• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think the Astral is a great ski. I can particularly see it's value as an intermediate ski, but could be pushed by somebody advanced too. It held up well when I was testing its speed limit.

Sometimes, I also think shop guys assume that everybody's end goal is to be ripping down double blacks at hair-on-fire speeds and searching out the most difficult terrain. That certainly isn't the case for the majority, and ski recs should suit the preferences of the skier.

Fitmom

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks ladies! I called the ski shop and talked to the owner about my concerns. He told me I could try them out before I leave for my trip and if I didn’t love them he’d take them back and set me up with a different setup. He said he’d either drive them to me or ship it...so that makes me feel better than I can try them out and am not stuck with them.

As far as the boots. The guy did take out the liner and fit my foot in there. Then he stuck his hand in the back doing something (not sure what). When I put my boots on they are comfortable but all my toes are touching the top of the shoe (he said that was good). When I went forward to that ski position they pulled back away from the front of the ski. Other than the slight discomfort in the shin (I have athletic calves. Not huge but athletic).

He didn’t try adjusting the other boots. He just grabbed me a different brand every time. Im going to try the whole system out and if it’s not cool then I’m going to return the whole lot. I drove 2 hours with baby in tow one way for this place :(.

I’m so glad for you ladies already! You are definitely a huge help!

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As for the skis...I realize that shorter skis are often recommended for a newer skier. I am 5'0" (much older and heavier than you, too) and ski on a 156.

When I replace those, I will go longer if the ski has a significant rocker. (More rocker means the ski has less in contact with the snow. Good for powder, but less effective edge for hardback) I will definitely demo to see how the rocker affects performance.

The Elans you bought have a really different camber/rocker combination that I cannot speak to from experience, but a 152 ski, at your height of 5'5", seems short to me. You may outgrow them quickly.

Poor FitMom, we are just so critical today. Hopefully, you can take something positive from our suggestions and find what's best for you. I know it's hard. :frusty: We are here for you.

Fitmom

Certified Ski Diva
As for the skis...I realize that shorter skis are often recommended for a newer skier. I am 5'0" (much older and heavier than you, too) and ski on a 156.

When I replace those, I will go longer if the ski has a significant rocker. (More rocker means the ski has less in contact with the snow. Good for powder, but less effective edge for hardback) I will definitely demo to see how the rocker affects performance.

The Elans you bought have a really different camber/rocker combination that I cannot speak to from experience, but a 152 ski, at your height of 5'5", seems short to me. You may outgrow them quickly.

Poor FitMom, we are just so critical today. Hopefully, you can take something positive from our suggestions and find what's best for you. I know it's hard. :frusty: We are here for you.

I appreciate all the feedback and help! I want to learn as much as possible about my new obsession. Lol. I was like this with CrossFit. I’d rather know all the stuff now than make a mistake. I really do appreciate al your experience and feedback ! :smile:

kiki

Angel Diva
Good luck, the fact they have a good return policy is good.

on the sizing, i am 5'2 150lbs amd my beginner skis were 152 long. Currently i ski 165 long skis. I am an 8 - 81/2 shoe and i have a high arch and wide feet. I have very large calves and tiny ankles. My first pair of boots was 25.5, and i got a lot of knee problems and skiing problems as a result. I used them about 3 times. They are still in my closet. My last two pair of boots from bootfitters were 24.5 and both times the bootfitters made adjustments to the calf to fit me (think power tools).

lisamamot

Angel Diva
@Fitmom, it is wonderful the shop is willing to work with you on this if you end-up feeling you did not come home with the correct equipment. That is a long way to commute especially with a little one in tow!

On the shell fit, he was measuring how much space you have behind your heel when your big toe is brushing the front of the boot. I am not a huge fan of using stacked fingers since everyone's fingers are a different size. I much prefer when a fitter uses wooden dowels in different circumferences (1/2", 3/4", 1" based on the skier level and fit desire) to determine the shell fit. I expect you would not want anything more than a 3/4" gap. That is something you could check at home as well to see what sort of fit you ended up in - dowels are cheap!

I would also encourage you to measure your foot at home. Some people say to trace, but for me the easiest way (and I know someone on another thread mentioned this too) was to put my foot on the paper and the paper and my heel against a wall and then draw a line/dot where my big toe ends, making sure to keep the pencil or pen vertical and not letting it dip at an angle. Measure that distance in cm and that gives you a pretty solid indication of your size. My 9.5 street shoe foot measures 25.5 cm which is spot on for my 25.5 ski boot size.

When you say you hit the top of the boot I am not sure if you meant the top or the end? If you have a taller foot it is possible you are hitting the top of the boot and it feels like the end - Lange boots have a bit of a lower profile than some other brands. When you flexed and felt your foot draw away from that pressure you would also have been moving to a taller portion of the boot.

Sorry for being a pest, but I am skeptical that your 8-8.5 street size foot is in the proper size with a 25.5 boot. I came back to skiing about 5 years ago after a 25 year absence from the sport and it took a season for me to decide I was in the wrong size/fit with my first pair of boots - I had no recourse at that point other than to buy another pair which was an expensive lesson for me :frown:

SnowSeeker

Angel Diva
Hi! You definitely didn’t offend.

I haven’t felt really great about the ski purchase since I got them. I’m fairly new to the sport and I even questioned him on putting me in men’s ski’s that were for more advanced skiers. I honestly think I might take them back unused.

My husband got a great set but I’m thinking I might wait until we get to Colorado and see if they’re more knowledgeable. They had a pair of Nordica Astral 84’s I was eyeing but they strongly discouraged me from them. Said I’d outgrow them too quickly. I just know I’m used to a softer ski and it just didn’t sit right. I asked all kinds of questions and the guy told me to “not get hung up on numbers” ‍♀️ The guy that fit us for the boots was pretty in-depth I thought. We were there for over 3 hours.

I wear a size 8-8.5 shoe and he gave me a 25.5 boot. The first few pairs I tried fit lengthwise but one was pinching me too tight on both shins and the other was putting a lot of pressure on my ankle bone the longer I wore it. It didn’t let up even with a forward ski position. The third pair felt tight but good through the boot but slightly pinched on my shins. He said that would break in and go away. ‍♀️

I’ve tried calling other ski shops in the state to see if someone is more knowledgeable but none of them are familiar with both the Elan’s and the BP 88.

I don’t want to assume anything but I wonder if he was just trying to clear old inventory out of his warehouse. ‍♀️

I’m a size 8.5 in street shoes and my current boot is mondo 24.5 (it may even be mondo 24...the sticker is worn off the boots so I’m basing it on the shell/sole plate stamp which says 24/24.5) A standard mondo conversion chart, like you would find online, probably says 8.5 equals 25.5 mondo but those charts are often way off. My foot would be moving all over the place in a 25.5.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
To add to the Lange toe box information. I have a problem with the toe box on many shoes being too low. (think height, not length) My boot fitter was able to heat and stretch out the top of the toe box right at my big toe on my Langes.

As for the large calf problem, I have a large, muscular calf and skinny ankles. The boot fitter put a heel lift under my orthotic to raise up my calf just enough to be (mostly) out of the boot. That also raised my foot just enough to hold my heel down well.

One day after skiing, I found a developing hot spot. I took a photo of the red mark, showed it to him the next time I was in, and he made an adjustment. Perfect fit now.

It's trial and error when you get into the final fit, but the experienced fitters understand what you need.

Fitmom

Certified Ski Diva
Hey ladies!

Update: I got my boots sorted out. Same brand just down a size. I also hd a chance to try those skis. I’m OBSESSED. Obviously I’m used to soft rental skis but these felt amazing. I felt like the gripped the snow a lot better (if that makes sense). My turns felt easier and I felt sturdier on these skis. I was so nervous about them. Obviously Iowa doesn’t have any mountains...just hills. I’m bringing them to Keystone to see how I fair with the blue runs there :smile:. Thanks again for your help on the boots!

Fitmom

Certified Ski Diva
So I’m sitting in the airport after my first weekend skiing in real mountains using my new skis and boots.

It was AMAZING! I warmed up with a few greens and then did blue runs all weekend. We basically hit almost every blue run in Keystone. I will say that I absolutely loved my skis on nice freshly groomed trails but as soon as it got tore up at the end of the day I found that they would “catch” on bumps or piles of snow.

Is this a ski thing or a user thing? I think my boots could’ve been a bit tighter so maybe that was it? I’m really new to the sport so any insight would be helpful! Thanks!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's a user thing typically. It just takes miles and miles on that type of snow to get used to!
Remind me which skis you ended up with?

MissySki

Angel Diva
I find that you need to be asserive in that stuff, otherwise it can push you around. For me there is a mental handicap sometimes because I don’t want to overly commit in case I get caught up and tossed around, so then I back off and it causes me to get caught up and tossed around.. I have also found that some skis are better with plowing through, depending on the amount, than others, though might also be related to skier style.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I find that you need to be asserive in that stuff, otherwise it can push you around. For me there is a mental handicap sometimes because I don’t want to overly commit in case I get caught up and tossed around, so then I back off and it causes me to get caught up and tossed around.. I have also found that some skis are better with plowing through, depending on the amount, than others, though might also be related to skier style.

Truth!

Fitmom

Certified Ski Diva
I got the Elan Amphibio 80 xti’s in the 152 length :smile:

I figured it was a user problem :smile: I’m still working on my confidence. Thankfully I didn’t eat it at all this weekend lol.

Now that I think of it I was very passive when it came to rougher trails. I’ll definitely have to work on being more assertive! I just can’t believe how fun this weekend was! We went for hours on end! For those of you that live close to mountains...I’m jealous!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna