mach pros to ship now and will see which boot wins.

Attachments

• 8FAFEBD9-28D2-4F1B-8C99-0EDFA1734EA1.jpeg
    8FAFEBD9-28D2-4F1B-8C99-0EDFA1734EA1.jpeg
    617.2 KB · Views: 12

MissySki

Angel Diva
So I was supposed to get the smax 110 in both sizes, but got a call that they sold the 25.5 that I thought they had. Long story short, they had the smax 120 in 255. Keep in mind my foot measure 269, but the narrowness gets me. So, today I got the 255 in the Solomon smax 120. Look at the size difference! I put the back of my foot on a plank line. The 265 seem so much bigger!! These fit much better except my poor big toe, but that can be fixed. My old boots I had to have the liner sliced and mended for my big toe. Otherwise these feel great!! Waiting for the Mach pros to ship now and will see which boot wins.

Ohh yeah huge difference there!! Looking forward to your comparison when the Machs come in!

sorcamc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You know what else was truly remarkable to me? The 120s r so much more performance oriented than the 110. Just take a look at both boots side by side, bucked the same. I feel I can actually flex the 120 better and it’s probably because it doesn’t come up as high? Almost want to get the 120 in 265 to compare apples to apples!

Attachments

• D3C754EC-87E5-4E5F-B3EB-B58F363240CC.jpeg
    D3C754EC-87E5-4E5F-B3EB-B58F363240CC.jpeg
    430.1 KB · Views: 18

sorcamc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’m not sure why my pics always go sideways, but here is the front view. Amazing what a few more bucks buys in terms of fit. Look how much more slender these are around the ankle area.

Attachments

• 9ABAB5E8-9F23-4A1C-B485-7CEE1B711E9A.jpeg
    9ABAB5E8-9F23-4A1C-B485-7CEE1B711E9A.jpeg
    576.7 KB · Views: 8

MissySki

Angel Diva
I’m not sure why my pics always go sideways, but here is the front view. Amazing what a few more bucks buys in terms of fit. Look how much more slender these are around the ankle area.

It does usually seem that the higher you go on flex the higher the material quality goes and their being more performance oriented. There looks to be a massive size difference all around between those two! Are they the same volume as well I assume?

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It does usually seem that the higher you go on flex the higher the material quality goes and their being more performance oriented. There looks to be a massive size difference all around between those two! Are they the same volume as well I assume?

This always annoys me b/c I need a low volume, high performance boot but in a softer flex... and the options are just so limited.

MissySki

Angel Diva
This always annoys me b/c I need a low volume, high performance boot but in a softer flex... and the options are just so limited.

At least you can soften to a certain extent though? I don't know if maybe that's the thought process in manufacturing, that high performance boots are often going to be further customized in some capacity.. and having a higher flex can accommodate a larger audience since it can be lessened with a bootfitter versus lower flex being able to be stiffened more.

newboots

Angel Diva
Interesting! I've been shopping the Salomon lines too, and settled on the S/Pro 100. My coworker (boot guy) at the shop steered me to the Pro version rather than the Max version. I'll have to ask why.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna